Updating my GR n2x speakers to Selah Verita

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Re: Updating my GR n2x speakers to Selah Verita
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jun 2013, 01:34 am »
Hi Henry,

I've thought about it but that would be best suited for a tower or larger speaker. Maybe that'll be my next set of speakers :)

Matt

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 19 Jun 2013, 01:37 am »
Matt, still very nice looking speakers!  Just wondering, since you could maybe do it before sending the baffles in to anno, how about a recess to flush mount the tweeter?  Might be splitting hairs, but it could be worth doing?

Rick told me to mount them start to the baffle but recessing them a 1/16" in would make it flush. Now you got me thinking  :green:

Matt

WGH

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jun 2013, 01:47 am »
Matt,

Recessing the tweets is what I was thinking too...and maybe add a little for a foam seal; you might be getting reflections off the edges right now. Shoot a PM to Dennis Murphy (DMurphy), he knows a lot about the RAAL tweeter.

Wayne

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 19 Jun 2013, 01:55 am »
Thanks Wayne!!

Ill pm him soon :)

Matt

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 19 Jun 2013, 02:06 pm »
Rick told me to mount them start to the baffle but recessing them a 1/16" in would make it flush. Now you got me thinking  :green:

Matt

This will change the offset between the drivers which affects the crossover. Since it's a very small amount of distance change there might not be any negative impact; however, I cannot say for sure without measuring the response.

ricardojoa

« Reply #45 on: 19 Jun 2013, 02:12 pm »
This will change the offset between the drivers which affects the crossover. Since it's a very small amount of distance change there might not be any negative impact; however, I cannot say for sure without measuring the response.

Interesting. Rick, do you remember that i opted my tempesta raal flush mounted? Is my crossover tweeked to acomplish my request?

nickd

« Reply #46 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:01 pm »
+1 for flush mount.

Those are way too nice to compromise. They will measure better and sound better if the tweeter is flush mounted. 1/16" is no big deal for phase in the crossover and you are moving it in the right direction for proper time arrival anyway.

Very nice work!

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:44 pm »

Heard it from the man himself. I've leave the baffles the way they are and just clear anodize them :)

They sound wonderful, wouldn't want to change that....

Matt

ricardojoa

« Reply #48 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:54 pm »
I think the problem if any, could be more pronunced at higher frequency point since the wave length are much shorter, litle distance may be easier to detect.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #49 on: 19 Jun 2013, 04:41 pm »
Matt,

Recessing the tweets is what I was thinking too...and maybe add a little for a foam seal; you might be getting reflections off the edges right now. Shoot a PM to Dennis Murphy (DMurphy), he knows a lot about the RAAL tweeter.

Wayne

Flush mounting this tweeter is more cosmetic than anything else; in fact, it's less susceptible to mounting diffraction due to the inherent design of the tweeter itself. Diffraction is very dependent upon the measurement angle of the microphone. The composite of multiple angles is more important in terms of how we judge the sound (see the NRC tests of the Verita). If you look at the design of your own speaker there will be greater diffraction from the woofer surrounds above and below the tweeter than anything gained from flush mounting the tweeter.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #50 on: 19 Jun 2013, 06:05 pm »
Now you know why YG would charge $15k for what you just made.

YGA floor standing Carmel 8" 2-way is $18k/pr msrp IIRC.  But yeah, their little stand mount is actually $17k/pr last I checked.

I like Yoav's work.  Anat Reference kicked butt when I heard them a couple times.  Yoav and Dick Diamond are easy going, down to earth types; especially rare considering the product cost. 

Never ABd to anything else, but Dr. Karl Scheumann's AudioMachina sounded great.  Cabinets carved from solid one piece aluminum except one extra piece being the rear panel.  I like his CRM "only" $8k/pr:

http://audiomachina.com/products/crm/

Karl says the stress at the 90-degree joints is several times greater magnitude than next weakest point, which is why he carves them solid.  This makes little sense to me (which means nothing) because I never read a test state they measured (with a stethoscope or small accelerometer) greatest vibration at the joints, always a flat panel section. 

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #51 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:09 pm »
I like these speakers  :D :D :D :D

srb

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2013, 01:42 am »
The AudioMachina CRM is only 6" deep (!) ?

Here is a photo of the rear panel

Steve

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2013, 02:32 am »
The AudioMachina CRM is only 6" deep (!) ?...
Steve

Wow, that is a small enclosure!  Metric spec is 15cm, or 2.4mm less than 6in.  The smaller the greater is rigidity. 

Don't pass a chance to hear Karl's speakers.  Couple years ago at CES with Dan Wright's prototype DAC/preamp and 150 Signature power amp was best sound of the show (that or the high-value Aesthetic monos driving Vandy 5A Carbon very close by).  Got to play a CD with Frank Vignola playing a costly arch top built my friend 10 minutes south of where I now sit, a guitar I've seen Frank play and with which I'm very familiar.  Probably the closest reproduction ever of that guitar's tone, size, and density.  Could have stayed forever.  Great talking with Karl.  He makes each speaker by hand.  I gotta stop by and visit him some time.  He bought that CD he liked it so much.       

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 3 Jul 2013, 02:28 pm »
We had really bad storms, actually two storms in one day recently and it really put a knife into my system plans. My truck was damaged and big branches fell on my house and garage.

I've sold my entire system, except my Aluminati speakers (Verita kits) and Ncore amps. I have since got back on my feet and got a new car (2014 Kia Forte).

Early next week a used W4S DAC-2 is coming to me. This will be the heart of my system. My speakers should shine!!

More later......

Matt

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #55 on: 3 Jul 2013, 04:01 pm »
We had really bad storms, actually two storms in one day recently and it really put a knife into my system plans. My truck was damaged and big branches fell on my house and garage.

I've sold my entire system, except my Aluminati speakers (Verita kits) and Ncore amps. I have since got back on my feet and got a new car (2014 Kia Forte).

Early next week a used W4S DAC-2 is coming to me. This will be the heart of my system. My speakers should shine!!

More later......

Matt

Sorry to hear about the damage but good to know you're back up and running.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #56 on: 13 Jul 2013, 12:42 am »
Recently went through a hard time but after selling pretty much everything i could and working a lot of overtime, i am happly back to normal.

Why not get something nice, well get a few nice things. Got the car, put up acoustic panels and grabbed a used Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2.

The combination of the Aluminati speakers (Selah Verita), the Ncore 400's and the DAC 2, presents a pleasing experience. Very dynamic and fast. Reminds me of the sound from the Bel Canto DAC i had a few months ago.

I made a video showing things off :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9Rsg-FsSc&list=UUsDwrFR963fNIrbsesctC2w

Matt

pawsman

« Reply #57 on: 13 Jul 2013, 02:25 pm »
I'll bet the Ncore amps are a great match with the Aluminati/Selah Veritas. Are you doing
a Sub next?

pawsman

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 13 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm »
I'll bet the Ncore amps are a great match with the Aluminati/Selah Veritas. Are you doing
a Sub next?

pawsman

The ncores match really well, especially with the DAC 2. The sound has good speed, weight and definition. Very pleased with my setup, plus the acoustic panels add an extra sense of quietness it needed.

I might try and get some sub stands done but I've been building some amps as of late. Chip amps, class d (not ncore) and might try a few class a designs.

Matt