First Watt amps

pwoodard922

First Watt amps
« on: 11 Apr 2023, 02:51 am »
I am new to AudioCircle. I recently got a First Watt M2 amp.  I love it and am now curious about others’ experience with the M2 and other FW amps, especially the SIT-3 and F8.  I am using mine with an ARC LSA7 and Fritz Carrera BE speakers.  Sounds detailed and very quiet .

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
Re: First Watt amps
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2023, 03:04 pm »
Hey pwoodard922,
                            welcome to the Circle. I'm not familiar with your speakers, but am glad you've found the M2 to be a good match for them. I see that the M2 has the highest noise level spec of all the FW amps, and that can be a real serious concern if you are using high efficiency speakers, so I imagine your speakers are not horns or other very sensitive speakers. I have the SIT3 and use them with Spatial M3 Turbos - it's an excellent match in all regards. I have also used the SIT3 with my full range Open Baffle Lii Song F15's and they work exceedingly well with them, so both my very high efficiency speakers work well with the SIT3. I wonder if I'd hear any amp noise with the M2? I think you'll be pleased with any of the FW amps! I want to get another one so I can biamplifiy an OB speaker I'll be building (designed by Perry Marshall) later this year.

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2023, 04:18 pm »
Hi pwoodard922,

I’m also using Fritz speakers but am pairing them with a Van Alstine solid state amp with superb results.
That said I’m planning to buy a FW F7 in the coming months just to have another flavor of amp in the house.
From what I’ve read the Fritz speakers and First Watt amps are friendly.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2023, 04:19 pm »
I have the SIT3 and it is one of the only SS amps I've really really enjoyed. I've had others that I liked but, as a tube amp guy, this is the closest I've come to sound of tubes but convenience of solid state. However, speaker matching is important as the amp doesn't have a lot of gain. It does have a beautiful organic sound with excellent tone and pace. I did make the tough decision to list it for sale however. I thought I'd keep it forever as its a limited quantity amp and they're no longer made, but after getting my tax bill and with 3 teen boys driving I need to sell a few items. I just hooked it up and spent a few hours with it last weekend. I will miss this amp.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2023, 07:50 pm »
I too have a SIT-3. Love it. Replaced a really trick PP EL34 amp.

The M2 is a popular build on diyAudio, i have not heard it.

F8 is an evolution of the very (ie most) popular FW amp, so should stand with the rest.

dave

Chazz5

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2023, 10:54 pm »
An F8 feeds my Focal Aria speakers, which are rated at 89.5 dB sensitivity. Does a great job, as loud as I might ever want in a typical modest room.

A Van Alstine Transcendence RB 10 tube preamp feeds the F8. I recently put an RME ADI-2 DAC in to feed the preamp.

All in all, it is noiseless, musical, plenty of detail, and neutral.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2023, 09:53 pm »

pwoodard922

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2023, 03:55 am »
This is great feedback.  Thank you everyone