CI Stereo power amp coming?

tktran303

CI Stereo power amp coming?
« on: 25 Jul 2010, 03:25 am »
Hi,

I'm interested in buying stereo power amps.

I need 4 channels of 200W into 8ohms, but smaller and less weight than four separate D200MK2 monoblocks.

I think CI Audio are capable of making such a product, especially now that Hypex have released a SMPS.

Are there any plans for CI Audio to build such a beast?

CIAudio

Re: CI Stereo power amp coming?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2010, 02:56 pm »
Funny you ask...

Last week I finished a prototype which produces 150w per channel stereo and can be bridged mono for 450w (8 ohms).
It uses a custom 1200w switching supply designed specifically for this purpose, and could be very small and light weight (8.5"w x 2.7"h x 10.5"d and around 8 lbs.).

We still have a lot of testing and refinement to do. If it meets our demands of performance & reliability, we may put them into production. If so, it would probably be ready around Jan 2011.

Understand that we build prototype products all the time, only about 1/3 make it to production. It has to be a great product and a good value for our customers...so we will see.
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 03:38 pm by CIAudio »

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2010, 04:29 pm »
I would love to see a product like that coming out from CI. Funny thing is thismorning i was thinking about CI producing such a product and now I found this information.

Let's see what happens.

USAudio

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2010, 10:46 pm »
An Integrated amplifier would be nice too.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:26 am »
Sorry, but no plans for an integrated at this time.

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2011, 01:21 am »
Would you consider putting the switching power supply in the D200 and D500? This would make it lighter and perhaps give it more power. The Linn Chakra uses the switching powersupply and has killer power for a 100 watt amp - compares to the D200. I still do like the CI D200 for some reason.

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2011, 03:49 am »
Still haven't found a switching design that I like better than our linear supplies.

Weight is really their only advantage... they are less efficient, create a lot of RF, and are more complicated/prone to failure.