Upgrading from my Bluesound Node 2 streamer

Emil

Upgrading from my Bluesound Node 2 streamer
« on: 21 Oct 2020, 01:24 pm »
Ignorance is bliss.
I didn't think streamers ( using external DAC) had any influence on the sound. It was just a passway, a bridge,  between the internet and my dac but the more I read the more I'm finding that to be incorrect. Especially from previous Node owners and responders from my post below

So I'm looking to upgrade from the Node ( stream to external dac). Budget less than 2k
I've read may good review on the Lumin U1 Mini and was about to make the purchase when I can came across
these reviews of the Lumin app. Ouch!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.luminmusic.lumincontroller&hl=en_US&gl=US.

Any Lumin users here? Thoughts?

Other streamer recommendations appreciated

Stercom

Re: Upgrading from my Bluesound Node 2 streamer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2020, 02:00 pm »
Just thought I'd mention that the designer for Cherry amps apparently uses a Bluesound Node2i to stream to one of his DACs. I'm currently on the fence about upgrading from the Node2i to another streamer as well. Anyway, here is the link:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172976.msg1828279;topicseen#new

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2020, 06:15 pm »

In regards to the poor performing app, I was told that it really needs an Apple product to work smoothly.
Androids need not apply

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2020, 07:14 pm »
Perhaps Innuos Zen Mini or Innuos Zen, Auralic also has some nice options.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2020, 07:35 pm »
Why not the RPi 4 with RopieeeXL?

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2020, 07:52 pm »
If you like the BluOS operating system, maybe take a look at sister company NAD for more upscale offerings of streamer / DAC / amp combos.

https://nadelectronics.com/products/sources/

They've received some good reviews, check out YouTube videos.  No direct NAD experience, I own the Node 2i.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2020, 08:58 pm by sunnydaze »

JTF

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2020, 09:37 pm »
I just replied to your other post, I had a Lumin D2 and wasn't impressed. Another option you could try is modding the Node, and see if that does anything for you.

A company called Fidelity Audio makes an external PSU interface card for the Node. Pair it with an Allo Shanti or some other linear PS. It would be a relatively cheap experiment.

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/bluesound-node-2--2i-interface-only-4743-p.asp

They sell it on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluesound-NODE-2-2i-Interface-PCB-only-external-PSU-required/283825028762?hash=item42154a3e9a:g:hsQAAOSwLfZefgJr

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2020, 10:10 pm »
The digital output on the Node 2i to a good quality dac for streaming off the interwebs is a pretty good combo imo. Qobuz sounds consistently better than Tidal over that combination to my ear. You could get an upgrade switching services. Before spending $2k on a different streamer, consider investing in a really good s/pdif cable (digital cables are (imo) the most important cables in your system, and can make more difference than an equipment upgrade) and/or a dac upgrade. 

Are you looking for more warmth, transparency, soundstage, etc?

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2020, 10:14 pm »
Why not the RPi 4 with RopieeeXL?
Cuz I think he said he wants to blow $2k on one :D

Khedspeth

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2020, 10:35 pm »
I use the LUMIN U1 Mini and really enjoy it.  No problem with the app but I only use Qobuz and my own music library.  App runs good but as someone mentioned above...I use Apple products.

mav52

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2020, 12:07 am »
I've got two Lumins, A D1 and a T1. Use a ipad to control the Lumin. No issues accessing Tidal or Qobuz or the files on my NAS. 
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2020, 02:09 am by mav52 »

shadowlight

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2020, 12:56 am »
Emil, I am not sure if Lucas has a solution for you in the price range but I have heard good things about his setup - https://www.lucasaudiolab.com/

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ldms-server.27781/page-6#post-680408 - some feedback.  If you search the whatsbestforum for ldms you will find additional information.  Majority of the feedback is buried in various Lampizator threads.

dmac67

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:46 am »

I second the Innuos streamers.  I purchased a used Zen Mini MKII with a LPS and have never looked back for my digital needs.  I’m streaming Qobuz to an Ayre QB9 DSD Twenty DAC and I’m continually floored that I have digital that sounds this good in my room. 

I don’t post much here (13 yrs and I’m still a Jr member) but the Innuos Zen series are the real deal and inspired my reply tonight.

viggen

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:17 am »
are mega buck streamers better than audio optimized pcs?

MttBsh

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2020, 03:37 pm »
I don't think you need a "megabuck" streamer to beat the sound of an optimized PC. I bought the newly released Channel Islands DMC-1 this summer for less than two grand and it sounds far better than my optimized Mac Mini ever did, it even has a very high quality DAC built in.

viggen

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2020, 05:09 pm »
my audio optimized pc costs about hmm...

$50 cpu
$80 mb
$30 ram
$40 ssd
$120 lpsu
$130 usb card (matrix h)
$80 jplay
$60 case
$15 server 2016 os (ebay special)
$30 cpu cooler
$620 total

I think it sounds great and boots up in 5 seconds.  just wondering whether there is another level or two with 4 $ figure streamers.

jjss49

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2020, 08:52 pm »
The digital output on the Node 2i to a good quality dac for streaming off the interwebs is a pretty good combo imo. Qobuz sounds consistently better than Tidal over that combination to my ear. You could get an upgrade switching services. Before spending $2k on a different streamer, consider investing in a really good s/pdif cable (digital cables are (imo) the most important cables in your system, and can make more difference than an equipment upgrade) and/or a dac upgrade. 

Are you looking for more warmth, transparency, soundstage, etc?

i agree with this

Craig B

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2020, 09:03 pm »
The digital output on the Node 2i to a good quality dac for streaming off the interwebs is a pretty good combo imo. Qobuz sounds consistently better than Tidal over that combination to my ear.

Is that with a DAC that does the final "unfolding" of MQA files? That would seem to me to be the only way to do a fair comparison between the two service's content. I'm not suggesting that your conclusion would be different, just thinking it needs to be an apples to apples comparison if it isn't already.