Grilling out question. . .

Hantra

« on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:18 pm »
All:

As a relatively new homeowner, I grill out a few times a week.  I just love it.  We got this Weber Genesis gas grill when we moved in. . .

Problem is, I am not sure how often, or what needs to be cleaned.  The book was no help.  I fire the grill up to about 500 degrees for a bit, then clean the porcelain each time.  But the "Flavorizers", and the metal underpart of the grill are quite horrendous.  I empty the grease pan, but how often do I need to get on the inside and do some serious cleaning to those bars, and rest of the grill?

I ask b/c I had this huge grease fire the other night while the grill was warming up for some ribs.  It was amazing!  It was like the whole grill was on fire. . .

So. . . I guess I need to do something?  It burned itself out in like 5 minutes. . .

Since I am only used to apartment life, I never had a grill to worry about. . .So, any tips?

B

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:47 pm »
The best thing to do with a gas grill is to burn it off every couple of times you use it.  Just close the lid & crank it up; most of the grease & particals will burn off.

Occasionally you'll need to dissasemble it to clean ashes and stuff out of the bottom.  Otherwise airflow will be impeded and you'll get hotspots and dead spots, and you'll have trouble getting good even heat.

The flamebar will likely never need much cleaning beyond a good burning.  You can brush the firebar with a wire brush.  Normally that is sufficient.

If you're grill top is steel or iron, a good wire brush is best.  

You may want to check into a cast iron smoker box.  It's like a matchbox with a slider drawer or perforated lift off top.  You soak wood chips, drain, and set on the coals/ceramic bricks/heat diffuser and then put the grill on.  This gives you good woodsmoke flavor akin to using charcoal but with the precise temp control and convenience of gas.  There's lots of types but mesquite is pretty versatile and will work well with most meats.

Hope this helps.

Rob

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2003, 01:11 am »
Just to add a little to what Rob said.  The Weber should have a slide out inbetween the greese pan and the grill.  The whole bottom on my weber slides out and needs to be emptied once and awhile.  I know what you went through when she goes up  :o ....holy shit!  My new grill is on FIRE!!
Thats what usually reminds me to clean it.

BlackCat

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:57 pm »
I went back to charcoal.  Gas grills just don't impart the flavour you get with charcoal.  Gas grills are a hassle.  The stupid tank is always empty when you need it, you gotta find somebody to fill it for you.  Charcoal grills sort of clean themselves, throw out the ashes, occasionally scrub off the grates.  Actually I don't use charcoal...I use hardwood "briquettes", great smokiness and flavour.  Now, even my wife prefers the "old" way and the gas grill sits forlornly under its cover on the patio.

Marbles

a friend has ordered this one
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:13 pm »

http://www.kamado.com/  

for details...his will have a hookup for natural gas, but he will mainly use chunk charcoal and flavored shavings.

Heats up to 700 degrees, is 2" ceramic and is so insulated he will be able to cook and smoke in the coldest winter days.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:21 pm »
Looks like a bong! :o

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:31 pm »
Prices cheaper than I thought ! As an extra , maybe they could custom up a small pair to use as speaker  cabinets for the patio !!  :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:32 pm »
Maxcast,

Your right!!! I guess I will have to ask him what he's really smoking in it  :o    8)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2003, 03:47 pm »
i'm firmly in the charcoal camp.  no pressed briquettes, either.  real charcoal.

http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/

doug s.

bwkendall

The advice you received for the care and cleaning
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2003, 07:30 pm »
of your grill is good.  I think with a little practice you will come to really appreciate the gas grill.  I was a dyed in the wool Weber-charcoal man for years and years, and finally got a gas grill.  Wow, what a difference.  Get some good steaks, fire up the grill on high and let it warm up, toss the steaks on for 4 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other and "voila", a culinary masterpiece.

The other thing you should do is invest in a cover for it when it is not in use.  The elements will cause these grill's appearance to deteriorate over time.

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: The advice you received for the care and cleaning
« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2003, 07:34 pm »
Quote from: bwkendall
...Get some good steaks, fire up the grill on high and let it warm up, toss the steaks on for 4 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other and "voila", a culinary masterpiece...

=====================
btdt - real charcoal tastes better!   uh, i mean the meat that's cooked w/real charcoal, that is!  :wink:

doug s.