Brushing records on a Versalex

AnalogueInQatar

Brushing records on a Versalex
« on: 23 May 2014, 06:38 am »
Good morning from Qatar.

I am considering purchasing a Versalex in the near future and have a question playing on my mind.

Does the motor have enough torque to overcome the friction of either a Hunt EDA type brush or a Clearaudio simple carbon fibre strip brush?

The reason I ask, is that on my first turntable, 20 years ago (a Revolver), both brushes would slow the platter down, especially if the record had not been through a RCM. The Hunt EDA would stop the platter at times and I am worried that I will damage the motor on a Versalex if I tried to brush my records with either brush.

Incidentally, my Gyrodec and Technics 1210 have enough torque to prevent the above happening. The 1210 in particular goes like a train and is strong as an ox.

Thanks in advance,

Dirk.

Charisma12

Re: Brushing records on a Versalex
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 02:21 pm »
I have been using an Oracle carbon fibre brush without problem. It may slow down the platter a bit but it won't hurt the motor.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 03:17 pm »
I use an AudioQuest carbon fiber brush and it most definitely slows down the platter on my WT Amadeus.  It will stop the platter completely if not careful.

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 03:46 pm »
It can slow it down a tad, yet I'm told it doesn't hurt anything.
If one is stopping the platter with a fiber brush you're applying way too much pressure and not using it as intended. Check a YouTube instructional vid.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2014, 04:38 pm »
The carbon fiber type brushes are fine for touch up and lifting a few specs of dust off of a record.....not serious record cleaning. Apply light pressure only and surely don't apply enough pressure to stop the platter. Do your serious cleaning with a RCM.

AnalogueInQatar

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2014, 05:19 pm »
Many thanks for the replies.

The simple brush is in, the hunt eda brush is out.

I'll hopefully post once I acquire my deck.

Regards,

Dirk.