"Tempesta Xtreme"

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: "Tempesta Xtreme"
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2011, 05:58 am »
Our next new design to ship will be a Tempesta Extreme for a California customer.  :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2011, 03:54 pm »
Rick, is there any advantage by going with a bigger accuton (5") to do the midrange duties and leave the SS for bass duties. I believe the 2in. accuton on the tempesta doesnt really go low so some of the midrange is produced by the SS. What i thinking is, use the smaller version of the curved cabinets (7.5 in width) for the highs and 5in mid, stacked on top of the regular tempesta cabinet which will house the the woofer only. Could there be any advantage witht the slimmer profile for the highs and mid section as compare to the Tempesta?

Thanks

jonbee

« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:19 pm »
I have the Tempesta with the 2" Accuton, and I'll give you my take on this. I think Rick made the right choice on this design. The Illuminator has excellent lower midrange definition, linearity and speed. I'm not sure that the 5" Accuton can best this woofer in the 500-900hz. range, which is all you gain by going to the 5". The handoff from the Illuminator to the Accuton is inaudible; that tells the story. What the 2" Accuton offers is superior upper midrange and lower treble speed and accuracy (ringing on the 2" is far beyond the crossover point, at an amazing 19khz., vs. ~4-5khz for the 5"!) . That allows it to seemlessly blend with the very fast RAAL. The human ear is most sensitive to this range, and the Tempesta with the 2" totally nails it. I'd hate to lose that as part of the tradeoff.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2012, 12:08 am by jonbee »

rbfletch

« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2011, 04:28 pm »
I would love to hear the Tempesta Extreme!  I live in Wine Country and would happy to supply some of our finest to celebrate the occasion.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #24 on: 30 Dec 2011, 04:40 am »
Rick, is there any advantage by going with a bigger accuton (5") to do the midrange duties and leave the SS for bass duties. I believe the 2in. accuton on the tempesta doesnt really go low so some of the midrange is produced by the SS. What i thinking is, use the smaller version of the curved cabinets (7.5 in width) for the highs and 5in mid, stacked on top of the regular tempesta cabinet which will house the the woofer only. Could there be any advantage witht the slimmer profile for the highs and mid section as compare to the Tempesta?

Thanks

Yes it could be done but as Jon pointed out little if anything to be gained and the combination as is leaves nothing else to be desired.

jonbee

« Reply #25 on: 31 Dec 2011, 05:23 am »
I think I would consider the 5" Accuton mid if the woofer was larger, bringing problems into the midrange, such as a 10 or 12", like Salk uses. The 7 inch Illuminator has a great lower midrange, so by taking advantage of it the problems with taming ragged upper range response due to ringing at the top of the midrange passband, which is a very common and thorny problem with mids like the 5" Accuton, simply doesn't exist with the 2" Accuton. The polar response at the top end of the 2" driver is also wider and a better match for the RAAL. All of this is borne out by hearing the Tempestas.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2012, 12:09 am by jonbee »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 31 Dec 2011, 07:12 pm »
I would love to hear the Tempesta Extreme!  I live in Wine Country and would happy to supply some of our finest to celebrate the occasion.

I'll let you know when they ship.  :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #27 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm »

Hello Jonbee, happy New Year and thank for posting back.
I have no doubt that the drivers in the tempesta works in harmony and it is best for the tempesta application. Different drivers for different appplications thats why Jim salk uses. But it was not my intention to have this, similar to Jim desing. First, my idea is two use two cabinets, one for the high and mid, and one for the bass. The accuton 5 in. extend high enough to work with the Raal 70-10. Jim uses 70-20. Im sure the SS have great upper ends to work with the 2 in. accuton, but you do realize that the cone material are different, so the end result would probably sound different. In addition, i thought that by using a slimmer cabinet for the highs and midl helps with diffraction, thats why i came up with the two cabinet idea that Rick also uses in his desings. The 2in. accuton works better with the tempesta becuase it does not require additional comparment for the MID. With the the 5 in., it will then need to work with a compartment fo the mid and im not sure if those PE cabinet have enough volume to leave for the SS woofer to be preperty tunbed.

ricardojoa

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:49 pm »
By the way Rick, there is no ino about the MA1 and tre supremo, Will you add those infor laterr on your site?
Thanks

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #29 on: 1 Jan 2012, 09:13 pm »
By the way Rick, there is no ino about the MA1 and tre supremo, Will you add those infor laterr on your site?
Thanks

Yes - in the process of adding quite a few things.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2012, 03:25 pm »
Shipping out today to California... :thumb:

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2012, 04:33 pm by Rick Craig »

pslate

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2012, 04:35 pm »
 Beautiful! The veneer matching from upper to lower cab is very nice. Kudos Rick.

ricardojoa

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:34 pm »
Those look incredible :o!!
Rick,
do they come with grill and what is the additional cost for the bottom section?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #33 on: 31 Jan 2012, 06:45 pm »
Those look incredible :o!!
Rick,
do they come with grill and what is the additional cost for the bottom section?

Grills are standard on all of our speakers (this pair has magnetics under the surface). This is a totally new design - not just a matter of adding a bottom section. As pictured the cost is $6,000/pr. including shipping to the mainland USA.

jonbee

« Reply #34 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:10 pm »
Another knockout, Rick. I hope the owner is pleased. That Pau Ferro veneer really looks great with the black drivers. On my pair it actually adds to the illusion of sonically invisible speakers.

rbfletch

« Reply #35 on: 1 Feb 2012, 08:45 am »
What would the cost be for a black pair?

obiwan11

« Reply #36 on: 1 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm »
Is that still 3 way or 3.5 way?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #37 on: 1 Feb 2012, 01:12 pm »
Another knockout, Rick. I hope the owner is pleased. That Pau Ferro veneer really looks great with the black drivers. On my pair it actually adds to the illusion of sonically invisible speakers.

Actually this pair and another pair of the Tempestas (being built now) were requested in Pau Ferro after they saw your pair.  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #38 on: 1 Feb 2012, 07:29 pm »
What would the cost be for a black pair?

$4,300/pr. w/shipping to the mainland USA.

vettett15

« Reply #39 on: 3 Feb 2012, 01:42 am »
Nice job rick.  Would this be offered in kit form,if so how much?