Why isnt omni directional speaker popular?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Why isnt omni directional speaker popular?
« Reply #60 on: 2 Dec 2012, 12:14 am »
Has anyone seen/heard the DIY's from Parts Express that are the line source with the 18 mids and 72 tweeters. Cabinets come assembled, all for $1980. I may try that my self. But, I'd have to find someone to do the veneer.

Don't confuse line array with omni directional speakers.

navin

« Reply #61 on: 2 Dec 2012, 10:11 am »
Omni's *add* the room they are in to the existing recording.

You get all the reflections of the recording, then the reflections of your room added in.

It's not necessarily unpleasent. In theory it would make a near-field or an-echoic recording of a violin sound like a violin in your room rather than next to your ear. But whether preferred or unpreferred, it is a difference from the original recording.

They don't imitate or not imitate the original recording. The reflections in the original are still there. The room is then added on top of them.

I agree. I don't have a huge amount of experience with Omnis but this 'effect' they super-impose on recordings seem to favour some and do not so well with others.

Most surely Omnis are not accurate but them neither are most monopoles or OBs etc. The rooms we live in are one limiting factor. So while many of us might have impressive systems that reproduce music well I don't know how many of these could be considered 'accurate' and even then they may be 'accurate' for just a section/genre/type of music.

JerryLove

« Reply #62 on: 2 Dec 2012, 06:06 pm »
The only way to remove your room from what you hear is headphones (or an anechoic chamber). That's maximum accuracy.

Though you need to mic differently when you do the recording as well. There's a long list about the differences in proper mic-ing for speakers in a room vs headphones.

rodge827

« Reply #63 on: 2 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm »
Hi All,

I was on the phone yesterday talking with an owner of Holistic Audio H1's. He told me he has been through a number of omni directional speakers and absolutely loves them.

Check out the site here:  http://www.holisticaudio.com/HolisticAudio/HOME.html

Have fun!  :D

harley52

« Reply #64 on: 4 Dec 2012, 05:36 pm »
JLM
 Hi,
I'm not confused at all about an omni and a line source though they both have things in common. I was just puttin out the LS info as a fairly inexpensive way to get great sound. Most, it seems to me, omni's seem over priced for what many of them are. I find the Duevals to be particularrly pricey, but a good part of their price is 'cause of the dollar devaluation.

The most fun I've had when listening causually is from a pr. of AV123 x-omni's. Very good for the buck and they were hooked up to Grace Digital i-net radio. Fun on the cheap is an understatement. Of course the music sure helped in that regard.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #65 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:01 am »
One significant difference between a good recital hall and a home listening room is what's happening as far as reflections (reverberation) goes.  In a good hall, there is a fairly long time delay between the first-arrival sound and the onset of reflections, and when those reflections do arrive, they are diffuse, decorrelated, well-energized, and spectrally correct.   

When an omni or quasi-omni or polydirectional setup is working well, it is mimicing at least some of those characteristics of live music in a good hall.  I would characterize a fullrange dipole speaker as a quasi-omni in this context, as the backwave is spectrally correct, and we need to get the speakers out into the room far enough that the backwave reflection path imposes a respectable time delay.   My point being, if the problem is "how to better mimic what happens in a good recital hall", a speaker doesn't have to be a true omni to take us in that direction.   In my experience, true omnis have a tendency to generate unnatural soundstage effects (ten foot wide guitars), even when set up professionally.   

As for popularity or lack thereof, in addition to the somewhat demanding placement constraints, I think most audiophiles have the perception that "reflections = bad; more reflections = worse".   This is true under some conditions, but not when done right, which really isn't all that difficult.  And reflections done right improve timbre, sense of envelopment, and clarity.  That's right, clarity... that surprised me too, but it's right there in Floyd Toole's book, with some real good research to back it up.   Anyway if you allow me to classify dipoles as "polydirectionals" and therefor "quasi-omnis", once we include Magnepan they're pretty popular after all. 

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #66 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:14 am »
sorry double post... you'd think I'd have learned the difference between the "quote" and "modify" buttons by now...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 3 Feb 2013, 12:23 am »
I had a pair ohm walshes at one time, they sounded great but bass was an issue without a sub.

Bjorn

« Reply #69 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:25 am »
Omnis are fine for outdoor use. In a bounded space they suck IMO. Create an acoustics nightmare with tons of specular reflections and the result is sound everywhere and nowhere. Terrible image with no acccuracy.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #70 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:16 am »
Omnis are fine for outdoor use. In a bounded space they suck IMO. Create an acoustics nightmare with tons of specular reflections and the result is sound everywhere and nowhere. Terrible image with no acccuracy.

I couldn't disagree more.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #71 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:51 am »
I currently own a true omnidirectional speaker, which is more than most of the posters in this thread can say.  To say that they "suck" indoors is untrue. There are things that they do very well, and some not so well. 

Jumpin

« Reply #72 on: 17 Feb 2013, 01:57 pm »
I run a pair of ohms in my living room.  For me, the value has always been consistent sound throughout the room.  I'm not one to sit in one spot for long.  With that in mind, I would always appreciate speakers with wide dispersion patters.  By contrast, I have owned Maggie's .  Lovely and hard to beat in the sweet spot, but ultimately, not best for my listening style.