How much $$ do you have in audio?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: How much $$ do you have in audio?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2010, 03:48 pm »
Is she "HOT" ? :hyper:  ( :jester:)
Haah, LOL. :lol:  Good answer!! :thumb:   I will do a thread about it in the PUB.

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:43 pm »
Spent too much when I didn't know better and now that I do,
I don't have enough to spend.
I need a not tub time machine to rectify this situation.

scraps@midnight

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:29 am »
I started out with nothing and I have most of it left...

cujobob

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:09 am »
I've been in the hobby for about seven years...and I've probably gone through ~$15,000 which is a lot since I started around 20-21 years old (plus had video taking up plenty)

There were some purchases I regret...but overall, I've learned a lot about ways to get the most for my dollar.  It's very easy to buy into hype and FOTM gear...I've avoided a lot of that.

Nuance

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:42 pm »
I never even thought about adding it all up for a grand total.  I do know that a lot of gear has come and gone through my home.  I think a more interesting question would be, how much money have you lost to this hobby (as in gone forever because you sold a new piece of gear to fund another one, taking a hit)?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:43 pm »
I started out with nothing and I have most of it left...

I love that..well put!!! :thumb: :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:38 pm »
Way more than is prudent, but I don't golf, gamble or ride a Harley or a Jet Ski.
And I don't own an Alfa anymore (huge black hole for $$, but I loved the car!).

So it's all relative!

I was thinking along these lines too before I read your post.  I've been at this for 39 yrs., so I've probably bought a nice cars worth.

But hey, it keeps me off the streets (esp. w/ so many good internet companies now).  :lol:

I've gone entry level, upsale, more upscale, downgraded, upscale again, HT only, HT & 2 ch ...

Once hooked, it never ends until you are 6 ft. under.

mcullinan

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:48 pm »
One Meeeeeeelion dollars!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #28 on: 17 Jun 2010, 09:17 pm »
Been doing this for about 40 years.  So many pieces have came and went. 

I have very little unused equipment sitting around (it either went to building the living room system, the A/V system, or thanks to you all - sold here at A/C).

Currently I have about $4,800 invested in the main system.  Which I consider to be within my means, and in a rationalization, very reasonable considering that I spend very little on other hobbies.

werd

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jun 2010, 09:18 pm »
More then i can count on my fingers and toes....

Regalma

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jun 2010, 10:33 pm »
It has been the same for many years and probably remain the same for the rest of my life:

I have way more than I should and way less than I'd like.

Nuance

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:04 am »
I have way more than I should and way less than I'd like.

Well said!

SET Man

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:23 am »
Hey!

Well, probably not as much as many of the people around here. :D But more than enough for my non-audiophile friends to call me crazy... although they do admit that my system sound good to them.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

low.pfile

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jun 2010, 12:48 am »
$289.95.....boom boom pow.  :dance:

Real answer....as my wife says..."It's a warehouse here...." :?

Chris,
Thanks SO much!! You gave me a sweet idea. So I sold off my Devore Gibbon7.1 center speaker and am using my good ol' JVC boom box. Hey, it's battery powered too.

:wink:

Bemopti123

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2010, 02:26 am »
Lets say, too much $$$ and about 1/2 to 3/4 are not being used at any one time.  It is time to sell off some extraneous stuff. 

If that cartoon was my wife, the lowest wrung would have a set of Japanese chef knives, sharpened to slice me into sashimi.

BTW:  the greatest one line my wife ever said, after I have purchased a set of 46" tower TL speaker cases, the FTA-2000...and I put them in the living room.....It was almost 1 month since they were there she notices them and says, "Did you buy those????"  I said, "no honey, they have been there for a while, they are old stuff you did not notice them before!"  It was like a psychological trick....you convince someone the "reality" is not what it is, but what you tell them it is.