Looking for a road/trail/commute bike

chip

Looking for a road/trail/commute bike
« on: 9 Jul 2013, 05:20 pm »
So I use my Old GT bike right now with road tires for biking. I did a test run on commuting to work so I am thinking of doing that a few days a week. 7.5 miles each way. I am thinking it may be time to retire my old GT MT Bike.

I know test riding is the # 1 thing to do so I am going to start to do that. Anything particular I should be looking in a bike?

Here are some Bikes I am looking into.

GT Tachyon series
Cannondale Quick 4 Bike
Cannondale Bad Boy 9
Cannondale Quick cx4
Cannondale SL 3
Specialized Sirrus Elite

I will also be looking on CL for used ones after I test ride some bikes.

What type of components are decent, etc?

LadyDog

Re: Looking for a road/trail/commute bike
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2013, 12:20 pm »
Look for the one that fits the best.  The two most important aspects are the top tube length and head tube length, imo. 

All of the below are nice bikes, and will have more than adequate components.  The SL3 probably has the nicest specs, which is why it probably costs the most too.  Again, all will be more than sufficient. 

While I am a big fan of disc brakes, it may be overkill for the intended use.  Unless your plan to ride to work in less than ideal conditions or during the winter months.

Sure it goes without saying, but make sure the bike has eyelets if you plan to use or need a rack. 

Personally, I'd lean toward the models which have carbon fork legs.  Without trying to stereotype, it should take a little bite out of the road and give a tad more comfortable ride. 

Let us know what you end up with.

goskers

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2013, 01:56 pm »
I went through a similar search a few months ago.  I don't commute but was looking for a general all around that would be a great swiss army knife.  After a great deal of searching and riding I settled on a steel frame crossbike.  Specifically I went with a All City Macho Man.  The steel frame does just enough to make rides very comfortable.  Wide enough tires that has allowed me to single track a little without peril. 

Great frames from Surly and All City.  The only thing I wish it had at this point is disc brakes.  At times I miss the absolute power that they offer.

chip

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2013, 02:23 pm »
Look for the one that fits the best.  The two most important aspects are the top tube length and head tube length, imo. 

All of the below are nice bikes, and will have more than adequate components.  The SL3 probably has the nicest specs, which is why it probably costs the most too.  Again, all will be more than sufficient. 

While I am a big fan of disc brakes, it may be overkill for the intended use.  Unless your plan to ride to work in less than ideal conditions or during the winter months.

Sure it goes without saying, but make sure the bike has eyelets if you plan to use or need a rack. 

Personally, I'd lean toward the models which have carbon fork legs.  Without trying to stereotype, it should take a little bite out of the road and give a tad more comfortable ride. 

Let us know what you end up with.

Disc brakes are a bonus and not needed.

Good idea on the eyelets.

After some more reading the Carbon Fork seems to add comfort to the ride like you mentioned.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2013, 03:25 pm »
See below- double post

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2013, 03:30 pm »

I have an Older Cannondale, and I like the aluminum frames. The Cannondale Quick bikes are good. I also test rode a Felt Nine 60 that was mentioned on AC (Bicycling on the road) and it was very good. Other than that I like Klein bikes, but they are mostly road bikes.

I agree with the comment about proper fit and sizing. Plus, get the correct bike for what you will be riding on. Front shocks on a road bike, unless they lock, can make the rider work far too much. Riding a road bike on trails might not work either, on long rides....

chip

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2013, 04:46 pm »
Yesterday I stopped by one of the local bike shops. I was hoping to test ride the Quick 4 but they didn't stock it. I was able to test the Cannondale CX4 and the Trek FX7.4. Out of those two I like the Trek better. I am calling a few other shops to hopefully find the quick 4 so I can test ride it. Then the shop close to the house has the Specialized Sirrus Elite which I will test ride as well.

wavesailer

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2013, 05:06 pm »
I am not familiar with the Specialized but you should try the Cannondale Quick 4. It has the carbon fork which will give you a little more comfort on rough roads. It is also fairly light in its price range. I agree with the other posters in that size & fit are very important.

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2013, 05:29 pm »
I've had a Trek 7.6FX for about a year and really like it for knocking around. Decent parts, light, and fast enough, though definitely not for off road with the stock tires. My daughter uses a Sirrus Elite as a daily commuter at school and is very happy with it as well. Both are solid bikes, it just depends on fit and feel.

dynaflo

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2013, 08:39 pm »
Surly Crosscheck.  Commute geared, single speed, fixed, race cyclocross.  Run skinny or fat tires.  Surly really makes well thought out versatile bikes.

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2013, 12:46 am »
Curious why head tube length is a big deal...seems like you could always get around that with spacers.  I get the TT length.

embz

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:19 am »
Take a look at the Specialized Crosstrail Disc Sport.  It comes with front suspension and has hydrolic disc brakes which have much more feel than regular disc breaks (and better stopping power).  The Crosstrail Comp Disc comes with SRAM components and a 2x10 drive train, but it's quite a bit more money.

The crosstrail is heavy, but most bikes in the hybrid space will be.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it has a 29" wheel base, not sure if the other bikes mentioned to or not
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2013, 02:28 pm by embz »

pslate

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2013, 11:41 pm »
Just bought a Raleigh Furley cyclocross for my 8 mile (one way) commute in Chicago. CX bike may be just the ticket. I picked up the Raleigh because it was carried in my local store, really more of a repair shop with some incredible human beings (uptown bikes for those on the north side). The Surly Crosscheck could be fun too. Nice thing about the furled is drop handlebars, disc brakes, and ready for whatever gearing you want. Chicago is a kick but single speed town though!!! Bikes Direct is kind of the dark side, some deals, but look at the details of EVERYTHING.

LadyDog

« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:18 am »
Josh, possibly more important for road bikes vs. mountain or sportive bikes, but the head tube lenght helps define the saddle to bar height.  Too much drop can make for an uncomfortable.experience.  Could also play a part for someone who may be looking for a level saddle to bar height.

jules

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2013, 03:21 am »
chip, do you think you'll be limiting your riding to commuting or could this be a first step on a journey?

If, for example, you get keen on road riding as recreation or perhaps take to riding with others, you could find yourself looking at a very different bike to the ones we're talking about.

Bike running gear is pretty reliable and so long as it's given reasonable maintenance it'll last forever on low mileages, so there's probably not a huge amount of difference in bikes of this class.

A second hand bike can be a good option while you're deciding your ultimate needs. I say this partly because 2nd hand bikes are cheap and it can be a good way to get a considerably lighter bike in the class you're looking at. Weight does matter  :) not just for the amount of effort you need to put in but also because a lighter bike usually feels more responsive and well, more fun.

pslate

« Reply #15 on: 2 Aug 2013, 11:30 am »
In addition to Surly

Jamis, good stuff http://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applications/JamisBikes/MyJamis/consumer/bike.html?year=2013&model=Coda%20Elite&cat_grp=strt_2
also KHS http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2013-khs-models/urban-xtreme/

Two brands that have nice versatile steel bikes at very good values. If you end up looking at more road tourer than trail the Jamis Bossanova or Aurora are pretty sweet rides too.

the flatbar version of my bike is the Raleigh Tripper. I say disc brakes all the way. If greater power of modulation helps you avoid one accident or makes you feel more comfortable, it's hard to put a price on safety.

chip

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2013, 01:40 pm »
chip, do you think you'll be limiting your riding to commuting or could this be a first step on a journey?

If, for example, you get keen on road riding as recreation or perhaps take to riding with others, you could find yourself looking at a very different bike to the ones we're talking about.

Bike running gear is pretty reliable and so long as it's given reasonable maintenance it'll last forever on low mileages, so there's probably not a huge amount of difference in bikes of this class.

A second hand bike can be a good option while you're deciding your ultimate needs. I say this partly because 2nd hand bikes are cheap and it can be a good way to get a considerably lighter bike in the class you're looking at. Weight does matter  :) not just for the amount of effort you need to put in but also because a lighter bike usually feels more responsive and well, more fun.

Right now I am still just biking on the road. I am using my old GT Full suspension MT bike -1996 GT LTS 3 with road tires.

hakka26

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2013, 09:57 pm »
I have a Bridgestone XO-2. Gets me around town quite well and is good on the occasional trail, admittedly no demanding trail work though.

chip

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:19 am »
So I have gotten back to testing some bikes.

Cannondale 2014 Bad Boy 9 - $699
Cannondale 2013 Quick SL 2  - $825
Trek FX 7.4 - $799
Specialized Sirrus Elite 2013 - $745

I still would like  to test out the Cannondale quick 4 2013/2014 as well but haven't found one in stock.

The two I like the most right now are the Quick SL2 and the Sirrus Elite. So once you narrow it down to two bikes how do you decide?

Decisions.....

RDavidson

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:37 am »
I bought a Trek Superfly 100 AL last summer after trying a BUNCH of bikes. I ended up getting it because hybrids, to me, just don't do anything all that well. They're seemingly built for everyone and everything, which is tough to do. They aren't great on trails, nor great for road riding. Not bashing hybrids, as many are good general purpose bikes and will be fine for a lot of people. While the Superfly is definitely built for trails, one could easily buy a second set of wheels outfitted with tires that are more road riding friendly (as found on many hybrids). Surprisingly, the Superfly does quite well on roads as-is but definitely isn't fast due to the fat, grippy, tires. I didn't think I "needed" a full suspension bike, but after riding it (versus various hard tails) the full suspension just felt better and the geometry fit me better also. So, at the end of the day I have a bike that is great for trails (outfitted with better stock components than pretty much all hybrids I've seen) and fine for casual road riding. Hope this helps. :thumb: