Cap Question

xxdbxx

Cap Question
« on: 28 May 2010, 12:13 am »
If I want to try some sonicaps and i have the 80hz filter on since I am using a separate sub does that mean I would replace the  smaller caps (1.1 i think? i do not have it open just now) or the 2.2µF caps?  and would I get the 600 or the 200vdc ones?  I now have my wbt 4% solder standing by for the power on cap delay fix and figured while I was in there and had it apart I might try something new out.

thanks
db

xxdbxx

Re: Cap Question
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2010, 02:49 pm »
I just wanted to add a bit more info.. It is a new One.2  and after reading the manual I think that I would be replacing the .1 cap (not 1.1 as i stated in the previous post) since i am using the 80Hz filter. 

thanks again
db

Parkfly

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2010, 03:27 pm »
db, I'm really interested in hearing how the sonicaps work out for you!
If I was doing it, I would replace the big 2.2 caps with your new sonicaps.
That way I could use the jumpers to switch back and forth between the
original cap and your new sonicap. By moving the jumpers, you could
quickly switch back and forth, to facilitate a comparison test for sonic differences.
As far as voltage breakdown, the 200 volt rating should be fine.
But, a question arises as to the possible sonic differences
in a 200 volter vs a 600 volter... aren't the 600's larger in size?
Good luck! Sounds like fun.
Harold

xxdbxx

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2010, 03:45 pm »
So do you mean for me to replace the 2.2 virtuecaps that are in there now with .1 sonicaps so that i could switch between the 2 different sets of .1 caps?  if so that does sound like a good idea. it would be very easy then to hear differences.  that does sound like a good idea harold if i understand correctly.

db

Parkfly

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2010, 03:48 pm »
Yes, yes, you got it db!  :thumb:

classicjt2

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2010, 05:14 pm »
Hey guys-

That sounds like a great idea. I looked at the sizes of the caps, and while the 2.2 mf size won't fit in the smaller Virtue amps, I believe just about any 0.1 mf would fit. The Mundorf Silver-Oils are less than an inch long, and the Sonicap Platinums are 1.175"; the rest of the caps even smaller.

James