TWL Ethernet Cables, anyone???

lokie

Re: TWL Ethernet Cables, anyone???
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2016, 10:56 pm »
Put me down as interested but I need 40 feet.

Me likes the looks of the Telegärtner RJ45 connectors. 

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2017, 03:39 am »
Looking forward to seeing the testbresults @jwtrace suggests.  Do you have any product pictures, i love the look designers give to expensive wires!

Triode Pete

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jan 2017, 06:26 pm »
Put me down as interested but I need 40 feet.

Me likes the looks of the Telegärtner RJ45 connectors.

The prototypes (yes, there are several with different lengths) that are on tour have Pandit connectors.

The production models will have the expensive Telegärtner's!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #23 on: 22 Jan 2017, 08:47 pm »
Here's a pic of the "prototype" 6 foot "tour cable"...

As mentioned earlier, the production models will have the expensive Telegärtner connectors.

Also, production models will have an improved aesthetic look as well...

Here's the TOUR LIST

1) zybar (has 6' model; may be getting the Telegärtner prototype as well)
2) paul79
3) mikeeastman (has 3' model as requested)
4) hi5harry (we will see if we can get you a 20 footer!)
5) Ern Dog
6) this_is_vv (will try to get you TWO 6 footers!)
7) Tomy2Tone
8 ) Tubeburner
9) lokie (40 footer, eh? Oh Boy!)
10) TBD

Cheers,
Pete

HanaEyes

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2017, 12:05 am »
If you're good with shipping to Singapore for the tour, I'd like to give one a try too! Would only need a 6' one, between the router and modem :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2017, 11:49 am by HanaEyes »

mfsoa

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2017, 01:06 am »
Hey Pete,

What's the shortest ethernet cable you could make, or would recommend?
What'll be the shortest stock length?

Thanks!
-Mike

Triode Pete

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2017, 07:48 pm »
Hey Pete,

What's the shortest ethernet cable you could make, or would recommend?
What'll be the shortest stock length?

Thanks!
-Mike

Hi Mike,
The shortest one Dave E & I recommend is 0.75m, or ~ 30" long...

Cheers,
Pete

mdconnelly

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2017, 04:52 pm »
Pete, add me to the tour as well... I clearly haven't found enough ways to throw money at wire.  The good thing is that it is always TWL wire!

3'-6' length is fine for me to try.   I'll be comparing it to BJC 5' Cat 6.   Mine are purple so that's gonna be hard to beat.

Triode Pete

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2017, 07:53 pm »
Pete, add me to the tour as well... I clearly haven't found enough ways to throw money at wire.  The good thing is that it is always TWL wire!

3'-6' length is fine for me to try.   I'll be comparing it to BJC 5' Cat 6.   Mine are purple so that's gonna be hard to beat.

You got it, Mike!

Cheers,
Pete

audiogurujax

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2017, 04:25 pm »
Pete, Ad me too I need 2 cables, a 3 feet and a 6 feet

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #30 on: 5 Mar 2017, 05:27 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the testbresults @jwtrace suggests.  Do you have any product pictures, i love the look designers give to expensive wires!

Any updates on the testing?

mdconnelly

« Reply #31 on: 5 Mar 2017, 06:59 pm »
Let me first preface that a) I have no experience comparing ethernet cables for sound quality and b) in my years of IT experience, the only difference in ethernet cables is that they either work or they don't.  But, knowing Dave and Pete were behind this cable, I thought I'd give it a try. To be honest, I didn't really expect to hear a difference (just another form of expectation bias I suppose).  Then again, all of their products to date have been exceptional so I was eager to check this out... might learn something along the way.

From a build perspective, this TWL ethernet cable is impressive... very high quality materials, construction and terminations... definitely slicker than any other ethernet cable I've seen.

As background, I have structured wiring throughout my home and have been using Blue Jeans Cat6 patchcords throughout.  They seem to serve their purpose well and I like that BJC tests each and every cable they sell. 

For music streaming, I use Roon from a Win 10 i7 desktop located several rooms away from my listening room.  For purposes of testing, I used the TWL cable to my Devialet 440Pro in two scenarios:

1) between wall and Sonore microRendu/iFi PS to Devialet USB
2) between wall and Devialet via ethernet/Devialet AIR app

I bought the uRendu last year because the Devialet AIR v2 application was not stable.  But a recent AIR v3 beta release is now not only stable but sounds better as well.  So now, whether using AIR or the uRendu, sound quality is exceptional.  So on to testing...

Scenario 1: TWL ethernet cable between wall and uRendu - I swear I could not hear a difference. At times, I thought the TWL cable offered a bit more openness & extension, but then I'd switch back and not hear a difference.  While it confirmed my expectations, it was also frustrating to try numerous times with no findings.  (Fears of age-related hearing loss began to creep in... ;-)

Scenario 2: TWL ethernet from wall to Devialet directly using the AIR app.  OK, now I was pretty sure I could hear an improvement with the TWL cable... a bit less glare and a more  relaxed presentation.  The differences were slight and I suspect I'd fail any kind of blind test, but I was surprised that these results were different than via the uRendu.

So, I wouldn't say that's a strong endorsement, but there it is. Perhaps the uRendu does a better job of keeping the signal clean. Or perhaps it is masking something that is revealed by using AIR and the TWL cable. 

I by no means have golden ears, but to put things in context, I can hear differences in PCs, SCs and ICs, so struggling to hear a difference between a BJC ethernet cord and the TWL cord leads me to think that there may be better ways for me to invest in my system. 

Or maybe I just need to get my ears checked...

zacho

« Reply #32 on: 28 Dec 2017, 06:03 pm »
Anyone else on the tour list able to provide your impressions of the TWL ethernet cable? I just got my network streamer and am starting to look at audiophile ethernet cables. More user feedback will be great!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 28 Dec 2017, 08:49 pm »
  Have yet to hear one. I would like any Ethernet cable I try to be shielded. Use CAT7 or 8 design. Conductors copper, not silver coated. Grounded as well with gold plated RG45 connectors.
  I expect to hear a difference using such between the Aqua Vida transport and Formula DAC. I have tried several different designs from different manufacturers and all have a sing to their sound.
  Knowing the sound of TWL cables in general how could I go wrong ??? 

charles

zoom25

« Reply #34 on: 28 Dec 2017, 09:22 pm »
As I comprehend it, Digital audio transmission has a low speed requirement in comparison to fast Ethernet or Gigabit requirements that are aimed at bulk data and video transmission. Foil shielding adds capacitance that causes audible ringing (jitter) that obscures low level detail. It is a time domain phenomena.

Pete

Ethernet data transmission is not digital audio until a receiving digital audio renderer converts it to such.

Steve

Exactly. With all of these streamers, digital players, and renderers, which further feed the DAC, the ethernet is sending data and not audio signals. The audio renderer is the one converting it to digital audio. So what would leading edge at audio frequencies matter with data transfer? I can see it making a difference for AES cables and such.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 8 Mar 2018, 04:28 pm »
  Have yet to hear one. I would like any Ethernet cable I try to be shielded. Use CAT7 or 8 design. Conductors copper, not silver coated. Grounded as well with gold plated RG45 connectors.
  I expect to hear a difference using such between the Aqua Vida transport and Formula DAC. I have tried several different designs from different manufacturers and all have a sing to their sound.
  Knowing the sound of TWL cables in general how could I go wrong ??? 

charles

Well, well, well. Got one burned in for 200 hours and this cable is mine, mine mine, you hear that mine. Compared to wireworld Starlite, supra and AQ.
  Every sonic virtue is now more evident, more focused, More clarity, better sound stage and most important does NOT add or subtract a thing. Does no harm, BRILLIANT.
  I use it to connect my aqua La Vida transport and Aqua Formula DAC. Next will try from router to Innuos Zenithmk2 music server. A no brainer purchase with money back policy.

charles

Triode Pete

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2018, 06:39 pm »
A "sneak peek" of the new TWL "Freedom" ethernet cables with the highest quality Telegärtner RJ45 connectors!

KLH007

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2018, 09:02 pm »
Pete, the Telegartner connectors look serious, either a mechanical snake or a spacecraft docking device!

Ern Dog

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jul 2018, 03:55 pm »
Here's a pic of the "prototype" 6 foot "tour cable"...

As mentioned earlier, the production models will have the expensive Telegärtner connectors.

Also, production models will have an improved aesthetic look as well...

Here's the TOUR LIST

1) zybar (has 6' model; may be getting the Telegärtner prototype as well)
2) paul79
3) mikeeastman (has 3' model as requested)
4) hi5harry (we will see if we can get you a 20 footer!)
5) Ern Dog
6) this_is_vv (will try to get you TWO 6 footers!)
7) Tomy2Tone
8 ) Tubeburner
9) lokie (40 footer, eh? Oh Boy!)
10) TBD

Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete,
Can you give an update about where we are on the tour list?  I’m still interest in this.

Thanks,
Ernie

Triode Pete

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jul 2018, 02:11 am »
Hi Pete,
Can you give an update about where we are on the tour list?  I’m still interest in this.

Thanks,
Ernie

Hey Ernie
The tour is officially over... We made some important design change improvements from the initial feedback and placed into production the official "Freedom" cable here... https://www.triodewirelabs.com/product/freedom-ethernet-cable/

Sorry for not reporting back sooner...

Cheers,
Pete