SalkStream first pass prototype

jsalk

Re: SalkStream first pass prototype
« Reply #40 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:18 pm »
SSD's have a lot of merit where the operating system is concerned. The entire system just operates faster.  But for music storage, the drive only needs to be fast enough to serve up the music.  SATA is just fine for the music files themselves (unless, of course, you are going for a truly silent server of the fan-less variety).

- Jim
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 09:59 pm by jsalk »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #41 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:52 pm »
Nuance,

Sata is just fine for music storage. The only reason I have SSD's is for boot perfomance and loading games ...I hate waiting for a system to take several minutes to boot up. Also several games I like to play take a long time to load.

The boot OS I have in Raid 0 is again , 60gb. I only have Win7 on it and one of my hoggish loading games. Its more than enough in size for this, all the rest of my programs I use often are on the second Raid 0 of 240 gb.

I also in this system have a 1.5TB Sata drive for music and photograhs and a Win7 backup of the boot Raid 0.

I also have the music and photos copied to no less than 5 other sata drives in external enclousres and other pcs for security.

Alex

Nuance

« Reply #42 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:27 pm »
Yup - I agree with you guys.  SATA is plenty fast for music streaming/storage.  I just meant I'd love to step up to SSD for boot and OS.  Hopefully soon. :)

Nels Ferre

« Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2011, 03:55 pm »
SSD's have a lot of merit where the operating system is concerned. The entire system just operates faster.  But for music storage, the drive only needs to be fast enough to serve up the music.  SATA is just fine for the music files themselves (unless, of course, you are going for a truly silent server of the fan-less variety).

- Jim

Which brings up an interesting question:

The only issue is have with my Mac setup is iTunes loading time. It takes about 3 minutes for the spinning beach ball to sop so that I can listen to music. It worked perfectly until the library had 1100 or so CDs in it.

I realize that iTunes itself is just a database (the actual music files are stored on an external USB drive - with 2 additional back up drives as well that are not connected except to back up.) Given that, I can't see a reason why it is so darned slow.

Would switching to a SSD drive in my Mac Mini (2010 unibody 2.4 processor 8GB RAM) for the OS and applications improve this?  I don't really care about boot time, as it is acceptable, and the Mini is only rebooted for software updates. It is on 24/7 for weeks at  time.

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
I have been doing solid state drives for 2 years now.
2 30gb in raid 0 for boot drive. 2 120gb in raid 0 for data.

Alex

120/240 gb for data?  If you're trying to hold DVDs (or videos or recorded TV), that's nowhere near enough.  Now, if you had a server/network attached storage, then having a smaller drive might work. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:11 pm »
I don't have any music on the data ssd.  I have several
Programs like photoshop music editors games, and
Find 240 gb ok........again I use a large sata drive for flacs.

Ssds are still very expensive.

Its amazing on how little space you need. When you have a small finite storage size you have to watch what your intstalling etc...but having SSD's to boot and load certain apps from has saved tons of time for me. I dont think I could stand not having at least the boot drive be an SSD.

Alex

« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2011, 08:22 pm by adydula »

Nuance

« Reply #46 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:25 pm »
Which brings up an interesting question:

The only issue is have with my Mac setup is iTunes loading time. It takes about 3 minutes for the spinning beach ball to sop so that I can listen to music. It worked perfectly until the library had 1100 or so CDs in it.

I realize that iTunes itself is just a database (the actual music files are stored on an external USB drive - with 2 additional back up drives as well that are not connected except to back up.) Given that, I can't see a reason why it is so darned slow.

Would switching to a SSD drive in my Mac Mini (2010 unibody 2.4 processor 8GB RAM) for the OS and applications improve this?  I don't really care about boot time, as it is acceptable, and the Mini is only rebooted for software updates. It is on 24/7 for weeks at  time.

Could your USB connection be limiting the access time?  Does the MAC have eSATA?  Perhaps it is just iTunes, but the faster the connection speed of the hard drive the better IMO.