PS Audio PWD Vs. MSB III or IV...

capwkidd

PS Audio PWD Vs. MSB III or IV...
« on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:50 am »
Has anyone compared the PSW to either the MSB 3 or 4? Thoughts? Opinions? Any reviews comparing them online?

capwkidd

Re: PS Audio PWD Vs. MSB III or IV...
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:36 pm »
....or seen a review online of the two?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:49 pm »
MSB is more of a niche player, but much higher priced than the PS audio PWD DAC...so doubt there are many that compared the two.  although I demo'd/eval'd about 15 DACs over the past 18-24 months, neither of these were inhouse. 

vhiner

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2011, 12:21 am »
Anthony Cordesman will be doing a full review of the Perfect Wave DAC in The Absolute Sound this year. I don't know whether he'll compare it to the MSB but he has made mention of comparing it to the Meridian and and Boulder flagships. I know someone who has had the PW DAC and he prefers the $21K MSB.

capwkidd

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2011, 01:19 pm »
MSB is more of a niche player, but much higher priced than the PS audio PWD DAC...so doubt there are many that compared the two.  although I demo'd/eval'd about 15 DACs over the past 18-24 months, neither of these were inhouse.

Where any of those the PWD or MSB?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:11 pm »
I have both the PWD/Bridge, and the MSB Signature DAC IV.  I've also auditioned (in my system) the Playback Designs MPS-5, Weiss DAC202, and Meitner MA-1.

The MSB is the hands-down winner for me.  It exhibits analog like clarity and tonal balance.  I opted for the passive volume control and removed my preamp.  Simply awesome.  I'll be listing my PWD for sale shortly. . .

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:38 pm »
Where any of those the PWD or MSB?

No, and that is what I meant by "neither of these were inhouse".

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:48 pm »
I have both the PWD/Bridge, and the MSB Signature DAC IV.  I've also auditioned (in my system) the Playback Designs MPS-5, Weiss DAC202, and Meitner MA-1.

The MSB is the hands-down winner for me.  It exhibits analog like clarity and tonal balance.  I opted for the passive volume control and removed my preamp.  Simply awesome.  I'll be listing my PWD for sale shortly. . .

Catastrophe,
Congrats!   That is one great evaluation list.  I have become a fan of direct-to-amp lately, using my Antelope Gold.  Did you try the others on your list in that mode, assuming they had the capability?  What pre does this replace?  Thx

capwkidd

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2011, 05:40 pm »

Did you use the PWD direct to your amps? How much of a difference was there between the PWD and MSB? Any comments on the difference in sound between the MSB with and without the signature upgrade?

Thanks!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2011, 06:14 pm »
Ted:  I ran the DAC202 without a preamp also.  IMHO, while nice, the Weiss is a little "laid back".  The MPS-5 sounded so bad in my system that I could only listen for about 30 minutes.  This unit was limited to 16/48 via USB, so it wasn't a very fair comparison but I didn't like it at all.  The preamp replaced by direct-to-amp is the SAS Audio 11A.  I also have a NAT Audio Symmetrical that is being repaired and I intend to compare that as well.

Cap:  I used the PWD both "D2A" and with preamp.  I didn't care for the direct feed as the attenuation is digital and I felt that I lost resolution.  The difference between the PWD and MSB is significant, both with the MSB Platinum (which I had in my system for demo) and the Signature.  Greater resolution and a more natural presentation with improved soundstaging.  Also, the USB input on the PWD is limited to 96K, and since I gave up on the Bridge, it was a significant limiting factor.

HTH. . .

Bob

capwkidd

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2011, 08:22 pm »
Ted:  I ran the DAC202 without a preamp also.  IMHO, while nice, the Weiss is a little "laid back".  The MPS-5 sounded so bad in my system that I could only listen for about 30 minutes.  This unit was limited to 16/48 via USB, so it wasn't a very fair comparison but I didn't like it at all.  The preamp replaced by direct-to-amp is the SAS Audio 11A.  I also have a NAT Audio Symmetrical that is being repaired and I intend to compare that as well.

Cap:  I used the PWD both "D2A" and with preamp.  I didn't care for the direct feed as the attenuation is digital and I felt that I lost resolution.  The difference between the PWD and MSB is significant, both with the MSB Platinum (which I had in my system for demo) and the Signature.  Greater resolution and a more natural presentation with improved soundstaging.  Also, the USB input on the PWD is limited to 96K, and since I gave up on the Bridge, it was a significant limiting factor.

HTH. . .

Bob

According to PS Audio, 50 and higher there is no loss in resolution.....

I wonder if there is and difference in the sound between the MSB III and the IV, same DAC.... Different filter. Funny how they call everything platinum....

I wonder if it is worthwhile getting a used MSB or see if I can get a new one with a big discount.... I already talked to one place who said they would give me a "significant" discount a MSB if I buy speakers and amps...... Which only makes sense!

jhm731

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2011, 08:50 pm »
The PWD is getting upgraded to Mark II.  From CEO Paul Mc Gowan:

"The Mark II will consist of an entirely new digital input board, firmware update, new remote control (with Balance control)and a Critical Link fuse. These changes can pretty easily be handled by customers at home and we will make easy to use kits available for the upgrade. Once upgraded, there will be zero difference between the Mark I and the Mark II, even down to the labeling. We made sure this is the case so our loyal PS customers who own or are planning on owning a PWD will be taken care of.

11 new power supplies, analog switching in place of saturated logic data paths that we use now, a new built in and user selectable jitter reduction circuitry called NativeX - which will just set you back on your heels when you hear what this does - even on I2S inputs (which is still not making sense to me) - but the engineering team outdid itself.

I can tell you without a doubt this is a major improvement -far more analog like - it's as close to the best analog recordings I have everheard. I am impressed with what theengineering guys did."

capwkidd

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2011, 09:14 pm »
Jhm, was this in an email, or on the PS Audio site?

And the big Q, how much?

jhm731

« Reply #13 on: 3 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm »
Jhm, was this in an email, or on the PS Audio site?

And the big Q, how much?

Info is from the PS Audio forum.

No word yet on the price.

jhm731

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2011, 08:07 pm »
The PWD MK II input board kit can now be ordered:

http://beta.psaudio.com/products/audio/media-players/pwd-mki-to-mkii/

capwkidd

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2011, 11:43 pm »
http://www.psaudio.com/products/audio/media-players/pwd-mki-to-mkii/pwd-upgrade-purchase-page/

Jhm, that link took me to the homepage, hopefully the above link will work for others. The price is lower than I thought it would be, now if they could offer a remote that does not feel like it came with a $29 DVD player from years gone by!

jhm731

« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2011, 12:06 am »
now if they could offer a remote that does not feel like it came with a $29 DVD player from years gone by!

I agree.

The best DAC remote I've had my hands on is the $7.7K Weiss DAC 202, but it doesn't have balance control and IMO, the Weiss
doesn't sound as good as the PWD MK.I.