New owner of Songtower RTs

coke

New owner of Songtower RTs
« on: 6 Mar 2011, 02:00 am »
Well not me, but my dad.   I was looking around audiogon and found a pair of Songtower RTs in curly maple being sold locally.   I thought I was the only person in my state with a set of Salks, so I was VERY surprised to see these.  The price was too good to pass up, and after a couple hours I talked my dad into buying them.  I almost talked myself into buying them to use as surrounds, but after speaking to my dad, we decided it was time he joined the "Salk Family". 

A few hours later they were delivered to our house free of charge  :thumb:  The person I bought them from was very friendly, and not pushy at all about completing the sell.

The finish is excellent except for a small chip on a back bottom corner that will never be seen.  I spent a lot of money for the veneer on my HT2-TLs, but the "standard" veneer on the songtowers is still amazing. These speakers were made in 2010, so they look practically brand new.  They also have the latest ER15RLY woofers.

I was floored when I first listened to them.  I couldn't believe how close they were to my speakers at 1/3 the cost.  All the good things I've read about these are true, and I can't imagine anything beating them for the price.  The worst part is that the soundstage and imaging was actually better than my speakers.  My HT2-TLs are crammed into a small bedroom, and the songtowers in a large open living room with 14' ceilings were on a completely different level  :bawl:

Prior to my Salks, I had a pair of Dynaudio Contour S1.4   When I decided to replace them, I was going back and forth between songtowers and HT2-TLs.  I decided that I wanted to be sure to get a noticeable improvement, so I went with the more expensive speakers.  After hearing the Songtowers, I believe I would have been just as happy with them as a replacement for the Dynaudios, even without the ribbon upgrade.

My dad is currently using an Ipod with lossless connected to an old but nice Sansui receiver.  His electronics are obviously lacking behind mine, and although the songtowers sound great, I see tubes in the near future :wink:

I'm 25 years old, and NEVER in my life have I seen my dad smile like he did today.  Owning and listening to Salk speakers is truly an emotional experience, and I'm thankful to be lucky enough to get to share it with him.

Will2

Re: New owner of Songtower RTs
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2011, 02:08 am »
I think I saw those posted for sale - great opportunity.  I'm glad someone here managed to pick them up - glad to hear they are bringing some joy.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:14 am »
That's great.  Thanks for the post.  The HT2TL's really are better speakers, but sometimes I think reviewers overstate the difference.  It's mostly a matter of bass extension.  So--uh--why was the dude selling?

coke

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:25 am »
That's great.  Thanks for the post.  The HT2TL's really are better speakers, but sometimes I think reviewers overstate the difference.  It's mostly a matter of bass extension.  So--uh--why was the dude selling?

Yes, there's no question that the HT2TL's are better.  I believe that they are worth the extra money and would still suggest people choose them over songtowers if funds allow.

My first assumption was that he was selling to fund an upgrade, but he said he was having financial issues and needed money.   He looked sad to see the speakers go, and had nothing but positive things to say about them.  I felt bad for the guy.  I can't imagine having to give my speakers up.

mathgeek97

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm »
Congrats to Coke's dad!
I'm thinking that your dad needs something better than an iPod to get music to his receiver.  He'd smile even more if you brought some of your electronic toys over.
It's a never-ending adventure, and I hope he'll enjoy it for years!

Kinger

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2011, 12:00 am »
I saw these for sale as well and thought somebody was getting a GREAT deal on them considering they listed new for $2500.  Have a pair myself and every time I get the opportunity to listen to them (not as often as I'd like given I have two young kids) I'm astounded by how great they sound.

vermont99

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2011, 01:36 pm »
Here’s a link comparing Flac to MP3 pretty interesting. I know the sound on a laptop stinks but you can still hear the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEq3Z-Bfv18

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2011, 02:57 pm »
Your dad is a lucky man, A) Because he's got an awesome son that steered him in the proper direction, and B) He purchased a killer pair of speakers. 

Thanks for sharing this with us, coke.  I hope your dad continues to enjoy them for many years!

PMAT

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2011, 03:42 pm »
How about a stress fund for the guy who sold them?  I agree coke, selling my main gear for rent would be awful. Usually stress sales are for mid-fi gear or something nice that was inherited. You have upherited your dad. What a nice thing to do. That would be a nice trend for all the aging baby boomers.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2011, 03:07 pm by PMAT »

et+kooper

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2011, 10:46 am »
I am an aging baby boomer and just received conformation that my Song Tower and Song Center are being shipped early next week!!!! It has been 5 weeks since I called to order and a long time listening to TV and Movies through my Pioneer Plasma which is not bad as Pioneer does a great job with their speaker system but they are NOT Salk Speakers!!!

et+kooper

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:58 am »
My Salk Song Tower and Song Center Ch. speakers arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW.The finish on my Black Satin speakers is great and the sound with a couple hours playing is Fabulous.I can say all the reviews are correct as the sound in 2 Ch. and surround is amazing.I have owned speakers from Def Tech and Aerial and for the sound and money the SongTowers and Song Center is much more like the musicians are playing in my room.I will now have Salk make me a center ch. speaker stand which will match the bottom half of the Song Tower and the look of the same stands across the front stage should be stunning.I am now in speaker heaven and can get lost in my Home Theater and 2 Ch. room for quite a few days thanks to Jim and his great speakers!!!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:30 am »
Congratulations to both coke's Dad, and et+. Welcome to the Salk family.  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:55 pm »
Hi   I'm happy to hear you're happy.  Which tweeter did you get?

et+kooper

« Reply #13 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:37 pm »
I did not have Jim put the updated tweeter in the Songs and Song Center.The speakers sound great with the stock tweeters in 2 Ch. or surround for movies.The speakers in this price range are fabulous as I have auditioned and owned speakers for much more and have not sounded this good.D Murphy you have put one great cross over in these speakers and I can now hear why they have won so many praises and I have only had them hooked up for one day.Great job by D Murphy and Jim and company for great made cabinets and parts used to make these FANTASTIC speakers.

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:19 pm »
Congrats, et+kooper - welcome to the Salk family!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:38 pm »
Hi   I'm happy to hear you're happy.  Which tweeter did you get?

Dennis - looks like little Ben ain't so little anymore from BRM's avatar. You'll have to update yours. And good luck with that tail. You'll have the cleanest coffee tables in the neighborhood.  :lol: Give him a scratch from all of us.

oldmp3

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2011, 06:04 pm »
[...] I will now have Salk make me a center ch. speaker stand which will match the bottom half of the Song Tower and the look of the same stands across the front stage should be stunning. [...]

Enjoy your SongTowers.  Jim made a nice stand for my SongCenter a while back... Since the center is below the screen the wedges angle it up to "ear level".

et+kooper

« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:40 pm »
Enjoy your SongTowers.  Jim made a nice stand for my SongCenter a while back... Since the center is below the screen the wedges angle it up to "ear level".

Nice looking stand as i will have Jim make a stand that sits below my Plasma which is on the wall.I will measure from the floor to bottom of screen minus the 8 inches for the Song speaker.I want the same stand as on the Song Tower also with the base and it will match the Songs left and right.

et+kooper

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:49 pm »
Congrats, et+kooper - welcome to the Salk family!
       While I was waiting for my Salks I read all your 2 threads on Salk Speakers and your speaker journey and have some great info on my set up and listening to my speakers.You all were right about how great the sound is from the Salks.  Great job!!!!!

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm »
       While I was waiting for my Salks I read all your 2 threads on Salk Speakers and your speaker journey and have some great info on my set up and listening to my speakers.You all were right about how great the sound is from the Salks.  Great job!!!!!

Thank you sir; you're too kind.  I am thrilled you're loving your system!  So ah...how about some pics? :D