Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter

rw@cn

Re: Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter
« Reply #40 on: 22 Jun 2012, 11:51 am »
The Wolfson DAC chip used in the Transient does not have a DSD input.

We are working on a higher-end model that will accept DSD through USB, and also have several coaxial & toslink inputs, dual Burr Brown DAC's, 32 bit volume control, selectable digital filters, single-ended & balanced outputs, digital display, and full function remote.
This model will be much more expensive (somewhere around $2000) and won't be available until later this year.

I want one.  :D

ratso

« Reply #41 on: 30 Aug 2012, 02:35 pm »
over the years i have had a few different pieces of CI gear, it seemed to always be my "fallback" in my system. i am looking forward to getting this and having it be a permanent part of my setup this time.  :thumb:

Turnandcough

« Reply #42 on: 7 Sep 2012, 10:49 pm »
Will it work with Squeezebox Touch's USB output(Linux)?
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2012, 12:17 am by CIAudio »

CIAudio

« Reply #43 on: 8 Sep 2012, 12:21 am »
Will it work with Squeezebox Touch's USB output(Linux)?
We haven't done any testing with Linux, but it should be compatible.

dminches

« Reply #44 on: 8 Sep 2012, 01:53 am »
I believe the USB port on the Touch is for input, not output. You can attach a drive containing music to the USB port but it doesn't pass a digital signal out.

CIAudio

« Reply #45 on: 8 Sep 2012, 02:15 am »
I believe the USB port on the Touch is for input, not output. You can attach a drive containing music to the USB port but it doesn't pass a digital signal out.

I believe he is talking about the Touch with firmware mod which converts the USB to an output.

Turnandcough

« Reply #46 on: 8 Sep 2012, 02:19 pm »
Correct.
I'm exploring possibilities that will allow me to improve on the Touch's S/PDIF output without having to go the computer>USB converter>DAC route.

dminches

« Reply #47 on: 8 Sep 2012, 05:03 pm »
You can go computer > ethernet or wireless> Touch> DAC.

wilsynet

« Reply #48 on: 8 Sep 2012, 07:49 pm »
I'm exploring possibilities that will allow me to improve on the Touch's S/PDIF output without having to go the computer>USB converter>DAC route.

Mods by the Bolder Cable Company?

dminches

« Reply #49 on: 8 Sep 2012, 08:22 pm »
That's what I did.

Turnandcough

« Reply #50 on: 8 Sep 2012, 09:45 pm »
I currently have the Bolder digital mods.

I keep hearing that Touch's USB out into a GOOD USB/SPDIF converter then to DAC is superior to Touch's S/PDIF output directly to the DAC.

I'd be curious to hear if the MKII is better when being used as a USB converter/DAC or just a DAC.

CIAudio

« Reply #51 on: 8 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm »
I keep hearing that Touch's USB out into a GOOD USB/SPDIF converter then to DAC is superior to Touch's S/PDIF output directly to the DAC.

I'd be curious to hear if the MKII is better when being used as a USB converter/DAC or just a DAC.

This is true...
When using the USB Converter, you are simply getting data from the USB.
There is no S/PDIF encoding/decoding, which means the clocks/data etc. don't have to be extracted by an input receiver.
Instead, the incoming data is clocked by precision oscillators right at the input of the DAC chip, ensuring the lowest jitter possible.

snoogly

« Reply #52 on: 9 Sep 2012, 12:42 am »
Will it also work with the discontinued VDC SB power supply?

CIAudio

« Reply #53 on: 9 Sep 2012, 01:26 am »
Will it also work with the discontinued VDC SB power supply?

Yes it will. External power requirement is regulated 5V DC/500mA minimum, center pin positive.

Turnandcough

« Reply #54 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:20 am »
I already own a VDC SB which makes it even more interesting but I still need to know if it's definitely Linux compatible.

CIAudio

« Reply #55 on: 9 Sep 2012, 05:11 am »
I already own a VDC SB which makes it even more interesting but I still need to know if it's definitely Linux compatible.

PM sent

DaveBSC

« Reply #56 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm »
A few questions: when powered with an external supply, can the Transient be used with a USB cable that has the powerline cut, or is there still a "handshake" required that needs the Vbus line to be present?

Second, is the S/Pdif output isolated?

CIAudio

« Reply #57 on: 13 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm »
A few questions: when powered with an external supply, can the Transient be used with a USB cable that has the powerline cut, or is there still a "handshake" required that needs the Vbus line to be present?

Second, is the S/Pdif output isolated?

You can disconnect the +5V, but need to have the data lines and ground connected.

Yes, the S/Pdif output is isolated.

DaveBSC

« Reply #58 on: 14 Sep 2012, 07:02 am »
Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear. I'm planning to try the Transient with an Auraliti PK90USB, and that means I can switch off the 5V USB supply. It also means that the Empirical Short Block common ground choke should work as well.

snoogly

« Reply #59 on: 16 Sep 2012, 04:23 am »
It's working well with a Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Triode's EDO app. :-)

I am no expert, and wouldn't even attempt to write a proper review, but my first impression is that the Transient/VDC5 lifts a veil off the music, compared to a Boulder-modded Squeezebox Classic/ciaudio VDA2 DAC. (both into ciaudio PLC1/DC100)

I am happy to be rediscovering my music again (a cliche I know..), and will wait until another day to start tweaking the EDO settings.

At some point I will do a direct comparison of the VDA2 and Transient DACs, but not today!