Its all ted_b's fault!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Its all ted_b's fault!!!
« on: 17 Jun 2011, 09:55 pm »
My name is ED and I'm a Hi-rezaholic, "Hi ED!!!"..A few months back a guy who I only know as ted_b turned me on to my first Hi-rez material and I was immediately hooked, I started bothering him for sources and spending endless hours online looking for Hi-rez-( Ed starts sobbing). "Your safe now Ed!!"I started listening to music from people I never heard of and was BUYING IT!!!!!! In three months I lost my job and spent a whole bunch of money of my Hi-rez, but I had to have it, two weeks ago I stopped... "All right Ed!!"Today I heard from some friends I had about how its ruined them also and how quickly they went from 16/44.1 to 24/96 and some all the way to 32/192, I've ruined myself and others all because of Hi-rez material and its all ted_b's fault!!!!!!!!

ted_b- you helped me get started on a really neat journey with this stuff and the more folks I get going on it the more I hear about how much better the music sounds. I was actually pretty skeptical until I was in the hospital and bought "Steely Dan's- GAUCHO" in 24/96 Flac and was laying in my bed that night with my laptop on a bedside table and my Grado headphones and I started listening to it and thinking just how clear the snae drum sounded and how natural the bass drum was. Then I heard a guitar solo and heard the depth and the thing was at that point I wasn't really hearing it until after getting home and talking with ted and finding out info-he's got INFO!!!-and then I heard more of my favorite bands and they all sounded so good, I just wanted to thank ted_b for being patient while I picked his brain and swamped him with email...LOL....Thanks Ted..in all seriousness, Thanks!!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Its all ted_b's fault!!!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm »
 :D  It's all good!   Thanks so much for the kudos. 

Redbook can sound damn good , too, but I find that much of the hirez stuff is that much better, not just cuz of the resolution or bit depth, but also because of the white glove treatment the mastering/mixing gets. 

I'm now going to tell you that even SACD's can now get ripped (I have one of the first alpha test PS3 machines to do it) and converting it to 24/352k is sublime!!   :thumb:  OK, ok, 24/176.4k is pretty damn great, too.    :)

Ed, I'll ping you later on it.   :wink:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2011, 12:02 am »
I can't wait to start trying some 24/192 when Wavelength gets the HS chip done for my Crimson.   :hyper:

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2011, 01:07 am »
Funny Ed!

Last year hometheaterdoc brought a laptop full of hirez files over and jaws dropped. I think it was on his PerfectWave DAC. Hard to forget that sound. I'm glad there are new releases still coming out.  I get emails from 2L about their new BluRay releases which sound so tempting.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2011, 01:30 am »
I just want to find an affordable DAC with 24/96 USB, 24/96 or higher Coax, if possible 24/96 or higher toslink with a nifty remote volume control so I can sit, I want to take a Creek Passive Pre and smash it up with a DAC using a decent Sabre Chip even if its only USB and Coax and RCA's for pre-amp side.....No lights, embedded microwaves or kegorators just functioning Passive pre with remote and some type of multiple input DAC chip set up....I'm easy...LOL :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2011, 01:51 am »
Ed,
Here is a picture of my DIY 24bit/192KHz USB Asynchronous DAC system with my PC music server at RMAF2010.  It uses a Wolfson DAC like the Perfectwave.   Everything runs off batteries!  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2011, 02:00 am »
Twisted Pear Buffalo Dac kits are very nice, using Sabre32 9018. They have all those options you want, except a remote. I'm listening to one right now, totally delicious! 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2011, 02:09 am »
Twisted Pear Buffalo Dac kits are very nice, using Sabre32 9018. They have all those options you want, except a remote. I'm listening to one right now, totally delicious!

And they can do DSDIFF!  :)

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2011, 02:23 am »
And they can do DSDIFF!  :)

DSDIFF

Cool! I didn't know that was possible outside pro recording gear. But what can we use for a DSD "transport" since SACD players usually don't stream DSD?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2011, 02:38 am »
You've not been reading.   8)  I mentioned it above, but here.....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:38 am »
(I have one of the first alpha test PS3 machines to do it)

What does this mean?  Is this some sort of developer PS3? 

I thought you could use the linux-based software, reported (on Audiocircle) here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.msg905299#msg905299

assuming your ps3 was running 3.5x firmware.

-Jim

Quiet Earth

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:28 am »
I don't understand the point in having a hi-rez recording if it has been converted to something else  :scratch:. I would think that it would be even more obvious that it is digitized since you have a higher resolution copy of the conversion. Does that make any sense?  :dunno:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:30 am »
What does this mean?  Is this some sort of developer PS3? 

I thought you could use the linux-based software, reported (on Audiocircle) here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.msg905299#msg905299

assuming your ps3 was running 3.5x firmware.

-Jim

Yes, you install OtherOS++ 3.55 firmware, Mr Wicked's revolutionary code (SACd-ripper.pkg), some PS3 keys and away you go.  The PS3 needs to be an early SACD-capable player, and if firmware has been updated to 3.6 you're dead.  Needs to stay 3.55 or below.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2011, 04:33 am »
I don't understand the point in having a hi-rez recording if it has been converted to something else  :scratch:. I would think that it would be even more obvious that it is digitized since you have a higher resolution copy of the conversion. Does that make any sense?  :dunno:

Conversions can be non-lethal.  70MM film converted to BluRay looks incredible.  FLAC converted to wav is lossless.  DIFF converted to 24/352.8k or 24/176.4k is quite hi-rez. 

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm »
You've not been reading.   8)  I mentioned it above, but here.....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0

Thanks