2 channel preamps

sbuzz

2 channel preamps
« on: 24 Oct 2015, 03:11 am »
Have solid state mono block amps, looking for a preamp. would like some input, tubed or solid state? with a phono stage or keep that separate? Which preamps do you like?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: 2 channel preamps
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2015, 04:45 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, sbuzz.  :beer:

Cheeseboy

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2015, 05:50 am »
There is a used Dodd Audio battery preamp for sale here. Tubed and off the grid quiet. Read the reviews. It is an awesome buy.

Welcome to AC.

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2015, 07:37 am »
You might want to check out Tortuga on this site. Lots of very favorable comments

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2015, 10:49 am »
Hi and welcome to AudioCircle sbuzz.
I am sure someone here will help ou.

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2015, 11:41 am »
Have solid state mono block amps, looking for a preamp. would like some input, tubed or solid state? with a phono stage or keep that separate? Which preamps do you like?
I dont like preamps, they were need in the past century for amplify small mV MM cartridges output.
Now with plenty of 2V(or more) sources you need just a volume pot at the CD player, at PC or at the power amp input.

Standalone phono stage seems better imo.
My 2 cents. :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm »
Pre-amps are a great way to introduce tube sound to your system, if that's what you want.  Tubes just for the sake of tubes is unnecessary as good tubes and good solid state sound similar nowadays.  But if you want some tube magic (palpability, colorations) then shop tubes first, then pre-amps.  Note that too much of a good thing, like icing on a cake, can get old.  Do you want everything you eat have exaggerated flavor or to taste like A-1 steak sauce?  And how would your (inevitable) speaker/room idiosyncrasies mix with the tube magic?  Tubes can be great if done right, or they can make a mess of things.  How good of tube cook are you (or have you found)?

With a turntable, you'll need a phono pre-amp (most vote for solid state as quieter) and some sort of pre-amp.  As always separates add cost/complexity but also flexibility.

Tube buffers with multiple inputs or passive pre-amps are other simpler options but care must be given to matching amp/cable impedance and sensitivities.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2015, 01:16 pm »
If nothing else you might use AC to see of there are like minded (or just plain audio nuts) and see if there is somebody in your area that will come over and hook up what they have.  Who knows you might even get a BBQ recipie or a flavor of beer that is new to you.

Sometimes the hunt is more fun then the play time.  Good Luck and happy hunting.

Alan

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2015, 08:25 pm »
Welcome to the circle - a great place to be.

Over the years, I found a great deal to be found at AVA Hi-Fi (a sponsor here) - which lead me to become a part of this community. Almost everything I own now is a result of being here - and of the sponsors here.

sbuzz

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2015, 08:30 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I do like the warmth of tubes but now I am leaning toward a solid state pre amp. Wish there were other members living in my area. Living in the eastern sierra's we are pretty isolated. Didn't realize you could skip the pre amp. It is a continuous learning process. All input is welcome. I have products from Odyssey and Zen wave they are awesome!

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2015, 08:53 pm »
This thread has the potential to go about a thousand different directions. The more info you can share the better. What do you have now? What do you like about what you have? Why, besides insanity do you want something else? What is your budget? How is your listening space set up?

If you have mucho $$$ then just buy a Klyne and be done. If not, then hang on and try to have fun!

sbuzz

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2015, 02:45 pm »
How about the pro's and con's of passive pre amps

nickd

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:28 pm »
Passive preamps:
pro's
Less parts = less $$$
Can be very transparent for the money.
Con's
Can lack Pace, Drive, Dynamics and Soundstage size.
Can be difficult to system match. Some amps need lots of current at the input.

Although not my cup of tea, lots of A.C. fans swear by them.
If you have the budget, a high end active Preamp can add a lot of magic to your system.

Great sounding active pre's

NAT Symmetrical
Audio Research Reference Series
Burmester 808
VAC Reference Series
Ayre KXR
PBN Olympia
Krell KCT and newer
Simaudio Moon 850P

Too many others to list. however, all listed will blow your mind with what is possible in a state of the art active preamps.

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:41 pm »
One of the best, without spending $$$, is the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. Input section is a passive resistor ladder, the output is a solid state buffer. Great transparency AND drive without the unnecessary gain stages in most active preamps. I really think this approach has the least negatives/complications overall, though some of THE VERY BEST (ie $$$) preamps are active with provisions for adjustable gain, which is a fantastic feature.

Early B.

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2015, 06:41 pm »
How about the pro's and con's of passive pre amps

Don't bother with a passive preamp. They sound exactly like what they are -- lacking power.

There are a zillion options, but without knowing your budget, needs, and preferences, we're just pissin' in the wind. 

TJHUB

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2015, 07:53 pm »
Don't bother with a passive preamp. They sound exactly like what they are -- lacking power.

You've tried all of them?

avta

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2015, 07:57 pm »
I would include Jeff Rowland current preamp the Capri S2.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2015, 08:13 pm »
Passive preamps:
pro's
Less parts = less $$$
Can be very transparent for the money.
Con's
Can lack Pace, Drive, Dynamics and Soundstage size.
Can be difficult to system match.

If you have the budget, a high end active Preamp can add a lot of magic to your system.

This. Your odds of success with a passive volume control center are much greater when your power amp has a lot of gain (gain, not power) and your speakers are efficient. The more efficient the speakers, the less feeling of lack of pace, drive, dynamics. To a point anyway. An active will triumph in that regard.

I enjoyed my passive TVC for many years with a high gain tube amp and efficient speakers. But after a while I felt the need to move on. Glad I did. I agree with nickd that a very nice active preamp will blow your mind. (And your wallet.)

Have fun trying it all out. Hope to see you in the tube circle.

bluemike

« Reply #18 on: 26 Oct 2015, 08:27 pm »
I have a nice audioprism mantissa selling for 1200
It has premium tubes and in very good condition
pm me if interested  :D

Early B.

« Reply #19 on: 26 Oct 2015, 08:48 pm »
You've tried all of them?

I've owned four passive preamps and demoed one of them. My experience is very consistent with nearly everyone else who has tried them and moved on to a decent active preamp.