I know they say there are no "stupid" questions... but....

Budget_Mike

Ok, I own a Music Hall Classic turntable, immediately went out and purchased an AT VM540ML cartridge. The Music Halls Spirit cartridge comes pre-aligned and ready to go. Could I, in theory, create a template of that alignment and simply match up the new cartridge to the copied template?

Going to do my best following "The beginners guild to changing cartridges" sticky but as you can imagine I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with the vast amount of knowledge and terminology. I do more research then is probably good for my health, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. As soon as I gain access to the search function from the moderators I promise I will be using that as a first option.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: I know they say there are no "stupid" questions... but....
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2020, 12:06 pm »
Much easier to go to Conrad Hoffman's free stuff page and download the Arc template generator.  You can print out a perfect Arc template specifically for your tonearm with only the effective length of your tonearm found in the owners manual.  A few caveats.  Make sure your printer is set to NOT scale to page size so the template prints correctly.  He gives you a measuring line to check on the template.  There's a zillion options for any alignment you care to experiment with, just go with the defaults to begin with.  Print on plain paper until you get it right, then use some heavy weight paper for the final one, I like glossy photo paper, most anything will work.  Don't try to cut a circle for the spindle hole, just an X across the circle, it will then align perfectly when you put it on the platter.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Budget_Mike

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2020, 12:24 pm »
effective length of your tonearm found in the owners manual.

Manual states effective tonearm length is 221.5mm using the arc generator I'm assuming that number gets inputted in the (Spindle to pivot distance) section? To keep it simplistic choose (typical) for inner/outer groove and Lofgren A then print and measure to 200mm mark for accuracy. Love the cut an X idea! I really appreciate the great info.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2020, 01:09 pm »
Another source for info & protractor template download: http://www.vacuumstate.com/index.dna?rubrik=4&lang=2

Budget_Mike

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2020, 03:52 pm »
Another source for info & protractor template download: http://www.vacuumstate.com/index.dna?rubrik=4&lang=2

Great! Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2020, 07:43 pm »
Manual states effective tonearm length is 221.5mm using the arc generator I'm assuming that number gets inputted in the (Spindle to pivot distance) section? To keep it simplistic choose (typical) for inner/outer groove and Lofgren A then print and measure to 200mm mark for accuracy. Love the cut an X idea! I really appreciate the great info.

That's correct.  From memory I think there's a default for inner and outer groove, if that's what you mean by selecting typical.  As you go down the rabbit hole of cartridge alignment the generator gives options to adjust to your heart's content.  Some people with older Japinese arms or Regas use Stevenson, some with specialized albums change the run-out dimensions.  There's no wrong or right alignment geometry, just those with higher and lower distortion in different areas of the record.  You'll get the idea for aligning both points correctly with practice.  It's a little frustrating at first until you realize it's always one direction when the inner point is either over or under hung relative to the outer point.  The result is perfect alignment.