Anatomy of a Phono Cartridge?

sts9fan

Anatomy of a Phono Cartridge?
« on: 3 Jul 2008, 03:44 pm »
Anyone have a good site that explains all this in detail?  I am interested in the nitty gritty detail.  I have been wondering what makes a $5k cart vs a $50 cart.  I am assuming it all in the tolerances.  I do not want to have a fight over the merits of prices so please let that be.
Kris

TheChairGuy

Re: Anatomy of a Phono Cartridge?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2008, 03:54 pm »
Lotsa' fluff and voodoo in cartridges....much the same as cables.  Not that there aren't differences that are apparent for all to hear, but they are mostly due to inherent electrical and mechanical differences. They will work and not work, as it were, with your particular due to electrical and mechanical matches.

The price differences are not just tolerances (tho, that's a portion)....you also are factoring in hourly work, country of origin, material costs and certainly a bit of mystique (call it marketing bravado) thrown in.  One of the most significant differences in cost is that of the type and orientation of the diamond stylus....the direction, or grain, determines much of the sound and cheap bushed/bonded ones are significantly cheaper than high quality nude ones.

Ditto for cantilever quality....aluminum is cheapest, then you have the exotics from gold-covered aluminum thru ruby and sapphire.

Don't know where to direct you for diagrams for the nitty-gritty....   :rules:

Ciao, John

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2008, 04:16 pm »
I know you'd have to pay me a helluva lotta money to handle wires that are barely visible to the human eye! 

Mystique?  Marketing bravado?  Fluff? Voodoo? In HiFi!?  NEVER!  A total fabrication Chairguy, that never happens! :P

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2008, 04:36 pm »
I have a nice cut-away view of an AT cartridge at work. Can't find where I got it from the AT website. Hmmm. There is a lot of stuff going on in a cartridge. The wire gauge is incredibly tiny, small then a human hair. I got to find that picture somewhere...................

Wayner

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2008, 05:01 pm »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2008, 05:10 pm »
Transfiguration cartridge promo with good information on MC.  http://www.profundo.us/transfiguration/ringmag/ringmag.htm

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2008, 05:47 pm »
Good job Woodsyi!

tanchiro58

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2008, 08:24 pm »
Woodsyi,

It is an excellent idea to bring up these informations. Good lessons for me to start rebuilding an analog system!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: