Dave Computer is out of order

salva

Dave Computer is out of order
« on: 7 Jun 2004, 08:46 am »
Hi All, just to let you know that I've received a email back from Dave saying that his computer is out of order ...

So we wont receive emails or post from him for a few days.

Salva

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
Thanks Salva
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2004, 12:40 pm »
I am still down on email at home.  The problem was totally a self-induced error - dumb!

My computer was slightly broke and the guys at the local computer store are really great about verifying hardware problems.  They don't charge me for their time if I buy the parts from them.  Also, their parts are darn cheap - about the same as online cost.  Hence, I figured taking my computer to these guys for a peek would be smart.  The store is only 3 miles from home.

I was very careful to place the computer in the passenger seat of my truck and tilt the computer back against the seat.  This way the computer wouldn't tip forward when I stopped.  It all looked very find.  Then I had to stop very quickly!  

The computer SLAMMED into the dashboard, then went nose down onto the floor :cry:  :evil:  :cry:  :evil:   It was a very painful sight.

The result was a CPU heat sink that physically broke-loose and slammed into the mother board several times.  The result for my computer "accident" was $645 in the form of a new motherboard, chip and memory.  I upgraded slightly.  I then realized my computer still needed a graphics card.  Well, stuff happens.

The lesson is simple.  DON'T ever place a computer in the passenger seat of a car/truck.  Always place the computer on the floor with a nice blanket covering it.

Hopefully I'll have email back in 1-2 days.  I'll be able to check here for messages periodically.  My work computer can access this site.

Levi

Re: Thanks Salva
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2004, 02:40 pm »
Your HDD can be saved.  Your data should still be intact.  

If you are running Windows XP,  you can have the computer tech install it with your new hardware.  Then you can be back online ASAP with your data.  I tried this with Windows98 2-3yrs(wow!) ago and I  have to re-load the drivers for the video, nic, systemboard and remove the old drivers.  All things being equal, that is if your OS is running without problems prior to the accident.

Just my 2cents.

Quote from: David Ellis
I am still down on email at home.  The problem was totally a self-induced error - dumb!

My computer was slightly broke and the guys at the local computer store are really great about verifying hardware problems.  They don't charge me for their time if I buy the parts from them.  Also, their parts are darn cheap - about the same as online cost.  Hence, I figured taking my computer to these guys for a peek would be smart.  The store is only 3 miles from home.

I was very careful to place the computer in  ...

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
I am back online
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2004, 04:48 pm »
... and working through about 2 zillion spam messages.

I managed to get my system working without dumping my hard drive.  I am still having some problems with USB drivers no loading properly, but this is very minor.