Which Subs

AvsFan

Re: Which Subs
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2020, 07:30 pm »
Many people and manufacturers suggest one thing , one placement or another.. due to the testing environment they use at there place of business.
But, the problem with that, is that every home environment is different..  humidity,  room dimensions,  furniture,  open/closed windows,  tight/leaky rooms, even the barometric pressure.  etc, etc..
The tester, or manufacturer has no idea, really.. but, he's got to suggest something that makes since and convinces the buyer he has done his research and is legitimate.. 

Which he is, in only one way.. and that is in his own shop/ manufacturing facility.. :D

All this is so VERY true! I was so frustrated with the sub in this room, I took it downstairs and hooked it up to my living room system and Marantz AVR, it sounds GREAT down there! Not boomy or sloppy at all. Well controlled and blended well with my Canton 702's.

Maybe this room just doesn't like subs. I did pull the sub out and placed it between the Maggie's,sounded a lot better but I don't want a sub out in the middle of my room. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2020, 08:15 pm »
All this is so VERY true! I was so frustrated with the sub in this room, I took it downstairs and hooked it up to my living room system and Marantz AVR, it sounds GREAT down there! Not boomy or sloppy at all. Well controlled and blended well with my Canton 702's.

Maybe this room just doesn't like subs. I did pull the sub out and placed it between the Maggie's,sounded a lot better but I don't want a sub out in the middle of my room. 

That's why I like OB subs - much easier to use in difficult rooms.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2020, 08:40 pm »
  OB sub then call it a day. Although if can use the Swarm system a tough call. Can we Swarm OB  :thumb:

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2020, 08:43 pm »
  OB sub then call it a day. Although if can use the Swarm system a tough call. Can we Swarm OB  :thumb:

charles

Definitely do not want to do an OB swarm.  Swarms work by exciting as many room modes as possible, while OB subs excite as few as possible.  Both can produce great bass but they go about it in totally different ways.

WGH

« Reply #64 on: 14 May 2020, 11:44 pm »
So for two days I have been trying to get these little dual 8 subs to blend with the Magnepan LRS's. I finally gave up. It took all the musicality of the Maggie's away. It just smeared the sound and never sounded right. Made me realize that I really like the way the Maggie's sound all by themselves. I might try it again later but for now it's the Maggie's sans sub.

Yea, that Stereophile graph could be deceiving, adjusting the speaker location would level out the peak but the roll off above and below 50Hz would still be very steep. Any additional bass above 50Hz would be added to the LRS's and definitely change the character of the sound.

I didn't find any specifications for the Omega DeepHemp 8 regarding crossover frequency or slope, as a comparison the RSL Speedwoofer's crossover frequency is 40-200 Hz with a 12dB slope. Neither of these subs would be appropriate for my speakers, the overlap at 40Hz would be too high resulting in a muddy boomy sound, my sub is set to 32 Hz.

The audio tests at Audiocheck will give you an idea how low and high your subs play. Turn off the LRS's and listen what is coming out of the Omega's.
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

terryakhan

« Reply #65 on: 19 May 2020, 04:14 pm »
I use a pair of JL Audio Fathoms at the bottom of my planars, they play really well and most importantly I use a crossover set at 50 hz 6db slope not allowing anything below 50hz to be played thru the planars. Also so tried 80hz as recommended by JL Audio, but preferred the 50 hz setting, since my planars do well to about 50hz.

MontyMo

« Reply #66 on: 6 Dec 2020, 12:09 am »
Has anyone heard of LDW (Little Dipole Woofer Model 1). They look very intresting.
I have LRS speakers and I’ve been thinking of pairing them with a sub. THe LDWs are made with the LRS in mind.
I am also considering two REL 5i.

I am very concerned. I don’t want to mess up that beautiful Maggie sound. I have tried a Klipsch SUB 10. It was boomy. Just awful.

I sure would love another octave lower!

Monty

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172622.0

Emil

« Reply #67 on: 11 Dec 2020, 09:37 pm »
anyone using an active crossover to filter out low frequencies to your Maggies?

This looks like it will work well but does it degrade the signal going to the maggies?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

BobM

« Reply #68 on: 12 Dec 2020, 01:42 pm »
I do that with my Apogees Emil. It sits between the preamp and the amp and allows me to filter what goes to the amp. I have mine cutting out at 50Hz. Then I run an interconnect from it to my subs (dual stereo) and it has oodles of settings for relative volume, cut-in frequencies, infinite phase and even one for proximity to the wall. Grant also uses to use one but I don't think he does anymore with his fully restored Apogees. Perhaps he would let you borrow his to try out. Its' surprisingly transparent too, which is what you really want.

It's the X2 crossover made by NHT. Every so often one comes up for sale somewhere.

https://www.nhthifi.com/products/11198-x2-electronic-crossover?category_id=1964922-vintage

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #69 on: 23 Jan 2021, 03:01 am »
Has anyone heard of LDW (Little Dipole Woofer Model 1). They look very intresting.
I have LRS speakers and I’ve been thinking of pairing them with a sub. THe LDWs are made with the LRS in mind.
I am also considering two REL 5i.

I am very concerned. I don’t want to mess up that beautiful Maggie sound. I have tried a Klipsch SUB 10. It was boomy. Just awful.

I sure would love another octave lower!

Monty

Hi, Monty.  Carlo Lo Rosa of The Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity webzine is reviewing the LDW Model 1 with the LRS and Magna Risers Airborne stands this month.  Look for his review in the coming months.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172622.0