new belt changed the sound of table

mgsboedmisodpc2

new belt changed the sound of table
« on: 29 Sep 2018, 03:10 am »
I replaced my Well Tempered Classic square motor turntable belt to one made of rubber.  The first thing I noticed is how quickly the platter begins to rotate because of how tight the belt is.  I decided to play a record I recently played "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap AC/DC".  The highs were louder the  percussion cymbals played cleaner thru the Denon 103r.  I would say the music came off the grooves with greater precision because the belt reduced motor vibration and improved speed tracking.  The guitar on Dirty Deeds I could hear in between the cords.  I decided to replace the older belt which is no longer made by well tempered because of the increasing number of platter rotations it took to get up to speed.  So I guess the friction caused by the needle on the grooves the newer belt easily over comes than the older belt.
This rubber belt seems to have a higher friction ratio than well tempered belt which is made from so sort of polypropylene

pix4work

Re: new belt changed the sound of table
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2018, 03:25 am »
Would you share where you got the new belt? I have a WT Classic, also, and have been looking for a replacement belt. The WT distributor, Toffco, no longer has access to the old stock belts.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2018, 03:31 am »
This is a very refined TT with any belt, if change the LP to Mozart the performance may stay slightly better ymmv.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2018, 03:56 am »

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2018, 05:32 pm »
I have a Well Tempered Reference and this belt is superb .

https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/turntable-upgrades-modification/turntable-belt-upgrade/

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2018, 12:59 pm »
"“Upgrade Belt” can also be used with any Origin Live DC Motor Kit."
So the above is not true then?  I have contacted Origin Live to find out if this belt can be used with other motor drives

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2018, 04:11 pm »
Origin Live responded by writing
"If your deck runs on a square belt then ours are unsuitable."
The  WELL TEMPERED CLASSIC turntable uses a flat belt not a square belt.
So I guess the origin Live Turntable Belt Upgrade (flat only) might work as well.
The Origin Live product called "Upgrade Belt" supposedly has vibration damping properties greater than other rubber or polyurethane belts.
The well tempered classic uses a Turntable Belt 35.1 inches long.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2018, 02:29 am »
Well I finally order another new turntable belt the Origin live Upgrade belt.
The size I ordered was the 914.00mm (35.9843 inch) which is closet to 891.54mm (35.1 inch) size belt recommended for the Well Tempered Classic which results in the belt's circumference being slightly larger than the platter circumference and the Origin live belt at 914 mm will not stay attached to the Well Tempered Classic with square motor platter.  I did not find this to be an issue since I keep the belt on the motor pulley with the twist.

After listing to one album in total and a favorite track of another album. I had to communicate my surprise at noticing improvements over the other new flat belt I recently purchased to replace and older worn and stretched belt I purchased from Stanalog years ago. Stability of tones and separation of notes and increased depth of field are the improvements i NOTICED and heard.  Joe Jackson Night And Day is the Album I played in total.  The track I always noticed flutter on "A Slow Song" has gone away. The favorite track of another album is titled Butter Fly from Herbie Handcock's Thrust album and there I heard those tones so stable.

The grunt from the grunt with the bass on both albums one could clearly hear using the new belt. I could hear the string being shaken on the fret resulting in a wavering sound.

Anyways I will continue to listen to the improvements and for sure recommend anyone using a well tempered classic turntable with the flat belt to try the Origin Live improved Belt size 914mm or a special order non stand size closer to 35.1 inches circumference.

Of course what I should do next is swap out one newer belt for the other newer belt eliminating any doubt to the heard improvements but  that will take time