AV123 Forum not available?

serpent

Re: AV123 Forum not available?
« Reply #440 on: 9 Dec 2008, 05:01 am »
I think what keeps happening is cost over runs are killing MLS's business. Money ain't cheap and with all the shortfalls of opening the first factory in Cali, then the second, and with COG's not what they were, it seems that all monies pre-paid by customers went to finance this new growth. Take a healthy growing Company add these up and throw in a drop in value of the Dollar and you have Disaster. While Mark is a great guy and I think the forum was shut down to relieve some pressure off of his shoulders, unless he puts some of his burden upon someone else plate he won't succeed. It might boost moral and Co. spirit moving a guy up from shipping to CS or take a popular guy from the forums and give him a position, but it is not a business plan. There is no one there in his organization that can fill his shoes that can fill in in his absence from the forum or in his place of business. The knowledge needed isn't nor can be learned from withinit will only come from someone who was a Boss.

GeorgeHudetz

« Reply #441 on: 9 Dec 2008, 05:04 am »
Hi Guys.  Is this our new outpost?

As for the buying American thing, I can respect that.  However, I think it's worth noting that it wasn't greedy Chinese or Columbian businessmen that put us in this mess.

Personally, I have more concerns about QC than anything else.  Not that the Chinese can't make high quality stuff - quite the opposite.  But, if you don't tell them extactly what you want, you'll probably get something you don't expect.  I know this from experience, but more on the software side.

Having said all that, I am happy my new amps, Odysseys, are made in the US.

droht

« Reply #442 on: 9 Dec 2008, 05:19 am »
This is not an original idea, but worth repeating I think.  If mls hired a full time "communications assistant", if that is a thing, it would help alleviate a lot of stress.  The CA would be responsible for seeing everything that gets posted, and letting mls and key av123 staffers know of any posts that needed his personal touch and attention.  The CA would screen all other modes of communication, and again give mls the stuff that needed immediate personal answers, while passing on other inquiries to the appropriate folks.  Inquiries like "can I auction my ring off on your forum" would have to be met with a polite "no" rather than a personal response from The Man.

This set up would mean that mls loses some of his active participation in the forum.  It would also create a layer of insulation between him and his customers, the absence of which makes his company very unique.  He would have to give up the famous practice of posting all of his phone #s.  The CA would be the gate keeper. 

The benefits greatly outweigh those sacrifices, I think.  mls would gain tons of time to stay more focused on manufacturing, logistics and R&D without worrying if the forum is going to hell because he is away.  I believe ultimately that he'd gain back enough time to be able to just drop by the forum and BS with people a little.  Would the reduction in his personal involvement hurt?  Maybe.  It would be better focused on issues, but less focused on folks who seem enthralled by just being able to talk to the head of a company and feel "connected".  While that handful of folks may not like it, I think the forum and potential new customers might be better off because some of those guys do mls no favors in how they "support" him.

Like I said, this is not my idea.  I've seen more than a few folks post similar thoughts.  I'm not quite arrogant enough to think that what I believe will solve all problems at av123, but it sure seems reasonable to think that this approach would help a great deal.

CloudStrife

« Reply #443 on: 9 Dec 2008, 05:21 am »
I think Mark is somewhat crippled in business with his love for audio and attempting to bring all of his ideas into reality.  He has dreams and aspirations to create some great products, but I think he's gotten ahead of himself.  I haven't been with the forum that long, but I've gathered that AV123 is firstly a speaker company.  Mark's got great people to work with, but with all of these new ventures, he's short on something very important - time... and now money.  Mark needs to return to what put AV123 on the map and slowly dabble in the other ideas swimming in his head.  

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #444 on: 9 Dec 2008, 05:56 am »
I need the forum.  It was my go-to place for all my questions.  Audio, computers, firearms, woodworking...  I had a question about changing brake pads today, and I was forced to google it. :-(
I think you'll find all your answers here on AC ...many Circles to check out... 8)

As for brake pads....the go-to guy...Bob in St. Louis (Sports Bar). :wink:
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2008, 07:20 am by lonewolfny42 »

jmck407

« Reply #445 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:07 am »

Yes, I am and it was a fantastic deal.  First, I never wanted Minis, I wanted an Aura Note, but I can't pass up a great deal.  At the price, I felt like I was getting an Aura Note with a pair of Minis thrown in for free.  I tried to like the Minis because everyone on the forum raved about them.  Then I realized that the guys on the forum rave about EVERY speaker Mark puts out.

The Mini's  took far too much tinkering.  I want to sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the music, not constantly move speakers around and  fiddle with crossovers and level.  In my opinion, those powered subs are overkill and the bass was boomy.  I practically had those things in the middle of the room and the bass was still fat.  I like my bass with punch. 

I  guess I am just a monitor kind of guy.  I like my music ACCURATE.  The Minis were NOT for me.

The Aura Note  on the other hand is fantastic and the company, April Music, has amazing customer service.  I had an electrician blow out my breaker-box and it fried my Aura Note.   I contacted the company and they sent me a brand new one.

yeah you are right, I forgot how much tinkering it took for me to get them where I can now just sit back and enjoy music with a glass of wine, beer, or cognac, depending on the mood, and not have to mess with any of it...but I kind of like tinkering with things, so maybe it did not bother me as much.  I am not a real expert, but in my setup the minis sound very accurate, for the type of music I listen to on them...no boom in my bass.  The one thing I don't like is the very small "sweet spot", and how much different they sound when not in it.   Just a quick note, there were quite a few professional reviewers who liked the minis also, not just av123 forum people.  Anyway, glad the Aura Note worked out for you, and with the proceeds you got for selling the PB minis, sure your overall cost for it was great.

serpent

« Reply #446 on: 9 Dec 2008, 07:55 am »
I'm sorry, but I feel the forums should stay closed till there are products to fill all backorders and every person that has an e-mail owed to them has it answered. There is NO reason that someone has to make a complaint on a public forum to have it answered...It's kinda strange to me that 90 if not 100% of these complaints cannot be rectified by a phone call to CS. That they have to be posted on a public forum to be answered by the owner. There is no need for a CA. There is a need for Product.

serpent

« Reply #447 on: 9 Dec 2008, 08:25 am »
I think Mark is somewhat crippled in business with his love for audio and attempting to bring all of his ideas into reality.  He has dreams and aspirations to create some great products, but I think he's gotten ahead of himself.  I haven't been with the forum that long, but I've gathered that AV123 is firstly a speaker company.  Mark's got great people to work with, but with all of these new ventures, he's short on something very important - time... and now money.  Mark needs to return to what put AV123 on the map and slowly dabble in the other ideas swimming in his head.  

I beg to differ.
Mark has great ideas that he has brought to reality. And like any business man, mad scientist, tinkerer, or speaker manufacturer, there has to be a place for him to show off what he has in the works and what's coming next. This gives him the feedback which is necessary to gauge how successful a product will be.
On the other hand what he doesn't need is people who make up their own schedules nor frustrated CS people who can't give people the answers they want to hear.
All these other ideas swimming in his head is what he should be concentrating on, thats what grows a business. I say "should" because if the people who were surrounding him did their jobs and were not there only to collect a paycheck, He'd have all the time in the world to do what needs to be done.

mcallister

« Reply #448 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:06 am »
I  wonder if the  trip  to  Lucid the see the LS-9's is still on? I have 3 LS-9's  on  order and honestly would  probably  cancel  if I could get my money  back I bought in  gift cards a  year  ago to  put  toward the speakers. Hell I may  be  dead or  deaf by the  time they are  built :?, and  if they aren't  built than I'm out the  money I spent on the gift cards?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #449 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:20 am »
I've become an audio geek (or is it nerd?).  Stephen's excellent adventure:http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62512.new#new

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #450 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:59 am »
I'm wondering just how long Mark plans to keep his forum shut down.  He runs the risk of alienating so many potential customers and old time friends, I just don't get it.  How long do you think it will take to go through the various stages: surprise, concern, confusion, frustration, anger, and finally indifference.  

I'm starting to think this is the plan.  Mark mentioned that his  unnamed expert explained to him that the forum had morphed into a social network (which seems to be a bad thing).  I guess if you have a bunch of idle people hanging around watching your business and commenting it probably gets annoying.  Think about: 1000 back seat drivers.  I'd go stark raving mad!  So perhaps the point is to stay closed long enough for us to go elsewhere and then he will re-open the forum.  Only the mega fans will retur.,  New clients will only hear praise and see the anointed kissing Mark's feet :D (this last part is a joke :nono:).

TooManyToys

« Reply #451 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:03 pm »
I need the forum.  It was my go-to place for all my questions.  Audio, computers, firearms, woodworking...  I had a question about changing brake pads today, and I was forced to google it. :-(

I'm here for ya, if I was on-line at the time.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #452 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:35 pm »
I'm starting to think this is the plan.  Mark mentioned that his  unnamed expert explained to him that the forum had morphed into a social network (which seems to be a bad thing).  I guess if you have a bunch of idle people hanging around watching your business and commenting it probably gets annoying.  Think about: 1000 back seat drivers.  I'd go stark raving mad!  So perhaps the point is to stay closed long enough for us to go elsewhere and then he will re-open the forum.  Only the mega fans will retur.,  New clients will only hear praise and see the anointed kissing Mark's feet :D (this last part is a joke :nono:).

Funny how it only became a "social network" when things got ugly.

wshuff

« Reply #453 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:38 pm »
Maybe it's time to start an over/under on when the Forum will be back, and/or when the letter will be posted.

I'll take Under -- Christmas

2009!

CloudStrife

« Reply #454 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:24 pm »

I beg to differ.
Mark has great ideas that he has brought to reality. And like any business man, mad scientist, tinkerer, or speaker manufacturer, there has to be a place for him to show off what he has in the works and what's coming next. This gives him the feedback which is necessary to gauge how successful a product will be.
On the other hand what he doesn't need is people who make up their own schedules nor frustrated CS people who can't give people the answers they want to hear.
All these other ideas swimming in his head is what he should be concentrating on, thats what grows a business. I say "should" because if the people who were surrounding him did their jobs and were not there only to collect a paycheck, He'd have all the time in the world to do what needs to be done.

I agree, but AV123 isn't Sony.  Its resources are limited at the moment, so the tinkering, while it may lead to something worthwhile, can only go so far before it starts to take away from the core of the company.  Mark has big ideas for AV123, and I hope they all come to pass, but you can't do everything all at once. 

The CS may also be a factor, but I'm not very familiar with those issues.  I ordered a pair of speakers, and they arrived shortly after. :-)

CloudStrife

« Reply #455 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:27 pm »
There is an AV123 facebook group.  I created it. :-)  We can create discussions over there too.  Only this time I HAVE THE POWER!  lol 

Digital Ra

« Reply #456 on: 9 Dec 2008, 03:52 pm »
Now that's scary!

Digital Ra

« Reply #457 on: 9 Dec 2008, 03:56 pm »
I think MLS should resign.....come back unannounced as President and CEO of product design etc or whatever and abandon the forums.  He would hate this but it's the only way.  As long as he is around there nobody will ever follow the chain of command....they will always want and insist on the top dog and the problem snow balls every time the top dog comes in and fixes things.

IMO

lonewolf

« Reply #458 on: 9 Dec 2008, 04:13 pm »
Another problem I have with AV123 is the products being made in China and Colombia.  I never thought much about it until the US economy went into the sh*tter.  I am going to make a conscious effort to TRY to buy more American from this point on.

My next system will be Bel Canto

Then you don't only have an issue with av123. You should have a problem with 80% of the stuff you own. Why single out av123?
Yes and I did see TRY.

BigRick

• Gateway Audio Society
« Reply #459 on: 9 Dec 2008, 04:58 pm »
I was about to complain abotu AV123, but I erased it and started over.  AV123 please get your act together.