Digital Vinyl

Mag

Digital Vinyl
« on: 14 Jun 2020, 02:24 am »
Purchased a Rega phono amp awhile ago that has digital out. Problem is I needed a usb B out to usb B in, which I didn't have. So just ordered two usb B to A adapters.

With the adapters I will be able to route the output to dac-dac-mixer-cd recorder. Should get excellent results.

I already recorded a few albums with very good results using analog out but this adds another conversion step to my process. This should eliminate a step and hopefully I'll get excellent recordings the first time.

Anyone else converting Vinyl to Digital? :smoke:

toocool4

Re: Digital Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2020, 01:05 pm »
I did not know Rega made Phonostage with digital out? I use the Rega Ios.

And no i have not converted my LP's to digital, not going to either. I just enjoy playing the records.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2020, 07:26 pm »
I did not know Rega made Phonostage with digital out? I use the Rega Ios.

And no i have not converted my LP's to digital, not going to either. I just enjoy playing the records.

Well you don't have to convert to CD or computer Files. You can just play it through the dacs & mixer to amps & speakers.

I was listening last night to an album I transferred to usb stick. Comparing it to the same remastered album on cd. I was hearing a depth in detail on some passages I hadn't heard with the cd remaster.

For me I don't really have space for a TT. So I have a make-shift setup to get transfers done and when I think I'm finished will be putting it away. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2020, 12:04 am »
It works!!! :banana piano:

Finally got my TT connected by usb to computer. From here I can edit song/s with a Sound editor and/or bypass to dac-pre-processor- mixer- amps- speakers.

Had trouble getting sound thru usb to computer when not on Record. Fooled around with computer sound settings, mainly usb input, and voila, sounds wonderful!

Now I have to fix TT as it does not work at proper speed.  :cry:

Also works with usb stick, so I can import or save songs to usb stick.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2020, 01:41 am »
Screenshot of Sound Editor

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2020, 06:50 pm »
Since nobody is asking questions I thought I should give a bit more info.
I have my usb set for dvd quality 48k, which shows up on dac lights, it is then upsampled to 192k.

Having the usb input working I don't really need the Sound Editor, I prefer to Record on the mixer end. With the Sound Editor depending on which one used. I can eliminate or reduce pop,clicks, noise, add EQ, gain, normalize, or other sound effects. Also can adjust beats per minute, stuff like that.

That's all I can think of at the moment. :smoke:

billybuck

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2020, 02:31 am »
I have my phono pre going into a USB audio interface connected to a mini-PC that sits behind my equipment shelf. The audio goes in at high res and comes out at the same res to my stereo's DAC. The PC doesn't have a screen - I remote into it via my desktop PC or tablet. It runs a program called ClickRepair that does click removal in real time. It also runs a version of the freeware EQAPO, which can be used to sum the channels into mono, apply DSP for room correction, etc. I can also easily capture either the de-clicked or raw audio to a wav file just by launching Audacity on the mini-PC.

I've found there's not a lot of interest in the audio forums for real-time digital vinyl techniques because many believe the analog magic gets stripped away when the signal is digitized. For me though, digitizing makes sense because I have a big collection of stuff that's hard to find in other formats, and some of it isn't in the best condition.

When I first installed this system, I split the audio cables coming out of the phono pre so I could also have a "pure" analog option for records in good shape. Eventually, I realized it was unnecessary because even with careful A/B'ing I really couldn't detect any difference at all between the digital and analog output.