NC400 Cooling

undertow

Re: NC400 Cooling
« Reply #80 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:45 pm »
This is either in my Thread or another one, but yes one of my Power supplies failed within a few weeks.

They ran super hot. It was replaced, and I used the CPU fin coolers across the plates and worked perfectly.

My opinion performance in sound was also better with the heat under control. I also used oversized chassis, not by much, but a little oversized and well vented on the bottom and top.

Not saying this failure was completely due to heat, but it can't hurt!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: 30 Jan 2013, 04:51 pm »

Rclark

« Reply #82 on: 31 Jan 2013, 06:06 am »
I think it might be how you build them too. JT built mine, and says the chassis is your heat sink. I have run mine night and day for long, long hours, I never shut them off, and they are never more than slightly warm to the touch (the cases). Clearly these were put together properly, I never worry about heat, and they are sealed.

(JT, btw I think I'm going to attempt to finish them second or third week of Feb, in that style I mentioned.)

yetis

« Reply #83 on: 27 May 2013, 10:05 pm »
Before reading Bruno's comments, I didn't know what to make of the heat.  I can tell you that I did NOT plan for the level of heat when selecting a case.  Few of the cases available have any real cooling functions that are common on class A amps, etc.  I find it interesting that other Class D amps don't seem to generate the same level of heat, so I wonder if that has something to do with its increased performance?  Logic works in the class A/A-B/B amp performance.  I guess the Halcro amps generate a fair amount of heat, but use cases to handle the heat they generate?

An update. So I have three amps and three power supplies in an aluminum case that is well ventilated, passively cooled case. Recently, after being left on for a couple days, the center channel has started clipping and you can hear the power supply turning on and off. I think three in one case is just too much. Will be replacing top of case with even more ventilation and adding cooling fins internally, wherever I can! Weird that only the center one clips, as it's the newer of the three, version 6 vs version 1.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: 27 May 2013, 10:08 pm »
An update. So I have three amps and three power supplies in an aluminum case that is well ventilated, passively cooled case. Recently, after being left on for a couple days, the center channel has started clipping and you can hear the power supply turning on and off. I think three in one case is just too much. Will be replacing top of case with even more ventilation and adding cooling fins internally, wherever I can! Weird that only the center one clips, as it's the newer of the three, version 6 vs version 1.
Are you sure it's temperature related?  Once cooled down it's fine?

Don_S

« Reply #85 on: 27 May 2013, 11:21 pm »
Do you have access to a multimeter with a temperature probe?  Maybe the one in the middle is running hotter because it gets less ventilation.  And maybe it is not temperature related at all.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #86 on: 28 May 2013, 06:46 am »
Do you have access to a multimeter with a temperature probe?  Maybe the one in the middle is running hotter because it gets less ventilation.  And maybe it is not temperature related at all.

I agree - measuring the temp should be the first step. My favourite tool for that is a non-contact IR radiation thermometer, but I also have a 1-wire temperature probe that I can easily insert in boxes - in fact, these days I tend to put a 3.5 mm jack in the back of each box, with a cheap 1-wire sensor wired to it inside the box - makes it really easy to find out the interior temperature if I need to.

yetis

« Reply #87 on: 28 May 2013, 01:29 pm »
Have purchased IR thermometer and will get back with the results.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: 2 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm »
Just be careful with them.  I try to stay away from them actually; I find them very unrepeatable.  I personally like contact surface thermocouples.  If your DMM has a port with that option that is much preferred. 

persisting1

« Reply #89 on: 3 Jun 2013, 09:10 pm »
Just be careful with them.  I try to stay away from them actually; I find them very unrepeatable.  I personally like contact surface thermocouples.  If your DMM has a port with that option that is much preferred.

+1