Denon 3910 - VERY first impressions of stock unit...

modwright

Denon vs. Sony.
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2004, 03:42 pm »
I am still not done with the Denon, so I still have to give honors to the Sony.  I will have the Denon done in time for CES however.

Thanks,

Dan

alotaklipsch

Re: Denon vs. Sony.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Dec 2004, 05:49 pm »
Quote from: modwright
I am still not done with the Denon, so I still have to give honors to the Sony.  I will have the Denon done in time for CES however.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I have complete faith in you, and it's about time I own one of your masterpeices, I will take the 3910 from the CES :mrgreen:  :lol:  :o

modwright

3910 at CES
« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2004, 04:33 pm »
The 3910 used at CES will actually be auctioned off along with most of the gear that we show with, including  a Sony 999ES with Platinum mods and at least one of our new SWL 9.0SE preamps.  This will all take place at Audiogon.  They are having a special auction for mfrs. showing at CES.

Thanks,

Dan

alotaklipsch

Re: 3910 at CES
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2004, 07:08 am »
The 3910 used at CES will actually be auctioned off along with most of the gear that we show with, including  a Sony 999ES with Platinum mods and at least one of our new SWL 9.0SE preamps.  This will all take place at Audiogon.  They are having a special auction for mfrs. showing at CES.

Thanks,

Dan

Happy Holiday's to you too :lol:

abrahavt

How does it sound?
« Reply #24 on: 5 Jan 2005, 11:26 am »
Dan:
Sounds like the Denon 3910 is ready for prime time. How does it sound with the tube mods compared to the Sony and other players in your stable? Do you have a player with the non tube SS mods yet? Sorry I can't make it to the CES so your impressions and/or observations would be very useful.

NickS

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2005, 07:39 pm »
Hey Dan,

Any update available on the final mods to the Denon 3910?

modwright

Mods
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2005, 12:31 am »
I have finallized SS mods for the Denon 3910 and plan to offer a similar mod for the Sony 999ES also.

The Tube mods are about 99% there.  I found some things at CES that I want to change in the first tube unit and then I will be posting prices and options.

Thanks,

Dan

dnd

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jan 2005, 02:08 am »
Dan,

Do you think the 3910 makes a better "modding" platform than the 5900?  And how do these compare to the Sony...in your opinion?

I am thinking for your absolute truth tube mods and upgrades to the multichannel outputs too.

Thanks,

Dave

modwright

Denon 3910
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2005, 06:01 am »
I really like the 3910 and do prefer it to the 2900.  Relative to the 5900, I prefer the simpler stock analog stage and I believe the DSP is superior.  The 5900 is a fantastic unit and I honestly can't say that the 3910 is better.  I am not modifying the 5900 any longer however, due to the time and complexity involved in the work.

I will have the 3910 details, pricing and availability posted this week I expect.

Thanks,

Dan

alotaklipsch

Re: Denon 3910
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2005, 08:36 pm »
I really like the 3910 and do prefer it to the 2900.  Relative to the 5900, I prefer the simpler stock analog stage and I believe the DSP is superior.  The 5900 is a fantastic unit and I honestly can't say that the 3910 is better.  I am not modifying the 5900 any longer however, due to the time and complexity involved in the work.

I will have the 3910 details, pricing and availability posted this week I expect.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, are you offering multi-channle mod, or at least the center channel?

Please call me when you have the time, I am being patient :cry: which is real hard for me :lol: yaknow :D

modwright

Denon 3910
« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2005, 07:09 am »
First of all, I am STILL waiting on our gear that shipped from Las Vegas on the 10th via Ground Freight.  Apparently it will be here on the 21st., but I have not had a chance to work on it obviously.

RE the center channel mod, I do not plan to offer tube mods for anything but the stereo outs, but I can  upgrade the rest of the MCH analog circuits with SS mods.

Thanks,

Dan

diw

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2005, 05:10 pm »
any details, prices, etc. on the 3910 mod packages?

modwright

Denon 3910
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2005, 10:04 pm »
Hi, sorry, but I JUST got the tube unit back from Vegas on Friday and haven't had a chance to finallize it yet.

I am expecting fully modified tube units, including player to be in the $4k range.  I would expect fully modified units with SS mods to be in the sub $3k range.

Thanks, more details soon - probably next week.

Dan

diw

« Reply #33 on: 23 Jan 2005, 04:25 am »
actually, I am more interested in MC SS mods.

modwright

MC SS mods.
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2005, 07:14 pm »
The SS mod that we have developed for the unit can be adapted to MCH, but could be costly, as we are using high-quality audio transformers as part of the circuit re-design.  We can just upgrade op-amps and improve parts in the signal path for less $, but the transformer design is REALLY exceptional sounding :).

Dan

diw

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2005, 09:23 pm »
Dan:

The folks at RAM also have a transformer based output stage upgrade of the 3910. Without getting into the issue of is one mod better than another, because I think that the modding community is small enough that we can appreciate all the various modder's work; I wonder if you could discuss a little bit how transformer based output stage upgrades work and the advantages of same...

alotaklipsch

Re: MC SS mods.
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2005, 09:35 pm »
The SS mod that we have developed for the unit can be adapted to MCH, but could be costly, as we are using high-quality audio transformers as part of the circuit re-design.  We can just upgrade op-amps and improve parts in the signal path for less $, but the transformer design is REALLY exceptional sounding :).

Dan

Dan, as you get closer on my 3910, please let me know my options.  As you know, I am salivating patiently :cry:  :lol: But I know it will be worth the wait :mrgreen: I really am looking forward to my new BABY 8)

modwright

Options
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jan 2005, 01:16 am »
No problem. It will have the new outboard supply enclosure - looks nicer and is larger, hence roomier for us to work.

I expect to finallize the work this next week, so I will let you know what your options are and how it ends up.  It is already pretty maxed out in terms of options, but I will let you know if anything new comes up.

Thanks,

Dan

alotaklipsch

Re: Options
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2005, 04:24 am »
No problem. It will have the new outboard supply enclosure - looks nicer and is larger, hence roomier for us to work.

I expect to finallize the work this next week, so I will let you know what your options are and how it ends up.  It is already pretty maxed out in terms of options, but I will let you know if anything new comes up.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks

Steve :mrgreen:

abrahavt

Re: Options
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:34 am »
Steve:
Dont forget to post your impressions once you receive the unit. I am also looking into having Dan mod one for me. May go for the SS mods as Dan says he is very happy with its sound.
VT