Solid State amps that mate well with Songtowers

Yomaha

Solid State amps that mate well with Songtowers
« on: 16 Sep 2018, 03:35 am »
Anyone have any experience pairing SS amps in $3-5k range with the Songtower line?  That price isn't hard and fast - just a range new or used  Of course some amps punch above their weight. TIA

Ace Deprave

Re: Solid State amps that mate well with Songtowers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2018, 01:55 pm »
I have Veracity STs, not Songtowers, but I love the sound of them paired with my Van Alstine Synergy 450. AVA has a shop demo right now on their site for sale at a good price.

https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/copy-of-used-transcendence-eight-sl-vacuum-tube-preamplifier-in-compact-chassis

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2018, 04:41 pm »
Thx for the links!  I'll check those out. I've been looking at the Firstwatt stuff by Nelson Pass. Here is a recent review of the SIT3

https://www.cnet.com/news/high-expectations-for-a-low-power-audiophile-amplifier/

vtvu

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2018, 06:01 pm »
I am using the Peachtree decco 125 SKY (retail $999) with the SongTowers in RMAF $5000 budget room this year.
Jim will tell you he is a fan of Peachtree amps for the money.
Beside sounding great, the decco SKY comes with a built-in MM phono stage, USB and digital input for the built-in DAC, another analog set of input, AND a wireless streamer (Spotify and Quboz) to boot.  A very versatile box.
Come to Room 2001 to hear how it drives the SongTowers.
Vinh Vu
Gingko Audio and DanaCable

Rooster19

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2018, 02:35 pm »
Songtowers are not hard to drive as mentioned above; 3-5k to drive them seems like an awful lot.....

DFpritchard

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2018, 07:28 pm »
I am using a Parasound Halo Integrated (160 wpc) to drive new Song3s.  Same sensitivity as Song Towers, I think.  Plenty of power, terrific sound stage though I am finding the Song3s sensitive to placement in order to maximize spatial imaging.  Overall, I find the combination quite musical.  The rest of the system is ERC-3 transport, internal DAC on the Halo, Richard Grey Power Company power conditioning, BlueJean cables.  No acoustic treatment of room that is roughly 20 x 15 x 18 high.

Parasound recently released a new version of the Halo at MSRP $2995 I think.  I bought mine 'used' last year, less than a year old, on Audiogon for $1400.  $3-5K is a great price point, whether used or new.  I agree with a previous post that something too analytical (e.g., Krell) might not be a great match with Salk, which is already quite analytical.  Used McIntosh integrated might be a good match.