Ad Blocker or Not?

WGH

Re: Ad Blocker or Not?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Dec 2023, 01:42 am »
It's funny, I started in computers with a 486DX2 PC running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.  :o  Back then software crashes were fairly common and the best and fastest recovery method was to sit there and format the C: drive, reload everything (in a very specific order) and move on.  In those early days I could do that in about four or five hours.

Can't do that now.  So I really need to learn how to make images or ghosts of my setups and keep a backup of that backup.  ;)

Same here, home built computer with a 486 and Windows 3.11. Format then load, load, load for a day. Before that it was a Kaypro2 then a generic 286 running DOS. I loved DOS and was sorry to see it disappear, it was so fast and never crashed.

Seems like you have a handle on what needs to be done. I've been running Windows 11 since July 2021 without as so much as a hiccup or burp, it is 100% solid.

Image files are a lifesaver, I have only had to use them twice. My music server SSD crashed without warning and I was back up running an hour after a new Samsung SSD arrived from Amazon.

JakeJ

« Reply #41 on: 30 Dec 2023, 02:31 am »
Seems like you have a handle on what needs to be done. I've been running Windows 11 since July 2021 without as so much as a hiccup or burp, it is 100% solid.

That's been my experience so far.  The Dell that died really didn't die but had what seemed like hardware issues.  I'll revisit it to see what can be done.
Image files are a lifesaver, I have only had to use them twice. My music server SSD crashed without warning and I was back up running an hour after a new Samsung SSD arrived from Amazon.

Good for you, sir!  Backups are my new digital domain goal.

JCarney

« Reply #42 on: 26 Jan 2024, 01:48 pm »
I wanted to thank DonS for starting this thread and thank those who replied. I'm not very good with puters, and I wanted an ad blocker but had no idea what to look for. This thread pointed me in the right direction, and now I have what I want, and I'm tickled about it.

Thanks,
JCarney

Thiagoros

« Reply #43 on: 1 Feb 2024, 05:39 am »
This past week the extension Ghostery stopped blocking advs in YT site to force me to buy his premium pay version, I had to remove Ghostery and installed the next one available in the FF list that was AdBlockerUltimate, no prob so far.

Experienced issues with Ghostery on YT ads, pushing for the premium version. Switched to AdBlockerUltimate hassle-free. Smooth sailing now. Grateful for reliable ad-blocking without the upsell pressure.Fm Whatsapp Download

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #44 on: 2 Feb 2024, 04:07 am »
Experienced issues with Ghostery on YT ads, pushing for the premium version. Switched to AdBlockerUltimate hassle-free. Smooth sailing now. Grateful for reliable ad-blocking without the upsell pressure.Fm Whatsapp Download
Iam using the uBlock Origin extension since that day in 2022, it really works, some YT videos have more than 200 elements blocked in only one video.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #45 on: 2 Feb 2024, 05:20 am »
This is working well for me when Ghostery was being blocked.  Thanks for the tip.