DSP Xovers and Eq

paulg

DSP Xovers and Eq
« on: 24 May 2018, 06:06 pm »
Not sure what other circle would have been more appropriate for this topic, but as it pertains to my DIY four-way speaker system, I thought I'd start here.

Does anyone have experience with, or is honestly knowledgeable about, the use of digital signal processing? I am intrigued by a DSP unit that allows specification of high-pass and low-pass filters for 8 channels (4-way stereo) and also provides a highly flexible parametric equalizer. It's other attractions for me are balanced ins and outs and Apple OS compatibility.

I am currently using dbx 223SX and 234SX crossovers, and a 215S graphic eq, to affect this 4-way, and I am very much okay with these. They are high quality pieces with good CMR, dynamic range, and S:N specs.

The unit I am looking at is the MiniDPS 4X100, available from Parts Express. It packs all these functions in just one rack unit. The ability to precisely define all filter parameters makes DSP extremely attractive. But if the sound is not as good as the dbx analog system, it will be a waste of $500.

So I thought I'd ask around.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: DSP Xovers and Eq
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2018, 03:52 am »
Absolutely in the correct circle.  Try Rich (member HAL), he has extensive experience with DSP running line source speakers with phase correct time delay and has IT experience.