Preamp, amps, and X-Statiks

electronicsfanatic

Preamp, amps, and X-Statiks
« on: 6 Jan 2021, 04:20 am »
I’m looking to step into hifi on a budget.  I’m currently on my second rendition of my X-Statick cabinets.  If I had the funds I might go to the NX-Oticas.  My next  thing on the radar is the center channel X-Voce, triple OB servo sub, and the 24 strand cables.  Here’s my question and I know if I go 2.1 I won’t need the X-Voce.  I was looking at a Schiit Freya +, dual Schiit Aegirs doing 80 watts monoblock, and a Schiit Gungir DAC.  I know if I went to a dedicated 2 channel setup I wouldn’t use a center channel.  How wouldd I run the sub on that setup? My current Yamaha RX-A1010 and Parasound Halo A-23 might suite my purpose.  I know running the entire setup not on a baffle I was impressed.  So what do y’all think of Schiit or should I spend my $ on a different Hifi set.  The bottom picture doesn’t represent the overlap that is and will be present on the X-Statiks.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Preamp, amps, and X-Statiks
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2021, 06:30 am »
Schiit gear gets better every year so not a bad plan.

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2021, 02:58 pm »
Very nice work.  What is your total electronics budget?

Thanks,
Robert

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2021, 03:55 pm »
Well All I really would be interested in cost wise is $2200 minus a few dollars here and there.  That's just a preamp and amp(s).

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2021, 04:50 pm »
For your budget, Schiit is an excellent choice. Go for it.

The triple OB servo sub will connect via one of the RCA outputs on the Freya. 

RonP

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2021, 04:58 pm »
You may want to check if Danny has anymore of the pre-built X-Voce's in stock. He was running a special on them a while back (12mons+?) but you never know. Matching the finish to what you have in your X-Statics would be an issue, but it might be worth it to you.

just throwing out a potential option for you...

WarmColors

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2021, 01:17 pm »
In regards to the sub setup.
I recommend buying danny's sub kits. If you do, you would use the SE out on the Freya+ to hook up to your sub. Danny also offers a sub with an XLR input. You just need to talk to Danny.
I was on the same boat as you a few months ago. Schiit has great products.
I would also recommend taking a look at the PS Audio stellar strata.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2021, 09:04 pm »
In regards to the sub setup.
I recommend buying danny's sub kits. If you do, you would use the SE out on the Freya+ to hook up to your sub. Danny also offers a sub with an XLR input. You just need to talk to Danny.
I was on the same boat as you a few months ago. Schiit has great products.
I would also recommend taking a look at the PS Audio stellar strata.

+1 on the Strata

https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-strata/

While it's a little over you budget, you can trade in equipment and get full retail price credit up to 30% of the Strata. This puts it squarely in your budget.

HT cOz

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2021, 10:17 pm »
Maybe Denafrips or Kinki Studio

Delta77

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2021, 10:44 pm »
I had a Shiit Gungnir that I liked..
But I really didn't care for the few other Shiit produces I tried. (Sold them fairly quickly after purchase)..
That PS Audio piece looks just about right, You most likely won't be replacing it until you find something Way better..
Just my opinion.. Not a lot of experience with PS Audio..

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2021, 09:34 pm »
The PS as it is way out of my budget for now.  Thanks for everyones input thus far maybe I could pickup a good used Parasound JC-2 or Halo preamp with my A-23.  I know I was blown away with the neutral to warm sound my Halo A-21 had on my modified Polk Rti-A9s.   I will give the Halo a run on these X-Statiks as soon as they are finished and I might be well impressed.  If so them I will do maybe a Parasond preamamp and a good DAC.