Introduction to D-Sonic class D Amplifiers

dsonic

• Industry Participant
Introduction to D-Sonic class D Amplifiers
« on: 26 Jan 2017, 08:29 pm »
Hello All,

I propose to start an Audio Circle to showcase my amplifier line and will start by introducing myself and my company.

D-Sonic Custom Audio was started in 2006 when Bascom King loaned me two small 200ASC ICEpower modules in a DIY chassis set weighing 1 lb each. I had them for six weeks. They replaced a pair of well respected 200w monos that weighed 65 lbs each. I was very impressed with their performance, especially since my intuition about this swap was not very optimistic. Eventually I had to put the big boys back in. At first  listen, I thought something was hooked up wrong but everything checked out. It dawned on me that the little ICEpowers were better amplifiers in every way, especially bass depth and control, the opposite of my expectations. I started D-Sonic the next day and had product for sale six weeks later.

I have been using Pascal technology for the last four years. I am always testing new technologies and currently give high marks to Hypex and Anaview class D technologies also. I build 1-7 channels from 400-1500w/8 ohms. There is not enough of a price reduction to the customer to warrant building lower power models at this time. I believe Pascal combines the best sonics of tubed and solid state amplification.

You can check out my product line at www.d-sonic.net. Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Regards,

Dennis

srb

Re: Introduction to D-Sonic class D Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2017, 08:38 pm »
Dennis,

This actually belongs in the Industry Introductions circle in the Commercial Zone.  Allowing time for a Facilitator to see this, they will move it to that circle.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2017, 09:54 pm »
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to AC.  I have looked at your amps on a number of occasions.  My speaker preferences tend to run towards brands from ATC (SCM-19) or Dynaudio (Focus 360).
Speakers such as those need lots of clean power, which your amps provide. 

Could you explain what your Class D amps do different than other offerings from such companies as Primare, NAD, Classe, Digital Amplifier Company, etc.?  I never liked the legacy ICE amps, but the most recent offerings from the above companies have improved performance to the point that it's hard to distinguish the difference between them and Class AB. 

Looking forward to this circle.  Best of luck going forward.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2017, 12:24 am »
Welcome - looking forward to it

dsonic

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2017, 03:48 am »
Freo-1

I chose Pascal after reviewing six other class D  technologies . Hypex came very close but did not have the natural, open warmth from the upper midrange thru treble range.

I have not heard all of the amplifiers you referred to but will say that customers do comment on the live, open dynamics of our models.

D

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2017, 05:14 am »
I think perhaps Freo-1 was asking what makes your implementation of these Pascal modules different from other companies? Class-D modules are somewhat turnkey products, so what makes you stand out above the other guys?

dsonic

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2017, 08:18 am »
Armaegis,

OK, understood. Some critical items:

1) Pascal requires a separate input buffer design, not supplied internally as with ICEpower, Anaview and some others so I would say this is a critical sonic factor. Close tolerance components are important.
2) Leave what is good alone. An advantage of class D is light weight and low heat due to 90% efficiency. Adding huge power supplies and storage capacitors is generally unnecessary and can degrade performance.
3) Maintain the low noise floor. With a -120dB dynamic range, EMI/RFI protection is important. We offer balanced XLR and single ended RCA. I always recommend balanced operation whenever possible.
4) High quality mechanical components such as switches, connectors and mounting feet. Also use of stainless steel hardware, anodized aluminum, and powder coating ensures a corrosion free future.
5) Good grounding, especially for the low level input circuits. Ground paths here should be carefully controlled. A generally clean wiring layout with shielded harnesses, inputs and outputs.

Some of this sounds simple. The important point is to do it all.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2017, 02:46 pm »
Some of this sounds simple. The important point is to do it all.
I'll add that proper execution is key.   :wink:

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2017, 04:01 pm »
Welcome Dsonic.

I have been interested in your amps as well. I have always liked a warmer sound like Classe and reading reviews it seems the Dsonics have that over the other class D amps there are compared to.

I will have to look up your site and see what you currently have.

Question; have you changed anything in the amplifiers over the years as some of the reviews are older?

dsonic

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2017, 07:46 pm »
Zapper,

The most relevant reviews are 6 Moons and Enjoy the Music. The only change since then is improved grounding paths in the input buffer circuit.

D

srb

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2017, 08:04 pm »
On the website Gallery page, 2 Channel Rear and 2 Channel Iso appear to be broken links.

Do you have any photos of the internals?

Steve

jaylevine

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2017, 08:12 pm »
Hi Dennis,

I wanted to jump in a say thank you for your great product and customer support.

I was a long time Bryston gear owner (4B SST2, BP-26, both great products), but downsized two years ago. One thing led to another and I ended up wanting to redo a dedicated listening area and needed to purchase a new amp to go along with my Legacy Studio HD monitors.

My space is very small, so I figured it was time to try a class-d platform (low heat, small form factor, cost to power ratio).

Read through every review I could find and ended up purchasing your M3-800S; have not been disappointed, in fact hugely impressed with the sound and build quality.

I run --> MacMini/Audirvana -->  Bryston BDA-1 DAC --> Luminous Audio Axiom Walker passive pre-amp --> M3 using the balanced input path from the DAC to the M3-800s with great results.

Thanks -- Jay

smargo

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2017, 08:20 pm »

You can check out my product line at www.d-sonic.net. Feel free to call or email with any questions.

Regards,

Dennis

So are there any integrateds?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm »
I chose Pascal after reviewing six other class D  technologies . Hypex came very close but did not have the natural, open warmth from the upper midrange thru treble range.

I would actually be intensely curious to know what was your criteria/thought process in narrowing down which tech to use. Who were the other contenders?

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2017, 11:42 pm »
I would actually be intensely curious to know what was your criteria/thought process in narrowing down which tech to use. Who were the other contenders?

I'm interested as well.  Would like to know what differences there are between Pascal and the Ultra Fast Power Device (UFPD) employed by Primare, for example.  What drove the choices made.

dsonic

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2017, 12:40 am »
Did a quick website repair for the 2 channel views and added the monoblocks. Also replaced the 4-7 channel photos with our newer, low profile chassis. I will add some internal views in the next week. Microsoft Edge still offsets the 2 channel photos but they look good in Chrome.

I do not have an integrated or dedicated preamp at this time. I do have some ideas that I am working on for a modular 2-7 channel preamp with bass control, room correction and DAC/streaming capabilities.

Pascal choice criteria was based on what I and others considered the most neutral and natural sounding technology. My initial thread mentioned Hypex, Anaview and ICEpower as some of the technologies considered.

I do not know enough about the Primare UFPD to make a comparison at this time.

Jay Levine, thanks for the kind words.

srb

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2017, 01:26 am »
I manage a few websites and I have to view all edits through Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari.  All slightly different.  It's possible to query for each browser and load a different style sheet for each, but hardly worth the amount of work, particularly if you're already spending time creating Responsive Design style sheets formatted for phones and/or tablets.

AFAIK, UFPD is Primare's proprietary creation and I don't believe they license the technology.

Steve