5"-6.5" midrange to match with RAAL in 3 way

mykyll2727

Re: 5"-6.5" midrange to match with RAAL in 3 way
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2012, 06:45 am »
Nope, you haven't confused me at all. I have a friend who has a pair of Dunlavy SC-IVAs and there is a lot of things I really love about their sound. I had the idea for a 3 piece modular version of them with the woofers in separate cabs (ala the Evolution Acoustics MM3s http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmthree/ ) and using the PP woofers since I have them. I'm thinking now that what I may be best off doing is just going with a Verita or Cima and either a Fondazione or a passive version. But I will certainly contact Rick and get his opinions.

navin

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2012, 09:31 am »
Nope, you haven't confused me at all. I have a friend who has a pair of Dunlavy SC-IVAs and there is a lot of things I really love about their sound. I had the idea for a 3 piece modular version of them with the woofers in separate cabs (ala the Evolution Acoustics MM3s http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mmthree/ ) and using the PP woofers since I have them. I'm thinking now that what I may be best off doing is just going with a Verita or Cima and either a Fondazione or a passive version. But I will certainly contact Rick and get his opinions.

When you heard the Dunlavys were you happy with the sweet spot? I ask because many MTMs I have heard tend to have tighter but narrower sweet spots than WMTs. If you intend using the 8" you have and adding a sub you will most likely end up with a 4 way (sub+3 way). Not a bad thing but such a speaker can get big and imposing and WAF might need consideration.

As I have gotten older I have realised that my need for SPL has reduced. Over the past 20 years I have reduced from using a ported 10 cu.ft. with an 18" (JBL 2245) per channel, to a pair of 6 cu.ft. boxes each using 2 Audio Concepts DV12 to a single 12" TC Sounds woofer in a 2 cu. ft. box doing bass for both channels.

mykyll2727

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:25 pm »
When you heard the Dunlavys were you happy with the sweet spot? I ask because many MTMs I have heard tend to have tighter but narrower sweet spots than WMTs. If you intend using the 8" you have and adding a sub you will most likely end up with a 4 way (sub+3 way). Not a bad thing but such a speaker can get big and imposing and WAF might need consideration.

As I have gotten older I have realised that my need for SPL has reduced. Over the past 20 years I have reduced from using a ported 10 cu.ft. with an 18" (JBL 2245) per channel, to a pair of 6 cu.ft. boxes each using 2 Audio Concepts DV12 to a single 12" TC Sounds woofer in a 2 cu. ft. box doing bass for both channels.

My experience with the Dunlavy's was exactly as you described! A very small sweet spot. For me it's not an issue as I do all of my critical music listening from a specific spot. Ironically the speakers I have now, a midsize tower in a wwmt design, has a very narrow sweetspot as well. Perhaps what I loved most about the Duns (aside from their specificity, which I think may be helped by all of the felt.) is how smooth and impactful the bass is. It's my only real experience with a speaker with top and bottom woofers but they are very tall. A lot of the reason for the modular design is to reduce the weight. By that I mean each of the individual cabs would weigh less than a single cabinet. At my age and with arthritis this would really make things easier on me. My initial plan was either a wmtmw or a wmtw design with separate subs. But I'm thinking I may go for something more "traditional". Dual woofers in a separate lower module and the mid/mids tweet in an upper cab.

navin

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2012, 05:32 pm »
Dual woofers in a separate lower module and the mid/mids tweet in an upper cab.

If you are going 3 way (or 2way + sub) then you would have to trade midrange clarity for bass extension and SPL.

mykyll2727

« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2012, 08:04 pm »
If you are going 3 way (or 2way + sub) then you would have to trade midrange clarity for bass extension and SPL.

I was planning to go 3way with the modular speakers and have separate powered subs for LF extension and SPLs.

navin

« Reply #25 on: 18 Nov 2012, 04:55 am »
I was planning to go 3way with the modular speakers and have separate powered subs for LF extension and SPLs.

If you are going to have subs for the last octave or so then you should let the main speaker be more resolving ( in my view). The SEAS Excel drivers are good at this the Peridot Excel might be configured into a 2 or 3 box system. The other option is the Tempesta set. If you need a bit more sensitivity the Extreme. Which is a 2 box system.

In my systems the Peridot Excel is supported by a TC Sounds 15" in the front and a smaller SEAS L26ROY in the rear.  The room is 12 x 30.  My Tempesta Extreme will be supported by a TC sounds. 12" in a 15x17 room.

mykyll2727

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:20 am »
If you are going to have subs for the last octave or so then you should let the main speaker be more resolving ( in my view). The SEAS Excel drivers are good at this the Peridot Excel might be configured into a 2 or 3 box system. The other option is the Tempesta set. If you need a bit more sensitivity the Extreme. Which is a 2 box system.

In my systems the Peridot Excel is supported by a TC Sounds 15" in the front and a smaller SEAS L26ROY in the rear.  The room is 12 x 30.  My Tempesta Extreme will be supported by a TC sounds. 12" in a 15x17 room.

As you know I've been following your Tempesta build and I'm giving serious consideration to the Tempesta Extreme in a modular design. I'll be looking forward to your assessments when you have it completed.

navin

« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2012, 11:35 am »

As you know I've been following your Tempesta build and I'm giving serious consideration to the Tempesta Extreme in a modular design. I'll be looking forward to your assessments when you have it completed.

You might have to wait 2 weeks or so. The Arcam dealer informed me (after taking the money) that he has no AVR 400 in stock and I have to wait till the 1st week of December. Even the Onkyo NR1010 (being used with the Peridot Excel) will only be available next week (I have paid the Onkyo dealer too). Meanwhile I have started working on the 15" and 12" subwoofer cabinets.

mykyll2727

« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2012, 06:57 pm »
You might have to wait 2 weeks or so. The Arcam dealer informed me (after taking the money) that he has no AVR 400 in stock and I have to wait till the 1st week of December. Even the Onkyo NR1010 (being used with the Peridot Excel) will only be available next week (I have paid the Onkyo dealer too). Meanwhile I have started working on the 15" and 12" subwoofer cabinets.

I'm looking forward to pics!!

navin

« Reply #29 on: 24 Nov 2012, 05:05 am »

navin

« Reply #30 on: 27 Nov 2012, 08:22 am »
That Skaaning started it at AT and went on to start Dyna and SS and has still stuck at AT..

mykyll,

I came acrosss this old post and then I remembered your post.

http://www.modifikasi.com/showthread.php?3865-new-kind-of-sub-udah-masuk-ke-indo

Milestones in Tymphany History
 1926 Peerless founded in Denmark
1933 Vifa founded in Denmark
1970 ScanSpeak founded in Denmark
1973 ScanSpeak Symmetric Drive (SD) patented
1987 Vifa receives the SAS Export Award
1992 ScanSpeak next generation Symmetric Drive (SD-1) patented

navin

mykyll2727

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm »
Navin,

Thanks for the links! GREAT JOB!!! I love it!