A good day (the RM/x have landed)

ScottMayo

« on: 14 Apr 2005, 05:33 pm »
Any day that a truck backs up and delivers 2 VMPS speakers, a Bryson amp and preamp, is a pretty good day.

It stayed good even while unpacking (grunt!) the two massive (oof!) RM/X speakers, even though one of them turned out to be upside down on delivery. (I'm 6' tall and solidly built, and moving these things around is intimidting.)

Big, black, gleaming, physically gorgeous devices. Shiny. And in need of some wires and power. Which I gave them, about as fast as humanly possible.

Here's what we have:

2 RM/X, silver wire, TNT caps, new mid-bass system.
Bryston 6b-SST, about 300w/channel, 2 chanels in use
Bryston SP1.7 preamp
Denon DVD-2900, modified by ModWright (SACD capable)
short lengths of monster cable, which I picked up just for this quick smoke test.

Eventually, this system (with some friends) will go into my sound room. Right now my sound room is unfinished construction which was recently under an inch of water, and the speakers are going nowhere near it until I'm certain that I'll never see water in there again. So for this review, the speakers were placed about three feet apart in my living room, with no real regard for positioning or imaging, no adjustment of putty or pads. I just wanted to make sure everything survived shipment. I sat a few feet away, and hit the On switch.

I started with Shadowfax/Shadowdance, because that's what was in the player. This is new age music before it was called new age, and not brilliantly recorded, but it's got a range of frequencies and dynamics, and I was looking for obvious holes (ie, damaged drivers) in the sound.

No problems there, but no real challanges either. So I threw on Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon (SACD remix).

When the clock came ticking in over the heartbeat, I probably stopped breathing.

Dear mercy, the accuracy...

Then the voice came in, and something was wrong. Something was out of whack. I looked up. Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten to take the protective tape off the top tweeters.

I peeled that and started again. And got blown away by even greater accuracy. This was crystalline sound, diamond-etched on a jet black background. I was getting good imagining even with an ill-considered, play-them-where-they-land positioning of speakers, and voices 30db down (Pink Floyd loves to do that) were sharp and clear. There was some congestion in Us and Them, but I was still picking out details I'd never
heard before. The sound was synthetic and otherworldy, which is exactly how this album should sound.

Norah Jones/Come Away With Me went on next. Where PF likes to layer it on, Ms. Jones keeps it simple and open, and nothing has any place to hide. Every breathy rasp and coo is offered up to be dissected.

The speakers delivered her, naked and on a platter. More comment is not needed (and wouldn't be, um, seemly.)

Dire Straights/Love Over Gold was the album that sank the RM/x in their first audition. It sounded much better here, but the bass guitar just didn't have the authority it should have. I checked the preamp, and it was faithfully sending the full frequency range to the RM/xs. I hooked up a subwoofer and poked around with the settings, and got a missing piece filled in. This tells me I have some tuning to do - what bass there is, is sharp and detailed, but I'm going to need to fuss with it to get the proper presence.

The speakers do not strain under load. I was at 90dB(c) before anything sounded "loud". They were still coping just fine at 100dB. I turned it down, not because it was fatiguing - more volume just seemed to equal more detail - but because I usually listen at about 80-85db and I don't want to get into the habit of ear-bleed volumes.

The combination of Bryston and the RM/x is uncolored and pitliessly transparent. You'll hear what's on your disc. If the sound engineers rolled off the high end, you're going to know all about it. It can be disconcerting to listen to a piece and be able to work out what trade-offs the guys were making in post-production, to be able to tell when someone wasn't miked quite right. That's the kind of clarity we're talking about here.

Now I just need to get the sound room finished. Then I can give them some space to fill, get them properly pointed, padded, and get the room treatments set up. Then I think I'm really going to have something here. Give me a month and I should know exactly what. Auditions will be possible, when that time comes. :-)

A few notes on things other than acoustics. These speakers are vastly heavy, and two big guys is the minimum to move them. They came packed in styrofoam strips and cardboard, and swathed in heavy plastic, and they got through shipping with only minor scuffs, but I think form-fitting styrofoam casket liners, in a solid wooden box, would be the way to go. The speakers are worth it, plus you'll have a handy casket to use when someone touches your speakers, and needs to pay the ultimate price for his lack of judgement.

The binding posts are simple hand tightened knurled nuts, which means you either terminate your cable with spade lugs, or skip that and just wrap naked copper around the post and tighten down. Bring a purist who doesn't like extra metal-on-metal transisitions in any signal path, I do the latter. Which means I get to worry about stray strands of copper bridging the terminals. These speakers cry out for high quality 5 way binding posts, with a barrier strip between them.

In terms of style... the things look like some weird alien tech. Pictures don't do it justice. The shiny blackness, the smooth curves, the long vertical sweep, and the eye on top - yes, I know it's a tweeter, but just have one staring down at you and you'll think of eyes, too - makes them look vaguely... purposful. Even... alive. They will dominate any normal-sized room they are put in. WAF is zero - luckily, my wife has atypical opinions on decorating. None of this is a negative. People should stop and stare when you have speakers like this, and I think it's a vastly cool look. But they aren't blending in with anything you own, unless your furnishing comes direct from the Andromedia galaxy.

Happy, happy, happy. Broke, but happy. :-)

ekovalsky

« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2005, 05:49 pm »
Scott, you are now one of the lucky few owners of the VMPS flagship.  The cabinets are great, aren't they ?  Dorne's work is first class and build and finish quality are far above the other models, other than the few RM-40 cabinets he's built.

Here are a few setup tricks that have helped me a lot.

1.  Use a big rubber band to hold a makeup mirror onto the foam absorbers mounted adjacent to the tweeter.  Then adjust the vertical tilt of the pods until you can see your ear in the mirror at the listening position.  The ribbons have very little vertical dispersion, so if they are pointing a bit above or below your ears you loose their sweet treble.  While this obviously limits the sweet spot it is good in the sense that reflections from the floor and ceiling are minimized.  I don't mind treating walls but didn't want to hand clouds on my ceiling, and with the RM/X you don't have to.

2.  Keep the speakers close to at least one wall.  In my room they measure best very close to the front wall and about 3' out from the side walls.   The woofers are the least sensitive driver group and, being a point source, their SPL falls off faster than the planar array with distance.  This isn't an issue at the driver face or at 1m (where manufacturers typically measure) but becomes important at typical listening distances of 3-4m.   If you end up biamping it would be a good idea to use a amp with 3-6dB higher gain on the woofers compared to the planars/ribbon. Of course the tweeter is a point source so the same in-room issues are applicable, but its high sensitivity makes compensation with the level pots very easy.

3.  Flattest response seems to be at 5-10 degrees off axis.  Toe in to converge the speakers direct sound  1-2 feet in front or behind the listening position.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, ENJOY !!!

Note on WAF -- Actually my better half likes the RM/X quite a bit even though our house has an "olde world" look.  While they are large their fairly narrow baffle keep them from dominanting even a fairly small room like mine.  Maybe I'm just used to them, as visitors inevitable stop and stare :o  The piano black finish is nice too, it can work well with traditional and contemporary decor.  Very sensitive to fingerprints though.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2005, 05:59 pm »
Congrats,

I am envious of your RM/x.  I am doing the poor man's RM/x -- RM40 with Subwoofer! What kind of exploding caps are TNTs? :mrgreen:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2005, 08:05 pm »
Scott,
Welcome to the RM/X club!!  :D

Eric's comments, especially about toe-in and tweeter alignment, are right-on.  I invested in a cheap laser level (thank you Julian at SedonaSky for the tip) and it has paid off a hundred fold.  It is now extremely simple to align both the tweeter pods (I had them firing wayyyy off originally) and the speaker toe-in as a whole.  A couple of inches makes a huge difference, but with a laser level I just put it on the side of the speaker and adjust.  I won't go into excrutiating detail, but PM me with your phone number and I'd love to chat.  If I had known these things 8 months sooner I'd be way ahead.  The RM/X's are tremendous, but tremendously alignment specific.

Also, make sure you check the l-pads and see if they are calibrated equally (i.e both go from 6:30 to 4:30, for example).  If not, make sure you recognize that when trying to get them in an equivalent position.  IOW, my left tweeter l-pad was off by "30 minutes" from my right tweeter l-pad, so at 12 o'clock one was higher than the other relatively.

So, tweak a bit...but, in the words of Eric K......ENJOY!

Ted

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2005, 08:08 pm »
Definitely check the L-pads, and use your fingers when you do this initially.  On my RM30C, one of the L-pads was adjusted all the way to the end of its travel, and I split the metal in two by using a screw driver and turning the post for L-pad the wrong way.

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2005, 09:19 pm »
Be sure to pull a large pea sized piece of putty out of each speaker and save it. This is a good starting point as they're overdamped from the factory. Congrats, you have some of the best sounding speakers made..

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rmx
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2005, 10:15 pm »
I pretuned Scott's RM/X's in my soundroom with his Bryston gear, so little change will be required.  Perhaps a fingernail scrape on either PR, like a speck of dust.

For the last several months I've been doing this "in house" tuning which requires nothing be done at all by the consumer, provided he owns the exact same gear as I do (Krell, Wadia, Son of Ampzilla) and places the speakers in an LEDE 14x31x9'!!

Of course if the gear or listening room are different, some slight tuning or level control adjustment may be required, but nothing like what it used to be.

warnerwh

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2005, 10:43 pm »
Brian: Are you doing this to all speakers with adjustable damping?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
damping
« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2005, 10:53 pm »
Unfortunately yes.  I am trying to amass enough data so as to make the factory damping settings closer to what most users will end up with, rather than give them too much lattitude.  

It means taking each pair home (15 minutes from the factory) after burnin and spending a morning fine tuning, but I think ultimately the consumer will have an easier time setting up.

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2005, 11:18 pm »
Yes, I might have to get out my calendar, but this may rival the longest time, from order to delivery ever (Eric's might be longer), but in this case it was because Scott's builder was slow, and these RM/x's have been sitting here happily waiting.

For those interested, there are two more RM/x cabinet pairs just waiting for adoption (we have all the paperwork ready and a 2 ton stork standing by) 8)

This also means that we have Scott now in the NorthEast whom we can petition to let others in the area come by and hear his "super set up" once it is fully in place.

It should be something special.

And he does join an Elite Group of RM/x owners who are few and far between.

Congratulations Scott, you have lots of fun tweaking and placing to do.  Make sure your "hernia" insurance is paid up :lol:

That Bryston amp is not light either. :wink:

ekovalsky

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2005, 12:08 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Make sure your "hernia" insurance is paid up  
 :lol:  ...

Actually the RM/X isn't bad at all to move around.  Despite its substantial heft (probably from the thick HDF baffle) it scoots around well on carpet because of the flat base.  I've laid it down and lifted it up (and unpacked it) all by myself without too much difficulty, but if I didn't work out some help would be needed.

I'm sure John could pick up these bad boys and do some presses with them if he wanted  :mrgreen:

shokunin

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2005, 06:24 am »
Hey Scott,

Congrats on getting some mighty fine speakers!!

Quote from: ekovalsky

Actually the RM/X isn't bad at all to move around.  Despite its substantial heft (probably from the thick HDF baffle) it scoots around well on carpet because of the flat base.  I've laid it down and lifted it up (and unpacked it) all by myself without too much difficulty, but if I didn't work out some help would be needed.

I'm sure John could pick up these bad boys and do some presses with them if he wanted  :mrgreen:

If anyone has seen me in person, i'm about 1/3 the size of Mr. Iron Pumping Casler.  If I can move and prop these puppies upright all by myself, then a little Fulcrum physics and some muscle and you should be fine.

Enjoy the speakers, my wife actually likes the look when the grills are off.  Looks like some kind sci-fi contraption.

Glenn