Any Love for Audio Technica MC Carts Here?

SET Man

Any Love for Audio Technica MC Carts Here?
« on: 2 Sep 2020, 04:13 am »
Hey!

As my Benz Micro ACE HO is getting old, a little over 12 years old now and unfortunately Benz Micro is no longer in business I think. So, I have been snooping around thinking of a replacement.

I noticed that Audio Technica have quite a selection of MC carts. The current AT-OC series range from $239 for AT-OC9XEB  to $729 AT-OC9XSL. I find it is surprising to see an MC cart at $239. Love the blue color though. And also the AT33 series. You don't here much about these MC carts in prints or the net.

So, anyone here using Audio Technica MC cart? And how do feel about it compare to other MC carts that you have used? Curious minds want to know.

Buddy

Sonny

Re: Any Love for Audio Technica MC Carts Here?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2020, 05:03 am »
I downgraded from an Ortofon Cadenza Black to a OC9mkii and it's been surprisingly satisfying!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2020, 08:22 am »
You may consider before purchase what will match the gain you need.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2020, 06:17 pm »
+1 loving user of  Audio Technica cartridges for decades both MC and MM. My earlier vintage AT-OC9 remains one of my favorite MCs. They deliver the sonic goods and build quality. Typically damned with faint praise because not as steeped in myth as the brands made by tiny boutique operations.

As one who wants my HiFi to look as good as it sounds and owner of a couple of bayonet headshell mount arms I am jonesing for the new OC-9 plus AT-LH13/15/18H headshell combos. Reminds me of the exotic Fidelity Research FR-7. A careful examination shows that unlike the classic FR-7 the Audio Technica solution allows full adjustment of overhang and azimuth.

FR-7 is on arm (also a Fidelity Research) playing record.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2020, 06:53 pm »
Buddy you may like to know that Benz Micro is not out of business.

https://benzmicro-northamerica.com/

Curious about the Glider series myself.

Bob Stark

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:30 pm »
Hey Norman,

I have a heavily modified Lenco 78 player with most of JT Nantais' mods or upgrades.  It is a 24" x 20" x 7" TT plinth.  I have plenty of room for adding a second tonearm/cartridge combo.  My Whest 3.0 RDT SE phono has rom for 2 separate tonearm leads.  However, the Whest has a spot under the phono section that would need to have the gain adjusted each time I would switch cartridge/arm combos.  One of my cartridges is a LOMC and the other is a MM.  I already have 2 tonearms but haven't tried to sell the one yet.  How often do you switch to a different arm/cartridge combo on your setup with the 3 arms?  I need to build a new plinth for a slightly better chassis for the Lenco soon.  The arms I have are a Pete Riggle Woody, and a Trans-Fi Terminator with all the upgrades.  Cartridges are a Charisma Reference 2 MC and a Grace F-9E w/ Soundsmith's level 2 stylus and cantilever--owner replaceable MM.  My system is very good sounding and I'm keeping all components until something bad happens that can't be fixed.  Is it worth adding a second arm to this that is quite different than the Woody?  Rest of the system is VMPS RM40 BCSE speakers, TRL DUDE preamp, Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE mono amps w/ TDSS level 3 upgrades, Modwright Sony 5400 Signature Truth CD, and excellent cables all around plus much of the PPT stuff.  The analog setup also has a Walker Precision Motor Controller which will be employed when I finish my plinth rebuild.  The setup with the Charisma and PR Woody would be my primary setup, but would there be many times I might prefer the Grace with the TFT?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Bob

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:40 pm »
Buddy you may like to know that Benz Micro is not out of business.

https://benzmicro-northamerica.com/

Curious about the Glider series myself.

Hey!

Hmmm.... I guess the company is still around. I remembered after their founder passed away they disappeared under the radar. Look like they have dealers in Canada but not in the US. Still, I wonder how they carts are like today.

Benz Micro used to have a very good trade in program. Not sure about now, even with trade in I don't know if I can afford them now. The price of some MC carts have gone up considerably. Would love to get the Wood S though.

By the way, their Glider is one of most beautiful cart to me.

Anyway, I'm still would like to hear more about Audio Technica MC carts since they look like a great alternative price wise.

Buddy

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2020, 07:48 pm »
+1 loving user of  Audio Technica cartridges for decades both MC and MM. My earlier vintage AT-OC9 remains one of my favorite MCs. They deliver the sonic goods and build quality. Typically damned with faint praise because not as steeped in myth as the brands made by tiny boutique operations.

As one who wants my HiFi to look as good as it sounds and owner of a couple of bayonet headshell mount arms I am jonesing for the new OC-9 plus AT-LH13/15/18H headshell combos. Reminds me of the exotic Fidelity Research FR-7. A careful examination shows that unlike the classic FR-7 the Audio Technica solution allows full adjustment of overhang and azimuth.

Hey!

Man! How do you decide which cart/arm you want to use each time?  8)

I downgraded from an Ortofon Cadenza Black to a OC9mkii and it's been surprisingly satisfying!

"Satisfying" I like that. And that what is all about. I guess it is not a downgrade if you enjoy it as much or better than the more expensive one. Buying audio stuff is tricky, more money doesn't always mean better. Anyway, I don't think AT still make the OC9 cart?

Buddy