KWA 100 Tour Fan Mail and Feedback!

modwright

KWA 100 Tour Fan Mail and Feedback!
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm »
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place for those who are auditioning the KWA 100 'On Tour' to provide their feedback and experience with the amp.  The amp is in HI right now and will be leaving HI next week.

Thanks!

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2012, 07:51 pm by modwright »

Eric

Re: KWA 100 Tour Fan Mail and Feedback!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:53 pm »
Hope it doesn't get sun burned

jhm731

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:49 pm »
The Tour KWA 100 is currently on the way to Hendy in Seattle.

First, I want to thank Dan for allowing me to participate in the KWA 100 Tour.

I’ve been looking for a new amp for the last two years, and have tried a number of different amps: DAC4800A, MC-275 V, MC-1000, Rowland Model 12s and the AVA Insight 440H. None of these outperformed my Aberdeen Tact Audio S-2150.

This year I tried a First Watt J2. The J2 was wonderful and I immediately put my TacT up for sale.

Tried the J2 on a number of different speakers and found it doesn’t like loads below 8 ohms (at 4 ohms it only puts out 13 watts) and the heat sink temperature in my listening room was around 150 degrees F.   

I loved the sound, but I didn’t like the heat or the limited dynamics, so I sent it back.

Enter the KWA 100. IMO, it does everything the J2 does and sounds more effortless at all volume levels.

Imaging/soundstage via the time and phase coherent GMA EOS was outstanding.

The KWA 100 cost less than the J2 and the heat sink temperature in my room was around 94 degrees F.   Average listening room temperature is 74 degrees F.

I really enjoyed my time with the KWA 100 and would definitely consider buying one
if I keep the GMA EOS.

If I got one, I’d want the Cardas binding posts used on the KWA 150. I didn't like the WBT style binding posts on the Tour KWA. I’d also ask Dan to move the front power button, so I could use my Roller Block JRs instead of the factory supplied spikes and provide a switch to turn off the blue light show. See pictures.

Congratulations to Alan and Dan on a great product.

Aloha,

Dan

Associated equipment:
Macbook (4g Ram, SSD)/Analog Research Technology USB cable, Legato & U-Byte BNC cable.
Apple Apple TV/Upgraded Genesis Technologies Digital Lens
PS Audio PWT/ .5M I2S12 HDMI
PS Audio PWD-> Amp
Green Mountain Audio EOS speakers on custom stands
Audience Au24e Interconnects/speaker cables
Power cables – DIY Supra LoRad
Power conditioning-Front end components- RSA Haley, Amp- RSA Duke power (KWA 100 was tried with & without the power conditioner)
RealTraps Mini room treatment

« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm by jhm731 »

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2010, 11:49 pm »
Glad to hear that the tour is underway and I appreciate the initial feedback!

I will certainly consider the constructive feedback RE the type of binding posts and location of our power button.  I never considered the use of other footers, as with the KWA 150, it MUST be on the spikes to allow adequate clearance to shelf below, to allow adequate cooling.  The KWA 100 does run much cooler, so this isn't a necessity.  I didn't want a power button on the face and it is a pain to reach around to the rear to switch the amp on all the time.

I appreciate the feedback RE sonics.  I feel that it achieves our goal well, of providing a good amount of power, tube-like musicality and SS muscle, in a smaller form-factor, cooler operation and lower price than the 150.

The 150 IS a better sounding amp, but is not for everyones setup, budget, etc.

Thanks!

Dan

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2010, 12:55 am »
Glad to hear that the tour is underway and I appreciate the initial feedback!

I will certainly consider the constructive feedback RE the type of binding posts and location of our power button.  I never considered the use of other footers, as with the KWA 150, it MUST be on the spikes to allow adequate clearance to shelf below, to allow adequate cooling.  The KWA 100 does run much cooler, so this isn't a necessity.  I didn't want a power button on the face and it is a pain to reach around to the rear to switch the amp on all the time.

I appreciate the feedback RE sonics.  I feel that it achieves our goal well, of providing a good amount of power, tube-like musicality and SS muscle, in a smaller form-factor, cooler operation and lower price than the 150.

The 150 IS a better sounding amp, but is not for everyones setup, budget, etc.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan-

Roller Block Jrs would provide more than adequate clearance, and they have the same 1/4-20 thread that you use on the amps. See:

http://www.symposiumusa.com/rbjr.html

If you need more clearance, you can add their Precision Couplers:

http://www.symposiumusa.com/pcouplers.html

IMO, they work better than spikes.

I'll bet Symposium's founder Peter Bizlewicz would be happy to send you a set to try out.

Aloha,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:54 pm »
Thanks!

Dan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:19 am »
It's a month later....any more reviews ? :scratch:

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2010, 07:13 pm »
I was wondering the same myself.  I have heard brief positive snippets from people, but I too look forward to the feedback!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2010, 10:37 pm »

In order for me to evaluate Modwright KWA 100, I had to bring in my auxiliary speakers.  I normally tri-amp my speakers and high-pass the mid/treble at 280Hz.  This wouldn’t be a good set up to evaluate the KWA 100.  So, I brought out the Omega Super Hemps with Fostex supertweeters passively high-passed with .57 uF capacitor. one amp, one speaker; better.  I prepped the speakers by running them 2 days in a row face to face, out of phase with radio static to knock the cobwebs off the hemp drivers.   

Music used to evaluate:

Copeland:  Fanfare for the Common Man (Telarc).   It’s a workout for bass and treble.  Good stuff to check out the limits of a speaker (and the amp).
Mozart:  Eine Kliene Nachtmusik (Telarc).  Checks for rhythm, pace and agility.
Chopin:  Scherzo for Piano No. 1 by Rubinstein (RCA Living Stereo).  Nothing like piano to judge attack and decay and this piece gives piano a full workout.
Eva Cassidy:  Fields of Gold from Live At Blues Alley album.  Great piece to check for tonality and sibilance as I am familiar with the acoustics of this wonderful venue.
Charpentier:  Depuis le jour by Ileana Cotrubas and Placido Domingo (Sony Classical).  My favorite diva and tenor. 
Calypso Freedom by Sweet Honey in the Rock in the All for Freedom album (BMI).  Nice piece of a Cappella singing with a little percussion. 
Pink Floyd:  Time from the Dark Side of the Moon.  Great piece of music to check for sound stage.
Puccini:  Mario, Mario, Mario by Maria Callas from Tosca recorded in 1953 conducted by de Sabate (Angel).  Acid test for me as Callas’ voice can really grate on me if playback isn’t warm enough.  This is vinyl.
Saint Thomas by Sonny Rollins on Saxophone Collosus (Analog Productions 180 gm).  Tenor Sax hits the spot for me and this piece is a classic.  With the right set up it always sends chills down my spine.

System:

Digital is through Northstar 192 DAC/Transport modded by Empirical and fitted with Pace Car reclocker.
Analog gear is Teres 255 with Verus Rim Drive, Graham Phantom 2  tone arm,  Koetsu Urushi pickup and Aesthetix  Io Eclipse phono stage.
Preamp is Aesthetix Callisto Signature with 2 separate power supplies.
Everything ran though APS Pure Power 200.

Review:

This amp is a very good solid state amp that plays with power and authority.  It can play any types of music well but the strong point was playing full orchestral music.  It throws a holographic sound stage and micro dynamics are fast and punchy.  It’s really neutral on tones albeit a shade on the warm side compared to a class A Accuphase A20. This could be due to lack of power on the 20 watt Accuphase on the Omega speakers. But it also says a lot about the KWA amp as it is compares favorably with a class A amp.  It’s not as warm, though, as my Response Audio modded ASL Hurricanes  (Bella Extreme 200) running in triode which puts out 85 watts through 8 KT88 tubes per side.   Sibilance on Fields of Gold was little more pronounced with KWA 100 than with Bella Extreme 200.   Harmonics on voices and saxophone was richer with the tube amp than KWA 100 but it had better grip on percussion including the piano music.  The hammers on the piano really attacked the string leading to a fast and furious Scherzo by Chopin as it should be.  The piano notes were more rounded with Bella Extremes.  The macro dynamics were excellent as horns clearly rang on the Fanfare for the Common Man and big drums were tight with the KWA 100 -- not so with the tube amp.  A cappella singing was clean on KWA but lacked the harmonic richness in comparison to the Bella amp.  Time on the DSOTM was better with KWA with tighter control of the reverb and movement.  Eine Kliene Nachtmusic was very enjoyable with KWA amp.  It’s a very agile and fluid amp.  The opera divas were well presented and rendered eminently listenable through KWA amp but Bella Extreme has that tube je ne sais quoi to maks my knees go weak. KWA didn't have that.

Things changed though when I plugged in the KWA amp in my main system to run the ribbons on VMPS RM40 from 280Hz and up.  The damping prowess became irrelevant and the cleaner but leaner harmonics made music more sterile in comparison to the Bella Extreme tube amp powering the ribbons. 

In conclusion, I would highly recommend the KWA 100 amp for those who are running full way speakers with dynamic drivers although ribbon twitters would be fine as well.  The grip and punch on the woofers, liquid midrange and well extended highs would make KWA 100 a very good amp for full way speakers with cone drivers.  It may not suit planar speakers or monitor/sub combos as much. 
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm by woodsyi »

modwright

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2010, 01:03 pm »
Thanks!  I really appreciate your honest and thorough review, as well as comparison to a Push-Pull tube amp that I also know to be very good.

It is still a SS amp and as such, has strengths that a tube amp won't.  It also won't have quite the liquid midrange of a tube amp.  It really depends on what you want, but the goal was to produce a musical amp with the control of SS and the midrange warmth and sweetness that is missing from ALL but Class A SS amps.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Can you give us a price comparison of the $3295 KWA vs. the tube amps at $___?

Thanks!

Dan W.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:01 pm »
Dan,

KWA 100 is a really nice amp with good balance of finesse and force.  I have gone to multi-amping to take advantage of the strong points of different types of amps to match my drivers.  I don't think I have any amp that is as balanced as your KWA 100 even if each can better a facet of your amp. 

ASL Hurricanes as modded by Bill Baker went for $11K at the time I got them. 

http://www.bellaextreme.com/hurricaneextreme.htm
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2010, 03:29 pm by woodsyi »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2010, 03:25 am »
Time for my thoughts on the Modwright KWA 100SE.....in simple terms...

First a reminder.... :thumb:

Update on tour status!

We have pulled the KWA 100 in and are injecting a KWA 100SE as replacement for the remainder of the tour.  The SE was just developed, is $3995 instead of $3295 and has the following updates:

2 x total PS capacitance!
40% more output devices!
Upgraded Wima to MWI M-type caps!
Upgraded key signal path resistors to Takman carbon films.
Increased operating bias.

This is still a KWA 100, just SUPER-CHARGED!

Shipping to JRiggy on 8.27.10, so will arrive to him next week.  Remainder of schedule to shift accordingly.

Please call if you have any questions about your new date on the tour, if this effects you.

Thanks!

Dan Wright

SUPER-CHARGED it was....thank you Dan for the opportunity to try the KWA 100SE at home in my system. I also had the chance to hear it in two other systems. :D

The "tag line" for Modwright Instruments is .....Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

I might say......Sophisticated. Refined. Enjoyable. ....that has been my experience with this amp.

First....this amp is one of the best looking amps out there....quality stuff....nice build. When you first turn it on...you get a blue light show :lol:....after about 45 sec.'s its over and your ready to go...protection circuit/delayed start.

Since the amp is rated at 100 watts...the speakers used were my SP Tech Timepiece 2.0's...they enjoy power....good clean power.

My audio room is 12 x 13....wish it was bigger...but the acoustics are pretty good...its very "dead".

I like to "test" equipment....with the least amount of equipment....to access how a piece "sounds"...so I began with just a Cd player (modded Phillips CD-80),the KWA 100SE, and the SP Tech speakers. Cables and IC's were Ridge Street Audio Midnight Silver Editions...power cord - Kaplan Cable.

The music....a big variety....Rock, Jazz, Blues, World, and Classical....I'm never short of music. :wink:

What I heard was a SS amp that is "smooth"...."detailed"....with just the "right balance" between the highs - mids - and lows.

I enjoy an amp that can give a "solid bottom" to whatever music I'm playing...and that it does not "overpower" the rest of the sound....the KWA 100SE accomplished that.

I do prefer a SS amp over a tube amp....but I do also own tube amps.

Comparing it to my Butler 2250.....the Modwright had a slightly bigger sound stage...but the bass was better....fuller....solid.

The next phase was to add my Modwright SWL 9.0 SE linestage....I kept the CD-80...did not add another DAC or player ( I have a few).

Now....the sound opened wider....liquid....flowing....again the right balance. :thumb:

Turn up the juice...hitting 105db on the Radio Shack SLM...everything holds together...nice.  :rock:

Once again...fluid...quick...full sounding.

Then back to normal volume....80-85db....even at lower volume the sound is full...

Time for a trip....
Off to a friends house for the amp's overnight stay. He loves vinyl...so we set up the Modwright amp into his system...Sunny Cable H2W10 speakers, EE MiniMax preamp, Vista phono stage, Townshend Rock Reference Mk3 TT, Morrow Audio IC's and speaker cable. His usual amps...Redgum, Rawson, or Monarch.

I brought along the Modwright preamp as well...he wanted to check it out.

He has a nice room...bigger than mine.

I listened a bit....sounded good...then came back the next day.

His report....after a three hour session with his LP's...he was impressed with what he heard.
He did add the MW preamp....and things did sound even better after that.

One last trip....

Packed up the KWA 100SE, and off to Brooklyn. I had to drop it off at Matin's (mjosef) apartment (he's next in line)...plus I wanted to hear how it sounded in his system...on his VMPS speakers.
Along with his CAT preamp...Cd player....and TT....we listen to Cd's and a few Gratefull Dead LP's...once again I enjoyed what I heard there. His will be the next review. :thumb:

All in all....it was a very pleasant experience....with a very fine amp...one that I would consider owning.

Since this tour is open to AC members....why not "hop aboard"....check it out in your own system.

Thanks again Dan....my final comment....I LIKED IT !   :beer:

Chris

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:13 am »
Thanks Chris, I appreciate the thorough and well written feedback/review.  I a
 also pleased that you put it through its paces in different systems with different music, at high SPL's and low.

You have proven to me that our goals were met.  I appreciate the comments RE the amp's aesthetics.  We at MWI are all pleased with the sound and look of the KWA 100 and 100SE.

The SE version was intended to imrpove upon the 100 and give it greater control, deeper and tigher bass and more refined highs.  I believe we succeeded.

NOW you need to hear it with the LS 100!  That unit will be on tour as soon as we can spare one.

I am extremely grateful to all those who have partaken in the tour.  This WILL be a regular event for all of our new product launches.  I will send out the LS 100 with phono upgrade installed, next!

Thanks and take care!

Dan

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:17 am »
NOW you need to hear the LS 100...

I do Dan....looking forward to that tour. 8)

Good luck at RMAF..... :beer:

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:44 am »
Thanks!

Dan

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2010, 12:10 am »

NOW you need to hear it with the LS 100!  That unit will be on tour as soon as we can spare one. I will send out the LS 100 with phono upgrade installed, next!

Dan

Dan, put my on the LS 100 tour list.

thanks,

Laura

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2010, 05:59 am »
Looks like a Blue Moon Award from 6moons for the KWA 100SE...nice !!  :beer:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright6/kwa100_5.html

(I see Srajan has some new "digs"....cool 8))

mjosef

« Reply #17 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:10 am »
Man, this is a damn gooooood amp, I swear it got even better as the week has rolled by. Smooth as butta'.  :lol:

ltr317

« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:24 am »
Man, this is a damn gooooood amp, I swear it got even better as the week has rolled by. Smooth as butta'.  :lol:

When are you inviting me over?  :lol:  If you read my coverage of this year's RMAF, then you know the Modwright/Daedalus room was one of my favorites.

mjosef

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:31 am »
The amp leaves tomorrow Paul...you missed out, well maybe not, I saw Modwright amps in numerous pics at RMAF.  :thumb: