Bi-amping with NuForce Reference 9s

gman

« on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:04 pm »
I am seriously considering bi-amping my speakers (Von Schweikert Audio VR4jrs) and using a pair of NuForce Reference 9s for the bass modules. I currently have an ARC VT-100MK11 that I will be running to the mid/high modules.

For a crossover, I will be using a Behringer DCX2496. The signal will go from my APL Denon 3910 into the Behringer, out to both the ARC, and the pair of Reference 9s.

My question is, for this application, should I use the regular NuForce Reference 9s, or the version with the extended bass? Also, what exactly is the difference between the regular version and the extended bass version?

Any other feedback, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Gary

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Bi-amping with NuForce Reference 9s
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: gman
I am seriously considering bi-amping my speakers (Von Schweikert Audio VR4jrs) and using a pair of NuForce Reference 9s for the bass modules. I currently have an ARC VT-100MK11 that I will be running to the mid/high modules.

For a crossover, I will be using a Behringer DCX2496. The signal will go from my APL Denon 3910 into the Behringer, out to both the ARC, and the pair of Reference 9s.

My question is, for this application, should I use the regular NuForce Reference 9s, or the version with the exten ...

Seeing as you want to use them for the bass modules, I would think you want to get the extended bass version.  If memory serves me correctly, the extended bass version might possibly impact the midrange or highs in some small way.  This of course wouldn't be an issue in your application.

George

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:41 pm »
George is correct.

The "extended" bass option is exactly for your very purpose, as well as those who use them to drive passive subs.

It offers a flatter LF extesnion, at the expense of same on the high end.

KJ

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2005, 10:26 pm »
Nuforce offers an upgrade where they double the input decoupling cap.  This results in two things:

1) the attenuation is altered from -0.9dB to -0.3dB between 100Hz and 20Hz.
2) the frequency range is lowered to 15Hz.

If your speakers can dig that low, the upgrade might be worth your while.  Nuforce recommends purchasing the WBT RCA option if you don't use balanced cables (although at this juncture I think Jason combined the two options together).  If your speakers are limited above 20Hz, then save the cash.

-KJ

gman

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2005, 04:30 pm »
Thanks George, John, and KJ for the clarification and suggestions.

While my current speakers don't go down to 15Hz, who knows what I'll have next week.  :D

If anyone else has any comments to add, I'd love to hear more suggestions/insights.

Thanks again!

Gary