My experience with three Rega products.

Guy 13

Re: My experience with three Rega products.
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2014, 04:02 am »
Haven't found a huge sound quality difference with optical cables - and had one of the very best (wireworld nova), so don't suggest you spend much there. Probably better to get a decent entry level RCA digital cable anyway.

For the TT hum / fm tuning issue would suggest a shorter (1m) well shielded interconnect between TT and bellari and to have someone check the internal connections to the rca's particularly on the Rega TT. I had the fm tuning issue until I went for 2M to 1M interconnects. Also had a nasty hum and turns out the RCA connector on the TT was loose. Rega doesn't believe in spending a lot on the RCA connectors. This was the only thing I ever had fail on my Rega CD players.

I've been demoing at home the VPI scout 1.1 and it's very good - the kind of table you could be happy with for the rest of your life.

Hi jarcher.
Thanks for the advice on the optical cable.
My audio Vietnamese friend that bought the 1,000 USD DAC,
said he paid 100 USD for his Optical cable.
I don't know if I could get decent sound quality
with a 25 USD Optical cable.
Now for my Bellari hum/tuner problem,
I guess you did not follow my thread about all my
experimenting to solve that pesky problem.
I've tried my Signal Cable 50cm shielded OFC and Silver cable
without any improvement.
The the interconnect from the Rega tt are built in, not interchangeable.
They are shielded and only 50cm long.
If my wife ever win at the lottery and she's got great chance with the amount she spend every day buying several dozens of tickets, I will buy for sure a VPI TT.
As for being happy for the rest of my life, that must happen quick, because I don't have much time left with 66 years on my life meter.
Well, maybe less than 30 more years, knock-off 5 to 10 years, because I will probably be half deaf and blind.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Guy 13

brooklyn

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:12 am »
Hi Guy 13, I have a VPI Scout that I’ve been using for a few years now and really like it, not to mention it’s built like a tank.

While I’ve have no formal experience with Rega turntables, I would see them in audio salons years ago and think, this seems like a cheaply made turntable, for that reason along I never thought about buying one.

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2014, 05:58 am »
Hi Guy 13, I have a VPI Scout that I’ve been using for a few years now and really like it, not to mention it’s built like a tank.

While I’ve have no formal experience with Rega turntables, I would see them in audio salons years ago and think, this seems like a cheaply made turntable, for that reason along I never thought about buying one.

Hi brooklyn.
I'm glad to read a testimony (Not sure if that's the right word)
of an actual owner of a product I want or dream of,
even if I will never be able to afford it.
Yes, the Rega (P3) look light, sure don't look like it's built like a thank,
if it is, it's a GI Joe tank.  :lol:
I bought my Rega P3 from the local (Vietnam) authorized dealer
and he did not have it in stock, it had to be ordered,
therefore, I never actually seen it, touch it, tried it, that's bad.
Of course one thing that does not help,
it's because my previous turntable was a Linn LP12
pretty robust turntable, maybe not as heavy duty as the VPI Scout,
but still pretty rugged.
Anyway, I will live with what I have
and since vinyl listening is not my main source
or my priority, I will suffer in silence. :lol:
Thanks for your comments, they are encouraging
(It confirm that VPI Scout is a good turntable)
and discouraging
(Because I might never be able to own my dream turntable.)
Well, that's life.
In life you cannot always own everything you dream of.
Plus, I know lots of people that own a lot less than me,
therefore, I am not as bad lucky as my name implies.

Guy 13
13 like in Friday 13...

bacobits1

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:05 pm »
Guy, I have to agree with you.
I have had 3 Rega Tables. Two P3's and the last was a P5 totally blown out with $1k in upgrades purchased over  2 years.
That being all the Groovtracer stuff, both platters Acrylic and Delrin. Double pulley, double White Belts, upgraded feet you can level and other things. With Power Supply and all this the table still ran fast.

If you buy Rega you are buying into Gandy's philosophy. They do sound pretty good out of box.
The new tables have had numerous QC issues mainly wobbly platters that Rega says are "reasonable". Read the Vinyl Engine Rega board. I know someone who has gone through 3 new P3's with platter problems and they finally gave him a P6 for a free upgrade. There have been problems with the P6 too.
At any cost a platter should not wobble, PERIOD! The Tonearm wiring is still junk too. I re-wired all the tonearms with Incognito.

My opinion these new tables are getting way overpriced for what they are.
Buy used but check it out well or with the understanding you would be able to return it.

I will not buy Rega again even a used one.
My simple table I'm using now addresses every single issue in build the Rega has.

The disclaimer, my opinion only and not to offend anyone.   

Nick77

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:30 pm »
       My simple table I'm using now addresses every single issue in build the Rega has.                                           

What simple table might that be?  :scratch:

bacobits1

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:35 pm »
Silly, it's in my "systems" listing. :eyebrows:

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:52 pm »
Guy, I have to agree with you.
I have had 3 Rega Tables. Two P3's and the last was a P5 totally blown out with $1k in upgrades purchased over  2 years.
That being all the Groovtracer stuff, both platters Acrylic and Delrin. Double pulley, double White Belts, upgraded feet you can level and other things. With Power Supply and all this the table still ran fast.

If you buy Rega you are buying into Gandy's philosophy. They do sound pretty good out of box.
The new tables have had numerous QC issues mainly wobbly platters that Rega says are "reasonable". Read the Vinyl Engine Rega board. I know someone who has gone through 3 new P3's with platter problems and they finally gave him a P6 for a free upgrade. There have been problems with the P6 too.
At any cost a platter should not wobble, PERIOD! The Tonearm wiring is still junk too. I re-wired all the tonearms with Incognito.

My opinion these new tables are getting way overpriced for what they are.
Buy used but check it out well or with the understanding you would be able to return it.

I will not buy Rega again even a used one.

The disclaimer, my opinion only and not to offend anyone.

Hi bacobits1.
They say if you are satisfied with your first purchase brand,
there are great chances that you will stay with that brand for your next purchases.
Well, I am not satisfied with my first Rega purchases. (P3 and Apollo)
therefore I will not stay loyal to the Rega brand.
As a matter of fact: Rega is now on my black list.
You don't have to agree with me or even consider my opinion as a reference.
That's just me and taste and opinion varies from one to the other.

Guy 13

bacobits1

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2014, 01:58 pm »
Yes, and I'm on the hunt always for  a good deal that is why I have had 3 Rega's and lots of other tables too.
Some folks raving about the RP6 on the Asylum board. :o

geowak

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:45 pm »
Guy13,
It is a shame that you are having such problems with the Rega TT. It reminds me of a brand that I use to own and bought three different products from. I had problems with ALL THREE. I will not mention the name. The owner was always too busy to address my problems and always downplayed my concerns, trying to assign it to noisy AC!  After many, many months I sold the gear back to him at a fraction of the cost. Even though he has a good following, I think his stuff his junk and would never buy his stuff again.

So I guess I feel your pain. One can never buy into the hype of a product and I think a product should be tried for a long while to see if it indeed is a good audio piece, and most importantly how does the company treat you if the audio has problems. Many audio companies just want to make the bigger sales, they do not want to fix a piece of junk they made/designed.

I think AC should be a place where one can RAVE about a brand ABC, or they can honestly assess a lack of quality or follow up from a brand as well. Even if that brand has sponsorship or presence on AC. This is a forum to share info HONESTLY.

Guy 13

« Reply #29 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:50 pm »
Guy13,
It is a shame that you are having such problems with the Rega TT. It reminds me of a brand that I use to own and bought three different products from. I had problems with ALL THREE. I will not mention the name. The owner was always too busy to address my problems and always downplayed my concerns, trying to assign it to noisy AC!  After many, many months I sold the gear back to him at a fraction of the cost. Even though he has a good following, I think his stuff his junk and would never buy his stuff again.

So I guess I feel your pain. One can never buy into the hype of a product and I think a product should be tried for a long while to see if it indeed is a good audio piece, and most importantly how does the company treat you if the audio has problems. Many audio companies just want to make the bigger sales, they do not want to fix a piece of junk they made/designed.

I think AC should be a place where one can RAVE about a brand ABC, or they can honestly assess a lack of quality or follow up from a brand as well. Even if that brand has sponsorship or presence on AC. This is a forum to share info HONESTLY.

Hi geowak.
Thanks for your comments.
I agree with you 200%.

Guy 13

geowak

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jul 2014, 02:59 pm »
Yeah I think we are in sync here. Good luck with the TT. Or just do some solid research and get a good TT. Many great used ones out there.

BTW
hype 1 |hīp| informal

noun
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion : she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music.
• a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.

verb [ trans. ]
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits : an industry quick to hype its products.

ORIGIN 1920s (originally in the sense [shortchange, cheat,] or [person who cheats, etc.] ): of unknown origin.

PRELUDE

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jul 2014, 09:30 pm »
Hi Guy 13,
I  have never owned any Rega products so I have nothing to say or know about it. But I just thought you might be interested in this:
http://www.temaadaudio.net/turntables.html

Guy 13

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2014, 01:34 am »
Hi Guy 13,
I  have never owned any Rega products so I have nothing to say or know about it. But I just thought you might be interested in this:
http://www.temaadaudio.net/turntables.html

Hi PRELUDE.
Thanks for the link.
May I say that I am not looking for up-grades.
Other than the hum and interference with my Rega RB301 tone arm
and the fact that my Rega P3 is flimsy and overpriced, it's still a keeper,
because, it's paid for and it does the job (Spinning vinyl)
or it will do the job better,
when I will have installed my PDR linear arm with the proper phono amplifier.
The PDR arm I got free and the phono stage will be less than 150 USD.
Thanks anyway for the link.

Guy 13

brooklyn

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2014, 05:03 am »
I can never understand the upgrade path on any piece of audio equipment.

Example: If I want to spend 1K on a turntable and then add say, $600 worth of upgrades, even over time, why not just spend the $1600 and get a better table to begin with?

Also: how long has Rega been making turntables, a wobble in the platter should be nonexistent.. If that happened to me with any company that specializes in
a turntable in this case, I would be screaming from the rooftops.

Guy 13

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jul 2014, 09:43 am »
I can never understand the upgrade path on any piece of audio equipment.

Example: If I want to spend 1K on a turntable and then add say, $600 worth of upgrades, even over time, why not just spend the $1600 and get a better table to begin with?

Also: how long has Rega been making turntables, a wobble in the platter should be nonexistent.. If that happened to me with any company that specializes in
a turntable in this case, I would be screaming from the rooftops.

Hi brooklyn.
I agree 100% with your comments.
To me, if a product is upgradable, it means that it's inferior or
not ready to be marketed,
since you can make it better with upgrade kits.
Kits supplied by independent companies or worst,
supplied by the manufacturer himself.
I am not talking about kits, like speaker kit where you can upgrade
the crossover with better capacitor
and/or much more expensive capacitors to improve the sound,
that's different.
I understand that there are many, many up-grades available and if,
let say, the turntable would have one model for each upgrade,
the list of models would have to be written/listed on a roll of toilet paper...
:lol:
By now Rega the turntable manufacturer, after so many years of designing
and manufacturing turntables, should not have any issues with their products.
One other thing, if manufacturers would slowdown in their better, improved, marketing tricks, they would not have to redesigned their products all the time.
Maybe they could have a model that is bug free.
But today, it's the customer that fall into the marketing of
NEW, BETTER, IMPROVED, etc...
It's like car manufacturers, why is there so many recalls,
because they keep changing (Improving) their products,
but they do it so often, that they don't have time to test
and see if their products new design is reliable.
Make a good design when you introduce a product
and you won't have to improve it many time after.
The manufacturers wants to launch a products as soon as possible
to get return on their investment and research cost,
but the products full of bugs are on the back on the consumer
that have to pay for the manufacturers too quick to get money for their investment.
I represent here in Vietnam two manufacturers (Manfrotto - Italy and Bowens International - UK) and they keep changing (Improving) their products, result, they don't have enough time to check the reliability of their products and many times they make it more complicated (To repair) and we cannot keep up with all the changes. What was wrong with their previous models? Yes, I know, customer push them to always have a novelty a new model a more fashionable model, bla, bla, bla...
It's like they say, never buy a new car model when it come out for the first time and it's been completely revamped or redesigned.
It's full of bugs.
Don't say a products is no good, say what's wrong with it
and say it loud, so the manufacturer will do something quick about it.
WOW ! That's my opinion.

Guy 13