Just playing around

jsalk

Just playing around
« on: 9 May 2016, 01:29 pm »
Due to the phenomenal reaction the PowerPlay Monitors received at AXPONA, we thought we'd play around a bit.

We were just finishing up a version of our SoundScape C8 Center Channel with a beryllium tweeter.  And I had an 8" woofer with fairly high sensitivity that I wanted to test as well.  So I dropped Paul Kittinger an email and asked him to look at a TL cabinet for the woofer. Paul got back to me in short order with numbers that looked interesting.  The resulting F3 was about 33 - 34 Hz.

We built a test cabinet last week and I spent Saturday working up an active crossover for the combination. Here was the result...

Since active powered speakers are new for us, I am not sure what the demand for a speaker such as this would be.  That being the case, I don't know if we'll actually add it to our product line.  But it was a fun way to spend a Saturday.

- Jim

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: Just playing around
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2016, 05:05 pm »
Is what you're hearing demonstrating that a flat speaker response contributes more than digital sampling rate to the sound quality?

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2016, 07:15 pm »
Is what you're hearing demonstrating that a flat speaker response contributes more than digital sampling rate to the sound quality?

As Sean Olive's (Harmon) research has shown, flat frequency response is probably the most important factor in terms of someone judging which speaker they prefer when making blind comparisons between models.  In scores of tests, in the US and Europe, comparing all kinds of speakers, listeners generally preferred the speaker with the flattest response.  And the more trained the listener was, the more apt they were to select the speaker with the flattest response.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 10 May 2016, 12:48 am by jsalk »

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2016, 09:33 pm »
Were you using one of the Hypex AS2.100 modules used for your PowerPlay Monitors for this test?

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 9 May 2016, 09:44 pm »
Were you using one of the Hypex AS2.100 modules used for your PowerPlay Monitors for this test?

Yes.  The tweeter and woofer were fairly high in terms of sensitivity and I thought it would be a good match.

- Jim

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2016, 10:15 pm »
email inquiry sent to you

Yes.  The tweeter and woofer were fairly high in terms of sensitivity and I thought it would be a good match.

- Jim