starting drum lessons- leaning toward Electronic kit

stlrman

I am thinking seriously about starting lessons. I played for about a year when I was a kid.
A few questions...
Looking at taking lessons through a shop. Lessons are $25 a week for 1/2 hour lessons. It seems all the shops bill you for the month.

My end goal : I would like to get good enough to play in a band or jam with others for fun.

I have a limited budget for a kit , so I was taking a look a electronic.
 This would be nice for a few reasons. nice small size, so I may be able to put it my dining room. you can play back to songs , lessons, metronome etc. And I can practice when other people are around !! Noise level can be almost zero with headphones. seems like alot of fun can be had with electronic drums!!!
Obviously , the biggest downside is that I would have to buy an acoustic kit , if I ever get to the point of playing in a band.
I have been researching the ,Alesis Nitro Mesh Electronic Drum Set . Retails for $350 . Price is very right. Yes I will need a chair and sticks. It's all mesh, seems like great quality.
That's where I am at right now.
 I know I can start out on a pad, but I think I am waaay more likely to practice on an E kit!
Thoughts, advice, comments , are welcome.
Thanks!!
Todd

Big Red Machine

Re: starting drum lessons- leaning toward Electronic kit
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2019, 06:15 pm »
Looks like the next best thing to being there. Those didn't exist when I was 8 and starting out :duh:

The adjustability the head tensions will give a more realistic feel. The targets are only 8 inches so that will make you much more accurate when they enlarge to 14 or more on the real thing later.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2019, 07:42 pm »
I commend your efforts.  Don't know how old you are now, but I decided to take up the drum set at 40. No prior musical instrument attempts. I started at the same time as a 13 year old who also played cello to make his parents happy.  Professional teacher with a studio at his home. First call drummer in the area.  I practiced 2 hours a day 6 days a week. That kid was dusting me within a few weeks and only sporadically practicing. 2 years later I still didn't have enough chops to play with others. I could read the charts and knew what to do but just couldn't get my hands and feet to take the signal from my brain.  :D  Had a cheapie 5 piece set. The electronic drums weren't as readily available as now. Seems like a reasonable way to start.

When I gave up the drums, I got back into audio. A recording engineer once told me many in that industry are frustrated musicians, including him.  :D Good luck.

Creed

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2019, 07:55 pm »
I've been playing since a little kid I'm 56 now and still play out. If I were you I would buy an acoustic kit and change the heads to a mesh type head I think remo makes them they are quiet. They are the same type of heads on expensive ddrum electric kits and feel very natural for what they are. Then when you want to jam with friends put on your real drum heads. The quality of today's entry level kits are awesome compared to long ago. You can also teach your self it's not hard it's all muscle memory and repetition, your brain and limbs have to sink up it just takes time just don't give up it will become second nature. Start of with 1/4 notes 1234 then 8 th notes 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. All this can be done without a kit just a pair of sticks and a pillow, bass drum on 1 and 3, snare drum on 2 and 4, keep the right hand or hi hat on everything.good luck it's easy.

Creed

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2019, 09:08 pm »
Sorry didn't read all your post, your on right track with mesh heads

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2019, 11:15 pm »
If you are thinking of taking lessons go to
Drumeo.com
Everything from basic to world class drum teachers ect.
1000% cheaper than private,especially when you can learn from world class players.
I’m 63 and still play(at home).
Been using the Roland td20+30 brains with my Roland pads.
My 1979 Gretsch walnut still sit in my shed in their anvil cases(rating) lol
Drummond has a lot of free lessons on YouTube also
Love my Rolands as you can add different size rooms,drum sizes,heads ect at a push of a button.
Also tension the heads ect
Something more to ponder ENJOY

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2019, 01:28 am »
Sure! Play on whatever will keep you excited to keep playing through the initial period of frustration and impatience. You can switch later with minor adjustment.

The Alan Dawson method is good.

fado

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2019, 03:13 am »
I know nothing about lessons, but my son recently purchased an electronic drum set, ATV aDrums, which is made with real drum shells and looks and feels like his acoustic set. He was in a high school punk rock band but now just likes to play as a way of relaxing after work.

http://www.atvcorporation.com/en/products/drums/adrums/

Good Luck

Creed

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2019, 05:03 am »
Check out Brain buying a used crappy drum set,pretty funny st the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tF5tSTxyahg