Asian Tsunami Auction

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« on: 3 Jan 2005, 01:07 pm »
After Sept. 11, 2001, Audiogon put together an auction where individuals, dealers, and manufacturers could donate AV gear with all proceeds going directly to those in need.

I don't know if Audiogon is planning something similar for the tragedy in Asia, but someone in the AV community needs to do this. We could raise $$$ and those dollars are badly needed. Hours ago I just returned from being away for five days and I leave for Vegas in two days, so I simply can't do it. I CAN pledge a pair of brand new Sapphires and maybe more if someone will take the lead or knows of an auction already set up for this purpose. As I said, Audiogon is probably perfect for this. Anyone with info or ideas?

Forgive the multi-posting. I just want to be sure this message gets heard by the right person/people. Thanks!

Mikeyb

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2005, 11:30 pm »
Great idea Mike!

I have used audiogon before, but I have never done an auction.  It doesn't look complicated though.  As for getting the proceeds to an organization that can help (red cross or ?), I don't know how that can be setup or automated.

I am willing to help do an auction, but it would be less than perfect.  I could set the auction up for ACI using my account.  At the end of the auction, payment could be made to ACI or me if that better works for accounting reasons.  ACI would ship the product(s), and either collect the proceeds directly or from me.  Of course if I collect and then send money either to ACI or directly to the charity, there is a trust issue.

Alternatively, maybe ACI could just advertise the product(s) on the specials page as an auctio to help in the disaster relief efforts.  ACI Sales would then take private emails and/or phone calls with the individual bids.  Highest bidder get the specials.

Let me know if this is at all what you had in mind.

Mike

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:26 am »
Mike:

You have many great ideas. They, and your williness to help are greatly appreciated.

Right now, between regular business, CES, etc. we just have zero manpower to organize or facilitate anything of this sort. The beauty of the post 9/11/01 auction on Audiogon was that it was:

1) Easy to donate, just put up what you want to auction. Perfect for companies and individuals who want to donate but lack time or expertise to organize their own event
2) LOTS of bidders,
3) Raised lots of money in a short time . . .money went right to the charities, not to administering the charities

I'm really hoping Audiogon will do it again IF you could invest a little time in contacting the folks at Audiogon to see if they'd be willing to do this, that would be FANTASTIC  :D   For starters, we'd certainly put up a pair of Sapphires. Maybe even more to help get the ball rolling . . .  I know there are many generous folks in this business. Right now, with peak season and CES it is just difficult to find any time, but I'm sure the products to donate would be made available.

Mikeyb

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2005, 09:00 pm »
Mike, I now see you were aiming a little higher!

I got the following reply from support@audiogon.com:

Hello,

Well, it's CES time and our manpower is stretched thin.  It's possible that CES auctions may tie into Relief auctions; we're not sure if this is a possibility.  Regardless, after CES, contacts will be made to arrange for Tsunami Relief auctions.

Audiogon Support

Hopefully after CES things may start rolling.  I hope so, and with other generous and like-minded folks such as you Mike, this could really help!

Eric

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2005, 09:07 pm »
I know I won the Jags during the 9/11 auction. It is a great way to get into the ACI sound and also help people

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2005, 02:23 pm »
Quote from: Mikeyb
Mike, I now see you were aiming a little higher!

I got the following reply from support@audiogon.com:

Hello,

Well, it's CES time and our manpower is stretched thin.  It's possible that CES auctions may tie into Relief auctions; we're not sure if this is a possibility.  Regardless, after CES, contacts will be made to arrange for Tsunami Relief auctions.

Audiogon Support

Thanks Mikey!

Bill Leebens is coordinating the setup of an Audiogon auction. We should have the Sapphire 25th Anniversary Edition listed there tonight or tomorrow. A very worthy cause!

Mikeyb

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2005, 05:31 pm »
Great!  I'm glad they came through.  Hopefully others will follow your lead Mike!

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2005, 02:17 pm »
The Audiogon Tsunami Auction is up. Here's the link to the brand new Sapphire 25th Anniversary that we donated. Someone is going to get a good deal and save lives. Please be generous. Thanks!

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrmoni&1106704847

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2005, 01:50 am »
Wow, I must admit to being a bit baffled. Right now somebody can grab a brand new pair of Sapphires for less than our build cost?!!

The whole idea was to raise some money for people who really need it. AND that someone might get a good taste of ACI for a really bargain price. Well, with one day left in the auction, it's a lot more than a bargain.

Come on people, a brand new pair of Sapphires  . . . .  Heck, one of my customers told me he just sold his used pair of these for about 75% more! Still a good value . . .

BradJudy

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2005, 03:25 am »
I'm surprised too Mike.  I'm currently the high bidder and don't get it.  I've never done AudioGon auctions before - do they go like eBay ones where almost no one bids until the last minute?  Heck, there's a used pair on AG right now listed for a good amount more (although also a great deal).  I just realized that I forgot to go back and up my bid for thingamaknobs and lost that one by a hair.  I'll keep and eye on the Sapphires during the day tomorrow.

Marbles

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2005, 03:36 am »
Many people are conditioned to wait until just before an auction ends to bid.

Agon is a bit better in that if you bid within 5 minutes of the end of auction, they will extend the auction for 5 more minutes, but people still wait for the very end in most cases.

BradJudy

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2005, 03:55 am »
Already up by more than $100 - that didn't take long.  :)

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:21 pm »
I think it can vary a lot. Like selling anything, it is a matter of who sees it and when. When they did the 9/11 auction the whole deal had very high visability. It was featured right on the front end of audiogon.  I had just hoped to raise more for the cause. At any rate, even if you have to re bid a few times today, looks like you're going to get quite a deal :)

rosconey

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2005, 01:23 pm »
maybe you should have done a raffle like av123 just did-200 tickets at 50$ each for a 5-6grand ht setup,i gave it a shot.

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2005, 06:39 pm »
Well it took almost two weeks, but it looks like the action has heated up substantially here in the home stretch :) I guess that is the nature of auctions. I just want to see a happy new customer, and some dollars for people who really need them.

Tonto Yoder

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2005, 09:46 pm »
Mike,
I appreciate your efforts; I'm not in the market for speakers now, but thought I'd just contribute directly to the charity you seem to have earmarked for the auction proceeds--

http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org/

Maybe with the final bid and some AC members kicking in a few stray $$, we can reach a generous amount.

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2005, 11:28 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Mike,
I appreciate your efforts; I'm not in the market for speakers now, but thought I'd just contribute directly to the charity you seem to have earmarked for the auction proceeds--

http://www.sos-childrensvillages.org/

Maybe with the final bid and some AC members kicking in a few stray $$, we can reach a generous amount.

Tonto:

THAT is wonderful, thank you!

circularduck

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2005, 06:32 pm »
It looks like Audiogon has now put the tsunami auctions on the first page.  There are several auctions now going.  It's a little too late for ACI, but I'm sure the person who "stole" the Sapphire's isn't complaining.  It would have been good if the auction had more visibility when it was active.

Mike Dzurko

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2005, 12:51 am »
Part of me wishes that we'd waited with our donation until the process was as visable as it is now . . . but, what's important is that this ball is rolling, I'm glad we could help start that process . . .here's to raising as much help for these people as possible. I hope the audio community will really be generous on this one. I can't imagine the loss so many of these people are experiencing . . .

Tonto Yoder

Asian Tsunami Auction
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2005, 01:02 am »
Quote from: circularduck
It looks like Audiogon has now put the tsunami auctions on the first page......

I too wish they'd have done that sooner--I had trouble finding Mike's auction even though I KNEW it was there...someplace! :cry:  If it had been a bit more obvious, I'm sure the Sapphires would have gone for a more realistic bid.