radio interference

jules

radio interference
« on: 15 Dec 2021, 06:53 am »
I'm running a mobile phone at home, using a signal booster amp because of my remote location. the amp is great, where I couldn't receive even a text I can now have a conversation with no cut-outs or weakness.

I do have a small problem though ... interference to radio reception at what sounds like the sort of frequency and quality that might be transmitted from the 12V [cigarette lighter socket] plug which powers this system.

I'm thinking a capacitor across the +ve and -ve terminals of the power supply wiring.

Any other ideas out there?

mgalusha

Re: radio interference
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2021, 05:37 pm »
That might help, but the interconnects are the most likely place for interference to enter the system, good shielding is paramount. Some times a small cap on the input of the device can help filter out the RF.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2021, 05:39 pm »
Use WiFi Calling. 

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2021, 06:05 pm »
Try running your system temporarily on battery or linear PS to see if the cigarette adapter PS is the source of the interference. If it is, find a better PS with better output filter, etc. Make sure it is the same voltage and minimum required current rating.

The cheap PS in LED bulbs and USB 12V adapters definitely do cause radio interference. They mess up my TPMS in the car when charging a phone, and my garage door opener when I put LED bulb in the opener. Also just try moving the noisy PS farther away from any receiver.

jules

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2021, 10:00 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'll give this analytical approach a try first up:

Try running your system temporarily on battery or linear PS to see if the cigarette adapter PS is the source of the interference. If it is, find a better PS with better output filter, etc. Make sure it is the same voltage and minimum required current rating.

jules

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2022, 05:55 am »
As it turned out the radio antenna was picking up interference from the mobile phone booster ground wire. I was a bit surprised because there was at least a metre between the two wires plus I hadn't really expected that the booster ground wire would be emitting anything much.

End result is excellent phone reception for voice and text where before I couldn't manage either.