SqeezeCenter Server not playing nice with MAC

Marco Prozzo

SqeezeCenter Server not playing nice with MAC
« on: 22 Oct 2009, 12:21 am »
Just a heads up; perhaps this is common knowledge, but I just wasted three hours of my afternoon so maybe I can prevent someone else from doing the same.  I just attempted to upgrade to the latest edition of SqueezeServer (7.4.1).  Though the update was successful, the net results were the aforementioned waste of hours of time trying to troubleshoot recurring problems.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:  Songs would stop after a single play and the server would have a problem finding the next one.  Multiple scans of my library were terminated unexpectedly after a few minutes into the iTunes Import stage. 

I happened to mention it in an email to Dan and he responded immediately that Lou Hinkley had a similar problem and ended up going back to 7.3.X and all was back to normal.  I've just done the same and so far, so good....it seems to be playing nice with my server again. Thanks, Dan (& Lou).

Audioclyde

Re: SqeezeCenter Server not playing nice with MAC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:08 am »
I've been using the beta 7.4 version for months with no problems (music files on a Mac mini).  When I downloaded the official 7.4 version and installed, music played fine but I would get a burst of white noise between tracks.

I ended up doing a complete clean and rescan of my entire library (actually had to do this twice) and since then the official 7.4 has worked fine for me (knock on wood).  But I only have about 160 gig in my music library right now; I can imagine that for a larger library the complete rescan possible fix isn't too attractive.

Best of luck,

Randy

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:23 am »
I've been using the beta 7.4 version for months with no problems (music files on a Mac mini).  When I downloaded the official 7.4 version and installed, music played fine but I would get a burst of white noise between tracks.

I ended up doing a complete clean and rescan of my entire library (actually had to do this twice) and since then the official 7.4 has worked fine for me (knock on wood).  But I only have about 160 gig in my music library right now; I can imagine that for a larger library the complete rescan possible fix isn't too attractive.

Best of luck,

Randy

Thanks, Randy.  My library is almost 400 gigs, and you are right - rescans are not a fun proposition.  I also am using non-Intel (Power PC) Macs and don't know how much that has to do with anything.  Back with 7.3 and everything works just fine. 

Thanks for adding your experience.

Audioclyde

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:58 pm »
Check out Wayne's post over in discless---hopefully this new release solves everyone's problems with 7.4.