OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
hi im new to this forum and intrested in ordering a set of these sub cabinets to build like i don't have enough to fix or re do around the house . lol can i get a idea on what the shipping and cost will be for a set of twin sub cabinets ? and shipped to 10573 thats new york . thanks  I'm so interested in building them to go with my set of maggies i have re built .  i had maggies 30 years ago and always felt they would do much better with a sub and releleaved of some of the bass they make .  thanks  mark

Mark,

You have enough posts you should be able to PM Jay, Captainhemo, about the costs.

You will be amazed at the combo of your Maggies and these subs. Have fun.

Mike

Captainhemo

hi im new to this forum and intrested in ordering a set of these sub cabinets to build like i don't have enough to fix or re do around the house . lol can i get a idea on what the shipping and cost will be for a set of twin sub cabinets ? and shipped to 10573 thats new york . thanks  I'm so interested in building them to go with my set of maggies i have re built .  i had maggies 30 years ago and always felt they would do much better with a sub and releleaved of some of the bass they make .  thanks  mark

Mark
Shoot me an email at captainhemo at shaw.ca

jay

kimoxxx

Re: H-Frame Flat Packs
« Reply #582 on: 18 Jun 2020, 06:08 am »
This is great news for me too. I'm moving to Vancouver Washington around the end of December or early January, so may be able to avoid needing you to ship me a pair, which won't be cheap. Talk to you later Jay---Eric.

sorry to bring up this old post but i see you may live close to me and i had questions about the sound these produce, i am 100% down to get and make these but have no idea what they sound like. i live in orchards

shumi

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs
« Reply #583 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:20 am »
Guys,
for the triple stack when you are daisy chaining speaker terminals on the dc side, are you twisting speaker cables ends together, soldering, or just inserting them side by side in each terminal . The wires  provided by GR research are solid copper and appear to be difficult to twist together. If twisted will the twisted pair fit into the terminal opening?

Danny Richie

« Reply #584 on: 28 Jun 2020, 01:23 am »
Guys,
for the triple stack when you are daisy chaining speaker terminals on the dc side, are you twisting speaker cables ends together, soldering, or just inserting them side by side in each terminal . The wires  provided by GR research are solid copper and appear to be difficult to twist together. If twisted will the twisted pair fit into the terminal opening?

They'll twist well and hold well. Put something on them and give them a tight twist then just slide them into the binding posts.

Captainhemo

You  can  slip  them in the quick connects side by  side,works fine.  Just make sure you  give thjem a little "tug" to be sure they are biting.
Have also  soldered  them in the past....  hard to get   the  2 16awg solid  wires to sit nice onthe smallish tabs  though.  If you're going to solder,  do it  pre-no rez  ,  much easier.

jay

bonsiguy

« Reply #586 on: 15 Jul 2020, 07:17 pm »
hi guys  i just got my set of flat packs from jay via ups. all i can say i was amazed  by his packing job first. than when i took them all out the quality of workmanship is top notch as is the material . putting the first one together was a peace of cake and it went together completely square with 5 clamps . thanks jay for this great product you and danny have a great thing going here .

Captainhemo

« Reply #587 on: 21 Jul 2020, 08:06 pm »
Glad they are  going together  well for  you.  We dry fit everything and typically give everything   a light sanding after final baffle machining (roundovers / wiring holes  depending on driver orientation)  and any other  routing extras are done. 
Feel free to post some pictures when you  all done if you like.

Also,  thank you for the feedback always appreciate it.
And finally,   packing  credit  goes to    Don (endo2112), he's the master  packer that makes these things pretty much  bomb proof

jay
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2020, 06:45 pm by Captainhemo »

bonsiguy

« Reply #588 on: 12 Sep 2020, 11:01 pm »

hi guys got my subs up and running and couldn't be happier with them . thanks danny and jay for your great products and workmanship as they wouldn't have come out as nice as they did without your engineering . a few pics of them i still need to dial them in better and play with placement . my room is tough and getting smaller every day lol.

Early B.

« Reply #589 on: 12 Sep 2020, 11:23 pm »
Awesome!!!  I like how you have them connected to the amps. Are the wheels temporary?

bonsiguy

« Reply #590 on: 13 Sep 2020, 12:23 am »
Awesome!!!  I like how you have them connected to the amps. Are the wheels temporary?

ya there the nutrik connectors danny recommends they work well and are well made .
yes the castors are temp for now as i have to move speakers back when I'm not listening to them . in another year or so when i retire and move i will have a room set up as my man cave and put spikes on the subs I'm thinking  there just too dam heavy to lift them now to slide out of the way .

Jaytor

« Reply #591 on: 13 Sep 2020, 03:21 pm »
You might consider Herbie's Gliders. They would slide easily on your wood floors while providing a good foundation for the subs. I'm using them on my triple subs and they work great.

Early B.

« Reply #592 on: 13 Sep 2020, 05:25 pm »
You might consider Herbie's Gliders. They would slide easily on your wood floors while providing a good foundation for the subs. I'm using them on my triple subs and they work great.

Yep.

I use Auralex Acoustics SubDude-II Subwoofer Acoustic Isolation Platforms underneath my OB subs. Makes them easy to slide on my wood floor. I also screwed metal handles onto my amp boxes to make them easier to carry. 

bonsiguy

« Reply #593 on: 14 Sep 2020, 03:02 pm »
is there i issue with using castors i picked the ones with the softest wheels so they could aid in dampening ? kicking a few ideas around my head to use both possibly retractable spikes ?   

Early B.

« Reply #594 on: 14 Sep 2020, 03:15 pm »
is there i issue with using castors i picked the ones with the softest wheels so they could aid in dampening ? kicking a few ideas around my head to use both possibly retractable spikes ?

With either wheels or spikes or Herbies or whatever, the goal is to stabilize the speakers so they don't vibrate while playing. A simple test is to listen with wheels on, then wheels off. Crank up the volume. If there's no audible difference, put the wheels back on.   

Captainhemo

« Reply #595 on: 14 Sep 2020, 04:14 pm »

hi guys got my subs up and running and couldn't be happier with them . thanks danny and jay for your great products and workmanship as they wouldn't have come out as nice as they did without your engineering . a few pics of them i still need to dial them in better and play with placement . my room is tough and getting smaller every day lol.

Nice  job man, they look great   :thumb:
Enjoy  !

jay

morganc

« Reply #596 on: 14 Oct 2020, 04:22 am »
I'm just about to start a build of the H Frames and need help! 
Anyone have a shopping list of exactly what I need to build the flat packs? 
And what are the easiest and best painting options? 
Thanks in advance!  I'm a doctor and haven't built anything since the subs for my blazer 20 years ago. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #597 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:20 am »
Clamps, glue, sander.  I couldn’t afford a pro finish so I painted them with Duratex.

morganc

« Reply #598 on: 14 Oct 2020, 03:04 pm »
What size clamps? How many?  And what brand of glue? 

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #599 on: 14 Oct 2020, 03:29 pm »
What size clamps? How many?  And what brand of glue?

This might be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBmmJzS_iU&t=2336s