New Music Server, Squeezebox Touch Died

skalos

New Music Server, Squeezebox Touch Died
« on: 17 Feb 2021, 09:11 pm »
I have enjoyed my Logitech Squeezebox Touch and Schiit Bifrost combination for my music server for 10 years. However, the Touch gave up and I must move on. I don't want to use a computer to run LMS or other server software.  What recommendations do you have as stand alone server/streamer that I can serve my usb ssd hard-drive, NAS, and Qobuz or equivalent. And, should I use the internal DAC or stick with the Bifrost.  I wish to stay under $1k.

Should I consider Bluesound Node 2i?

Others?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

mrhyfy

Re: New Music Server, Squeezebox Touch Died
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2021, 09:44 pm »
I think it's hard to beat the Cambridge Audio CXN 2. (might be hard to squeak in your $1000 budget) I owned the CXN 1 and had no complaints. Very good sound quality with built in dac . I  hung a 1TB drive on and it played flac , wave and DSD.  Built in volume control you feed it directly into a power amp or powered speakers. Decent app for android.

I owned a Bluesound device NAD M32, worked great, very stable but was limited to 24/192. Very good app for android.
Some people claim the built in dac of the bluesound node 2i isn't the best. YMMV.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2021, 10:22 pm »
The Sonore ultraRendu is under $1000 with a linear power supply. It's very versatile and will even work as a Squeezbox Server.

Since you already have a DAC that you like, you would be spending the money on a much better quality streaming device that would also allow you to use the Squeezebox interface you're accustomed to.

https://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2021, 01:45 am »
Condolences on the demise of your SB Touch.  I had one of those and still hold it in high regard.  Some years ago I upgraded to its big brother; the Logitech Transporter. 

There are newer and allegedly better streamers out these days, but the Transporter sounds fantastic and it's the only streamer I know of that can also serve as a digital preamp; which is why I will never get rid of it. 

I stream music from Tidal thru the Transporter's volume-controlled digital out, into a digital crossover.  The Transporter replaced the analog preamp in my system, which is now all-digital. 

BTW; my Transporter may give up the ghost someday so I would love to know if anyone knows of another streamer that can volume control it's digital out (can be a preamp).  On every other streamer I've seen; the digital out is merely a pass-thru.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2021, 02:18 am »
@ Skalos:   I went from a SB Touch to a Node 2i and I'm very happy with the improvement.   Sooooo much better in all ways, namely SQ and interface and access to all the streaming options and free internet radio stations.

The on board DAC isn't bad at all, but I get a nice improvement running it into a Border Patrol DAC.

If you don't wanna spend big bux, I don't think you can go wrong.

@ Jazzman:  the Node 2i offers the functionality you seek.  At least on the stuff I've played through it:  Radio Paradise, Amazon Music, and internet radio stations.  Haven't tried any pay streaming services yet.

skifasterslc

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2021, 04:33 pm »
So I finally jumped into streaming music with the node 2i a couple of months ago and I could not be happier.  I run the node into SMSL M500 Dac , I did not even try it with the internal dac.  I am mainly using Qobuz and radio paradise and the moment.  My goal was to meet or exceed SQ of my venerable Toshiba SD9200 as transport coax out to dac. The node 2i and separate dac defiantly beats the old combo. I have not tried Tidal yet or any other streaming service . Easy set up and no tech issues.
By the way, I am also very happy with the performance of the SMSL dac, it replaced a 5 year old Emotiva DC-1 which was getting long in the tooth.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-dac-and-hp-amp-review.9606/

Cheers

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2021, 04:51 pm »
@ Skalos:   I went from a SB Touch to a Node 2i and I'm very happy with the improvement.   Sooooo much better in all ways, namely SQ and interface and access to all the streaming options and free internet radio stations.

The on board DAC isn't bad at all, but I get a nice improvement running it into a Border Patrol DAC.

@ Jazzman:  the Node 2i offers the functionality you seek.  At least on the stuff I've played through it:  Radio Paradise, Amazon Music, and internet radio stations.  Haven't tried any pay streaming services yet.

Have you actually verified it's a preamp?  That is; could you use it to replace the analog preamp in your system, using it's digital output? 

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2021, 05:36 pm »

Have you actually verified it's a preamp?  That is; could you use it to replace the analog preamp in your system, using it's digital output?

Haven't done that.  The BluOS app on my phone allows volume changes, that's what I referred to.  I have not taken the preamp out of my system.   But the app does control volume using both the BS analog and digital outputs.  I have used it both ways...that is, using its internal DAC and an external DAC connected via coax.   So you should be able to eliminate linestage and still control volume.   Just gotta make sure you start at a low volume setting.

As far as SQ used this way......... :dunno:

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2021, 12:26 am »
And if I read this correctly, it appears that this fella is running his Node 2i digital output without a line stage.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175052.msg1846344;topicseen#new

skalos

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2021, 09:25 pm »
Hi all,

Thank you all for your great input.  If there are other recommendations please add to this thread.

I will post what I decide to purchase when I install it in my system.

Best,

Steven

barbon

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2021, 04:44 pm »
Have you thought of using a Raspberry Pi SBC with an I2S to SPIF or a DAC hat, with a power supply, a solid state disk to store music and free software such as Rune, Moode or Volumio, you could have a music server capable of supplying a bit pure musical signal to a DAC of your choice, or outputting top quality analogue audio to a preamp, all for between 100 and 350 GBP depending on the quality of output. Check out Allo, who produce the best DACs etc. for the Pi.
I went from a Squeezebox system to running squeeze software on the Raspberry Pi, to using music serving software, currently Rune. Runs through a TVC pre to valve monos and crossoverless single driver horns, with a sub, so a pretty revealing system. Access it from a mobile, tablet or computer by wifi as with the Squeezebox.
This is by far the most economical approach, and the sound quality matches anything under a grand, and most over that too (not that I'm that familiar with esoteric hi end digital stuff).
If you're unfamiliar with the hardware/software, Google it.

sunnydaze

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2021, 07:15 pm »
Darko over on YouTube does a great job in general, and on these products specifically.  This will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUjj2mZ4o0&t=1051s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RlYLYegoA

Towards the end of the first link, he compares it to Node 2i.  Search his channel for more good stuff.

skalos

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2021, 09:04 pm »
Thank you all for your input.

I chose the Bluesound Node 2i and installed it about a week ago.

The results are:

1. It sounds pretty darn good out of the box. An upgrade compared to my Touch.
2. I can and do use digital outs to my Schiit Bifrost DAC which is better than 2i or Touch DAC.
3. It was very easy to which does not rely on an external computer to run the software (my wife likes this).
4. The interface works pretty well.
5. Easy setup with attached USB SSD hard drive with my flac music on it.
6. Easy setup with streaming services.

I'm happy with it.  Thanks again.

Steven

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2021, 10:45 pm »
That's good news, I thought you would be.     :thumb:

It's a great lil machine for the $$, especially after you add a nice external DAC.

DZetye

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2021, 10:58 pm »
And Tune-In IMO is the best streaming radio service for variety

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2021, 11:12 pm »
Several years ago now I went from my beloved SBT with a good pre-amp and matching DAC to a Node 2 and the same pre-amp and then I saw the soon to be released NAD 658 streamer (bought it) and with Tidal and loved it!
I like the idea of less in my stream, Fiber optic to my NAD658, out to my sub and main amp and that’s it, love it!
And I am just ending my 30-day free trial with Qobuz and there is no turning back to Tidal, the sound quality difference is incredible!

skalos

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2021, 04:40 am »
Qobuz is my next step. 

I have been using Amazon HD Music for a while but it will be hard to get rid of because my wife has already setup many playlists on the Node that include our own flac files and Amazon Music streams.  She will "kill" me when we cancel Amazon and she has to create all new playlists.

Ugg

nature boy

« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2021, 01:39 pm »
Soundiiz app can transfer playlists with ease.

HK

ketchup

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2021, 04:31 pm »

I went from a Squeezebox Touch to a Node 2 and also added a Border Patrol DAC.  Everything is better in every way now.  Now I have a mint Squeezebox Touch with the box and all of the accessories that I don't know what to do with.  Is there anything I can do with this thing or should I just sell it?