SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling

JackD

Re: SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling
« Reply #180 on: 8 Aug 2018, 03:38 am »
Another option which you could mark and then move when not in use would be a pair of stand up diffusers from GIK. Then you could have equal distance from the rear of the speaker.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #181 on: 8 Aug 2018, 04:09 am »
Great idea  :thumb:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #182 on: 8 Aug 2018, 02:20 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:27 am by SlushPuppy »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #183 on: 8 Aug 2018, 06:15 pm »
I've got two GIK free standing panels in the room already, one at each side of the room.  24" wide by 60" tall by 4" deep.  You can see them in the second and third pictures in my post above.  GIK calls them "FreeStand Bass Traps" in the 4" version and "FreeStand Absorption Panels" in the 2" version.  I placed them at the first reflection points for use with my previous speakers.  Might not be needed there now with OB speakers, but after removing them I noticed an echo when standing in the middle of the room while talking, so put them back.

I like the idea of using free standing panels behind the speakers to get equal distance behind each speaker.  I think they should be diffusion panels.  My view of GIK's diffusion products called Alpha and Impression Series is they are an absorption panel with a "thin face plate that has mathematical sequence of slots for spatial diffusion."  The face plate looks to be no more than a 1/4" and it's hard to see how that can do much in the way of diffusion, but I could be wrong.  The rectangle version is available with free standing supports but the panels are only 23" by 45.5" high.  I'm not sure that's tall enough but GIK says custom sizes are available.  If I can get them 60" tall I think it would be an option that would help to even out the wall behind the speakers. 

Actually now that I'm home and measuring, the standard height of 45.5" might be fine.
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2018, 01:41 am by Hear Clifford Brown »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #184 on: 9 Aug 2018, 01:40 pm »
Last night I did as Clayton suggested and increased the toe-in angle.  Rotated the outside leg forward 2 inches while keeping the inside leg stationary.  WOW !!  Vast improvement in every way, including the bass.  Not sure why the bass improvement but doesn't matter, it's good.  The system just has a great balance. It sounds super clean with completely non-fatiguing detail. It seems to be more engaging and has just more of everything, attack of instruments with increased definition in every way.  I hear effortless dynamics, resolution, clarity, openness, sound that is nuanced and intricately detailed, provides an utterly convincing spatial rendering, localization, and tonal character of instruments.  Tonight I'll move them farther apart, which Clayton also suggested after seeing room pictures.

2oldcranks

« Reply #185 on: 9 Aug 2018, 02:32 pm »
Envious here with my M4TMs :green:
Check out the PIAudio site(ARGH!) or Agon for their diffusers, picked up four and they are for OB speakers(one of the two profiles)
Vert Happy with them, Wifey  heard instant clearing up of rear reflections,lightweight cast foam 24"x48" easy to move ,hang.Could easily make a stand for em cheap

Going to take awhile but X2s are first audio product I started a "NUT" for, in a couple years some kind soul will gut Luminas and I will give their X2s a loving home, Or I can buy lotto tix! :lol:
Enjoy those BMFs

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #186 on: 9 Aug 2018, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for the reminder on PI Audio diffusers.  I've looked at them before.  They might even be a good replacement for what I have on the front wall now, which I bought dirt cheap on Agon, and I'm not sure how effective they are.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #187 on: 6 Dec 2018, 02:56 pm »
SlushPuppy I noticed you are moving to a tube integrated.  If you don't mind, which one?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #188 on: 6 Dec 2018, 03:10 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:27 am by SlushPuppy »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #189 on: 6 Dec 2018, 05:00 pm »
Cool!  I'll be interested in how it sounds with the X2's, my assumption would be very good, based on: "Delivering 70 watts per channel from EL34's, 80 watts from KT88's, 84 watts from KT120's, and 96 watts from KT150's."  I really liked my 17 watt tube amp with the M3TM's.  Would like to try a higher output tube amp with my X2's.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #190 on: 6 Dec 2018, 09:52 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:28 am by SlushPuppy »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #191 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:22 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:28 am by SlushPuppy »

Whitestix

« Reply #192 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:27 am »
I have a Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum headed my way as we speak to power my M4 Triode Master's.  My TM's present a 12 ohm load to the amp.  I vastly  preferred a fine potent SS amp with my earlier version of the speakers -- the Turbo S, which also had a nominal 4 ohm load.  Let us know how the Prima Luna amp sounds in your system. 

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #193 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:45 am »
Congrats Slush on getting where you are, music bliss.  It's interesting that since you have a difficult room, you are getting better results without DSP room correction that the Lyngdorf has with it's "Room Perfect."  I did a lot of research on both Lyngdorf Room Perfect and DEQX, and thought wow, people are reporting such improvement with both of those, I'm so tempted to try one.  But then by chance was on the phone with Clayton regarding something else, and I mentioned my interest in DEQX.  After that conversation I dropped the idea because after using it for a time, Clayton didn't like it either.  Was missing the emotional involvement of the music; something along those lines.  So it seems you came to the same conclusion.   

SlushPuppy

« Reply #194 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:51 am »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:29 am by SlushPuppy »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #195 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:09 am »
Great OB speakers solve room issues in a way that box speakers (even with EQ) just can't.  Welcome to the club :)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #196 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:24 am »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #197 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:28 am »

brj

« Reply #198 on: 18 Dec 2018, 05:27 am »
Great OB speakers solve room issues in a way that box speakers (even with EQ) just can't.  Welcome to the club :)

I might generalize that statement to state that matching the directivity (frequency dependent radiation pattern and power response) of your speakers to your room geometry limitations and speaker placement limitations and then choosing treatments appropriate to the combination will go a long way toward achieving sonic bliss.

That statement is in no way meant to minimize the benefits of OB speakers, but rather to encourage folks to understand why they can be a good option, and under what conditions, in particular.  For example, Clayton doesn't recommend putting the X2s right up against a wall, so if that's a limitation you can't avoid, then other options may be more appropriate.  In short, knowledge is power, and physics always wins! :)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #199 on: 22 Mar 2019, 04:31 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2019, 01:30 am by SlushPuppy »