Hi Rez of live performances

Blueshirt1

Hi Rez of live performances
« on: 8 Dec 2012, 08:17 pm »
Hi,

Just getting into the whole HiRez stuff and notice that there are quite a few live performances available. Such as Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day. I always though sound quality of a recorded performance is inferior to the same thing recorded in a studio?  Am I wrong? Or is a live performance recording really about re-creating the "being there" experience?

JerryLove

Re: Hi Rez of live performances
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2012, 08:34 pm »
It would depend on your definition of "inferior".

The mic setups are usually excellent but second tier; and you will get more cross-talk between the mics and with the room. Live give the mixer a little less control: but that's often part of the point.

Blueshirt1

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2012, 08:48 pm »
Good point. I guess I was thinking more in the lines of less detail, poorer imaging.

But Im starting to understand the point. Hell, the only reason recordings exists is to hear artists you cant hear in person.

JerryLove

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2012, 09:09 pm »
Detail would be presumably lower due to less control of mic position and due to the higher noise floor of the room.

Imaging is a function of mic position and mixing. It could be seen as improved or worsened: depending.

I think one nice thing about live recordings is that less is done to "clean up the mix". The fact is that, especially for those who like to go out and listen to live music, many sound engineers make choices that are deemed detrimental to the music. Whatever the physical limitations imposed by live recording; the loss of post processing is viewed (by many) as a good thing.

Personally, if the sound engineer has done a good job, I usually prefer the non-live recording for exactly some of the reasons you list;  but it's not a universal preference.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:28 am »
Lots of great hi rez real live performances on archive.org. Phil lesh, Steve Kimock,, Rat dog and lots of other music. Definitely worth checking out, not all but many sound VERY good. 24 bit worthy.

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:59 am »
And what about the Chick Corea live 24/96 USB drive you turned me on to?  Hard to believe anyone would find fault with that sound quality!

simon wagstaff

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2013, 08:10 pm »
Yes, that Return to Forever release really is superb. For live recordings you likely need to make the distinction between a mixed down multi track soundboard recording and one made with a pair of mics out in the room.  Certainly no loss of detail with a board recording. Probably not too many commercial releases (non-classical) are a simple two mic stereo recording out in the room. There are also quite a few stage mic recordings where the stereo pair s placed near the lip of the stage. There are a few Frank Zappa recordings from the late 60's, 12-18-73 ,Grateful Dead and a lot of the Steve Kimock on archive are recorded this way. Not a good method for bands with vocals though.

I also want to mention Dave Grusin The Hang which is an awesome sounding hi rez surround jazz release, one of my faves.