Dusty, is this a sign of a problem to come.

DaveX

Dusty, is this a sign of a problem to come.
« on: 31 Oct 2010, 09:16 pm »
Hi, one of my D200's made like a popping/crackling/clicking sound through the right speaker, it seemed to act like a ticking clock at one time.
I turned the amps off and swapped them over, now so far it hasn't reoccurred in the left speaker. I leave my amps on 24/7, is it possible that turning them off (10 min's) cured the problem. My preamp is a passive TVC and the problem wasn't eliminated by switching to another input or turning all sources off. Its possible it could be the right speaker, but as it hasn't yet reoccurred I don't really know. Thanks.

CIAudio

Re: Dusty, is this a sign of a problem to come.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:32 am »
Since you've already switched them, wait and see if it acts up again. If the problem follows the amplifier, then it is the likely culprit. If the noise remains on the same side after the switch, it indicates something upstream...cable, preamp, etc.

DaveX

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2010, 05:37 pm »
Since you've already switched them, wait and see if it acts up again. If the problem follows the amplifier, then it is the likely culprit. If the noise remains on the same side after the switch, it indicates something upstream...cable, preamp, etc.

Hello Dusty, I have noticed that the amp I heard the noise on is cool to the touch on the back panel, whereas the other amp feels warm.

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2010, 05:40 pm »
doesn't tell me much, we'd need to put it on the bench to diagnose.

DaveX

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2010, 06:04 pm »
doesn't tell me much, we'd need to put it on the bench to diagnose.

Dusty I live in England UK, would the distributor be able to do the test, or send them back to you. The amps seem to sound OK, meanwhile I will let you know if there's any change.