Parasound Halo 2.1 integrated or Pass Int 150 with Maggie 3.7i

johnto

Anyone have experience with these integrated and Maggie 3.7i speakers. What ate your impressions?
Is the Pass worth almost 3X the cost of the Parasound?

Rusty Jefferson

I was about to link the thread describing harsh/grainy vocals when I realized it's yours. Sorry you're not happy with the setup.

Personally, I can't imagine switching to the Pass amplifier is going to be the silver bullet if you're consistently underwhelmed. The Parasound is a good quality amp and assuming the amp and speakers are working properly, those speakers just may not be for you.

You can certainly influence (soften) the characteristics of the sound with interconnects (cd player >amp) and speaker cables.  Others may have opinions about brands that can accomplish this, but I can recommend Dueland, available from Parts conneXion. Not ridiculously expensive, and I tamed an almost unlistenable set of horn speakers with them. Not a coloration, but the edge removed.

LarryRS

Anyone have experience with these integrated and Maggie 3.7i speakers. What ate your impressions?
Is the Pass worth almost 3X the cost of the Parasound?

I've used the Halo with both the 1.7i and the 3.7i.  It sounded very good with both to me.

LarryRS

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  There should be no issues with the Parasound and Maggies. Actually very good synergy. What digital gear are you using ? The Pass is a dry sound. If you like that give it a listen.
 What is not to your liking now ?

charles

johnto

Using an oppo 103 play about 65% vinyl and 35% cd.
Purchased an outboard moon audio lp 3 phono pre.

I.Greyhound Fan

I own Mag 1.6's and used a Parasound A21 amp.  I switched to a Pass X250 amp and the difference was amazing.  The Pass is smoother, has more detail, air and transparency.  Bass is thunderous and the dynamics are much improved.  The A21 has some grain to it as well.  The only Parasound amp that I would pair with the 3.7's are the JC1 Monoblocks which are still work class amps and are the only Parasound amps that were designed by John Curl.  The A21 borrowed from that design.  The Parasound Int. 2.1 is based off the A21.

In addition the Pass Int will have a much better preamp section.  I owned a Pass X1 preamp.  It was smooth, detailed, dynamic and sounded great at low volumes.  Much better than the Parasound P7 pre that I heard and about on par with the Parasound JC2 pre which is a little more polite sounding than my Pass.

You will be much happier with the Pass.  My only concern is power.  Even though you use only about 10wpc under most instances, the higher power really helps with dynamics.  I would feed those 3.7's 500wpc.
My X250 is 250 wpc at 8ohms and 500wpc at 4 ohms.  The A21 was 250 at 8 ohms and 400 at 4 ohms.

johnto

I ended up with a Pass 250.8 and XP 10 pre so far everything is awesome.

I.Greyhound Fan

I ended up with a Pass 250.8 and XP 10 pre so far everything is awesome.

Excellent choice. Enjoy!