Schiit, it's the (now defunct) Bifrost DAC tour

firedog

Re: Schiit, it's the Bifrost DAC tour sign up sheet
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2011, 07:48 am »
Note the web site says shipping date is now Sept 30!

Rclark

« Reply #41 on: 26 Sep 2011, 08:54 am »
pm sent. Would love to compare with my current dac.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #42 on: 26 Sep 2011, 12:06 pm »
PM sent.

dflee

« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2011, 01:31 am »
I sent my info in and never got an acknowledgment. What gives?

Cheerwino

« Reply #44 on: 27 Sep 2011, 01:50 am »
I sent my info in and never got an acknowledgment. What gives?

Me too! Hey, what's up with this Schiit?

God, I can't stop. :lol: Schiit gets me ever time. :rotflmao:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #45 on: 29 Sep 2011, 03:49 am »
Not to worry, I've not deleted anyone's info, your PM's are all saved.  I have a spreadsheet with the info members have forwarded, but I must admit I've stopped updating it after about 35 members sent requests.  Jason at Schiit tells me they will be shipping at the end of the week, and we can expect our review unit, with USB, a week or so after that, depending on how they are with order fulfillment of course.  I've pleaded with him about our long list of members desiring to audition a unit, and he says he'll try to add a second unit, no promises.  I thanked him for his graciousness and timely communication. 

However, even if we get two units, hard choices will have to be made regarding the order of review participants.  Initially I was just going to divide it up by zip code to make shipping most efficient.  Now we will probably have to combine that with first come considerations.  I'll come up with something that I think is fair and will post it for comments, prolly over the weekend.

Note that the first reviews are likely to come from those AC'ers who pre-ordered a BiFrost for themselves.  Anyone wishing to drop out of the tour and join them by ordering there own is most welcome, either before or after the shipping order is posted, please just notify me.  And the first member to post a review gets his or her thread stickied until we're all tired of the thing.  Now I'm starting to get stoked, this is gonna be fun.   

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #46 on: 30 Sep 2011, 06:24 pm »

If it heads up to Canada I would like to try it out.

Rocket_Ronny

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #47 on: 5 Oct 2011, 08:40 pm »
Ok Guys, here's the order of the tour.  We have two flights on top, if we get two units, both will start simultaneously.  If we only get one, it'll be Flight 1 then Flight 2 because the first flight scored significantly higher overall in order of request.  The order was determined by a combination of first come and location.  tonyptony and pearsall000 are on top 'cause they live next door to me in S. Jersey, then a quick run to E. PA and DE, VT was first to respond but somewhat out of the way, then down thru NY, VA, NC, SC, back up to IN, MI, then shadowlight wanted to be last and is in Jersey to facilitate an easy return to the factory. 

For the second flight, three members in CA, AZ and HI were early responders so get to be on top, then a run thru the Southeast, up thru the Midwest, out to UT, WA, back thru the Bay Area, SoCal, then back home.  The route is more circuitous than Flight 1 because order of request played a larger role in the scoring.

The 3rd Flight are all very late responders and two haven't supplied contact info.  Naun, I'm sorry but you have only 7 posts to date.  So you guys are on the practice squad, which means you may be thrown in at any time at the option of the tour for cancellations or members who haven't supplied the required info, or you may not get to play at all, or you may be added on at the end of the tour.  This could end up being advantageous as you may leapfrog over others as needs require.  At the end is bobg.  I didn't want to be a jerk and summarily delete him, but it appears he's no longer posting on AC.

Notes:  If you have a note next to your nic, it means you need to supply additional contact info to stay on the tour list, or there is a special consideration.  I'll send a PM to all noted parties and update as needed.

Shipping:  All forwarded shipments are to be well packed and insured for $500 minimum.  This would seem to be common sense, but if you have any questions about this please PM me.  I don't care what shipping service you use, but would note that USPS offers free Priority Mail shipping boxes and is very economical and fast.  I'll PM all parties when they are next in line and where they're to ship the unit to next, so please keep me apprised of when you receive and ship the unit.

Review time:  We have a lot of members on the list so I would request a more limited time period than usual in these things.  Please limit your time to a week or less, if you have any special considerations please PM me and we'll figure out a workaround.  For example I know gstraley wants to fit his time in for a Chicago Audio Society meeting.  There's nothing saying we can't adjust the order a bit to help a member out, I'm sure everyone agrees.

Purchases:  We'll leave this open a bit here, after all the thing may just be schiit.  But if everyone is positive perhaps we'll start a group buy thread.  This would have two benefits, not only a possible volume discount, but it could also shorten the enormous time period we're looking at with this tour.  Lets see where it goes and talk later.   

Finally, let's all have a ball!

First Flight                      Notes
tonyptony   
pearsall000   
nature boy   
2wo                            Need Email
etcarroll   
Chris Adams   
rpf   
goldlizsts                    
praedet   
adydula   
dflee   
Cheerwino   
ebag3   
MaxCast   
shadowlight             Wants to be last

Second Flight   
wilsynet   
WGH   
jhm730   
srclose   
kgturner   
mcoaggie   
TurboFC3S              
krikor   
gstraley              
dburna   
TJHUB   
Nick B   
rajacat   
morganc   
kmmd   
kwl   
adhesiv                  

Third Flight   

Naun                         7 POSTS
jtwrace                
Rclark
WC

Special   
bobg                        3 POSTS

« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2011, 03:05 pm by Letitroll98 »

tonyptony

« Reply #48 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:14 am »
Hmm, will you be going first before me? I ask only because I was first for the Black Cat Veloce tour. While some may disagree with burn in being needed on a cable (digital at that!), I used up some extra time doing so just in case others in the line were concerned about that. I'll be honest and say I'd rather get a burned in unit. Phil, do you want to take it first and cook it a bit? I don't want to be they guy that holds on to it for burn in this time.

But if I am first, would the tour team allow the extra time needed for burn in? I want to feel as though I'm reviewing the product after it's had a chance to come into its own.

jhm731

« Reply #49 on: 6 Oct 2011, 02:55 am »
Letitroll98,

Thanks for all your efforts in setting up the tour.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #50 on: 6 Oct 2011, 04:21 am »
Tony it will be shipped here first, already thought about the break in issue and I can run it 24/7 here.  Besides, it's the perfect excuse to hear it first, a service to the members, yeah, that's the ticket, all with you guy's well being in the forefront of my mind.

Seriously though, I figure a couple days burn in should give it a good start, I don't want to delay the tour very much.  Then I can meet either you or Phil somewhere to drop it off.  We're all within a couple minutes of each other so it doesn't matter for the order of who's first between you.  This is all hoping we actually get a unit or two in October, schiit there's been a lot of delays. 

tonyptony

« Reply #51 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:56 am »
Well then, if you're going to give it a good cooking and a listen I'll (cough cough) maybe suffer through being the first one on the list (cough).  :green: :green: :green:

Just to confirm, as I understand it this version of the DAC does not have balanced out? If so I'll have to get some single ended cables ready.

dflee

« Reply #52 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:17 pm »
Letitroll98
Looking forward to hearing the dac and appreciate your time on this project.

Later
Don

adhesiv

« Reply #53 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:29 pm »
super excited for this tour as well...been putting off my DAC purchase for this tour alone...none of the other "giant killers" have raised enough attention for me to bite yet (Burson DA160, Metrum Octave, etc.)...let's hope the BiFrost changes that =)

Letitroll,
i just PM'd you my email and phone #...you can probably disregard that part about me being out of town for almost the whole month of October...i think i'm far enough down on the list it should be fine but if there's any question feel free to shuffle me around.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #54 on: 6 Oct 2011, 11:36 pm »
If this DAC sounds like Schiit a lot of folks, including myself, will be seriously bummed!!!!!! :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #55 on: 7 Oct 2011, 03:51 am »
If this DAC sounds like Schiit a lot of folks, including myself, will be seriously bummed!!!!!! :thumb:

Especially since you already paid for it and we get to audition for free.   8)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #56 on: 7 Oct 2011, 09:41 am »
Nice!!!  LoL.....I'm sure I'll be a happy camper..well 95% sure..LOL.....tick, tock, tick, tock......

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #57 on: 8 Oct 2011, 12:14 am »
Okay, since I got my present DAC (24/96k 10 y/o chip) for $120 and absolutely love it, it was compared very favorable against the Dacmagic and Benchmark, the BiFrost only has to be 3 times as good to make it a bargain.  Or to put it another way, a perceived added value of $230, i.e. sounds good enough that I would spend another $230 for it.  (The USB is inconsequential as the extra $100 is for a feature not offered on my present DAC, even if I do decide to dive into Hi Rez later)  So you could use a similar formula.  Even if your present DAC is more expensive, would the BiFrost sound good enough to replace it for a lower cost.  Although I must say few want to go downmarket, most of us here are looking at this as an economical upgrade.  Anyway, I hope you get my drift, although subject, you can stick your experience template over it to measure.  Then again, if it blows away a DiVinci all bets are off.   

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #58 on: 8 Oct 2011, 01:48 am »
Not sure if I had missed reading it, how much time does each person have? Total 2 weeks? :|

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #59 on: 8 Oct 2011, 05:40 pm »
Not sure if I had missed reading it, how much time does each person have? Total 2 weeks? :|

Yes, you did miss it:

Review time:  We have a lot of members on the list so I would request a more limited time period than usual in these things.  Please limit your time to a week or less, if you have any special considerations please PM me and we'll figure out a workaround.  For example I know gstraley wants to fit his time in for a Chicago Audio Society meeting.  There's nothing saying we can't adjust the order a bit to help a member out, I'm sure everyone agrees.